Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Went down hard last season, not sure if i should get another bike..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear that youre ok and ready to ride again. my parents have seen me on my little 125 dirtbike and they know i have a fast nature anyways. they are right and they should be worried as they are parents. but i do ride as careful as possible and i always watch out for for dumb drivers. i just got cut off for the first tine by a benz to where i had to lock up the rear tire to swing the bike out of the way, low speed of course but it could of led to potential eccident... and im not gonna lie, i do 100-120 sometimes but its only for few seconds just before i get off of the freeway. and its straight away, with no traffic.

my parents started to accept that i have a bike now and they will not chenge it no matter what. so i guess they deal with it. my dad even asked me for a ride, i told him hell no.lol.

so i guess what im trying to say is that it is your life and no matter what you do that is little bit risky, your parents will worry, but they have to deal with it and understand that it makes you happy.

i keep telling my mom how i am careful and i always watch out for other people and i even trow in there that it made me a better driver as well. you just have to find a way to ease them into the idea. and most importantly be careful.

good luck

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
glad to hear that youre ok and ready to ride again. my parents have seen me on my little 125 dirtbike and they know i have a fast nature anyways. they are right and they should be worried as they are parents. but i do ride as careful as possible and i always watch out for for dumb drivers. i just got cut off for the first tine by a benz to where i had to lock up the rear tire to swing the bike out of the way, low speed of course but it could of led to potential eccident... and im not gonna lie, i do 100-120 sometimes but its only for few seconds just before i get off of the freeway. and its straight away, with no traffic.

my parents started to accept that i have a bike now and they will not chenge it no matter what. so i guess they deal with it. my dad even asked me for a ride, i told him hell no.lol.

so i guess what im trying to say is that it is your life and no matter what you do that is little bit risky, your parents will worry, but they have to deal with it and understand that it makes you happy.

i keep telling my mom how i am careful and i always watch out for other people and i even trow in there that it made me a better driver as well. you just have to find a way to ease them into the idea. and most importantly be careful.

good luck
you keep locking that rear brake up and you're gonna have a bad experience Works with dirt bikes in the dirt can led to a high on the street use the front brakes more, they are 80* of a bikes braking power

Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Hello, from a fellow NE PA rider!! Glad you survived that sh*t.

As far as getting back on a bike, do it. As far as your parents, that is going to be a tough hurdle, due to both them being "parents", and the fact that you wrecked at 140. That is ALWAYS going to be on their mind everytime you get on a bike, whether you do 40 or 140 now. But, if you TRULY learned your lesson, they should be ok with your decision. After all, it is your decision. Jut don't give them a reason to overly worry about you.

It may be "fun" to try to push the speeds on the bike, but you found out the hard way how not fun it can be. Take it slow, literally and figuratively. Just like when you were young, you fall off your bike and get back on.

Stay safe!!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

by all means get a bike if you think you want to ride again! I'm glad to hear you survived your crash!

As for your parents...yeah they will stress a little, it's to be expected.

my best advice is sign up for a MSF safety course...good news for you: You live in Pennsylvania, our Dept. of Transportation covers the cost for the course for you! MSF's Basic course supplies a bike for you, while their Experienced course lets you supply the bike.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
If you think you just want to get out on a bike for the pure riding experience, and not to do 140mph with your *** on fire, then get something like a 08-11 Ninja 250R - they pop up all over my area on Craigslist for ~$2800. They don't look bad, and can't really get you into triple digits without you working them really hard, and ~60mpg I think.

Or there's that new CBR250 out this year.

If you think you've learned your lesson, then sure get whatever you want, but if you're sitting here reading my post saying man I couldn't live with the lack of power on a 250, then you're definitely looking for something you can drive really fast on again, so be careful.
I was actually reading it saying the same thing haha. I don't think i'll ride as reckless as i did but i know just because how i am i'll ride like a normal rocket rider, smart but not slow i guess lol

Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
you learned your lesson?

then get on with it. get another bike and start riding. just take it easy... as there will be moments that will scare you since the last time you rode you went down at 140. anytime the front end gets light, anytime you have to be hard on the brakes, mid corner bumps, etc. at first will probably give you a pretty good scare. after you wreck, you have to teach yourself to not get scared and over-react to things that happen during riding for the first few weeks.

sounds like if all you broke was your leg and two vertabrae, you were wearing gear so that is good. i'm sure you now know the importance of it.

what kind of trouble did you get into if you don't mind me asking?
I was actually only wearing a helmet and gloves along with jeans and a t-shirt. but i ended up getting 14 points on my license in new york but luckily im from PA so i dont lose my license. but they got me with a 115 in a 65, illegal lane change and thats it but they tried to get me with a reckless but i got lucky.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
Hello, from a fellow NE PA rider!! Glad you survived that sh*t.

As far as getting back on a bike, do it. As far as your parents, that is going to be a tough hurdle, due to both them being "parents", and the fact that you wrecked at 140. That is ALWAYS going to be on their mind everytime you get on a bike, whether you do 40 or 140 now. But, if you TRULY learned your lesson, they should be ok with your decision. After all, it is your decision. Jut don't give them a reason to overly worry about you.

It may be "fun" to try to push the speeds on the bike, but you found out the hard way how not fun it can be. Take it slow, literally and figuratively. Just like when you were young, you fall off your bike and get back on.

Stay safe!!
Yea i took that coarse because i had to to take it to work, i actually got a perfect score on written and riding but was the 1st to go down in my class hahah, shows that you can be a good rider and still f*ck up like i did by panicking and grabbing the brakes to hard

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Glad to hear you're alright. I just bought an '01 F4I, going to pick it up tomorrow. Thoughts of wrecking have been going through my mind since I decided to get a bike but with the way I see it I could die tomorrow from something completely unrelated. So it's time to start living life a little more. I'd say get another bike, especially if you love it. That and I noticed you live in Scranton which is only about an hour from where I live in NY, and I'd like to meet as many people around with bikes as I can haha.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

How did you not get charged with wreckless driving after all that!!?? haha
I got charged with wreckless doing 89 (but got out of it)

I say get another bike but you should probably slow down lol...
and yea locking up the rear is nasty i know

you said you were chasing your friend...?

Its hard NOT to pin it when your buddy pulls away from you, its just something you are going to have to learn you know??

Old 03-31-2011, 01:13 AM

I think out of all the people who want to ride, it might be those who have learned a painful lesson that are best suited to saddle up once more.

Quick Reply: Went down hard last season, not sure if i should get another bike..