Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Went down hard last season, not sure if i should get another bike..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went down hard last season, not sure if i should get another bike..

so last season in april i bought a 636 and sold my f4i, it was a dumb decision because the f4i is a better bike in my opinion, so in august i wrecked my 636 at 140 and ended up breaking my left femur, fractured 2 vertebra's in my lower back, mild road rash and a concussion but i easily could of died. What happened is me and my buddy were being dumb of coarse and screwing around on the highway and then all of a sudden he took off down the highway and i followed but i was a little bit back prob like 100 feet or so and we came around a corner and there was a statie in a turn off and he must of not seen me but he seen my friend so he threw the lights on and started to pull out but he seen me last second and jammed the brakes just before he hit the roadway. Of coarse when this all happened i panicked and grabbed the brakes to hard and went into a death wobble, the bike hit the ground and so did i, the bike slid into the statie and i hit the bike with my leg flipped over the car and flew about 40 yards into some grass. the bike is obv totaled and i was laid up for 4 months, but lately with the nice spring weather coming i've been getting the riders itch really bad, now i know im going to ride alot smarter and safer but the thing im worried about is putting my parents in a stressful situation with me riding again. Any opinions are appreciated but please don't talk down to me or tell me im an idiot because i obv know i effed up so i don't need people telling me that, i just want to know what you guys would do in my situation? Thanks guys

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 PM

when i was eight i had a bike with a sticky throttle. I flew out of my garage and ran straight into my dads truck. I pretty much clotheslined myself, and my knee swelled to the size of a softball. From then on i refused to get back on two wheels until i was ten. When i got back on i cursed myself for not getting right back up and on it for those two years.

It made me realise that:

I will NEVER give up riding, whether it is on the dirt or the pavement. There is nothing else that can compare to it, and no one that makes me feel like my bike does, not a psychologist that could top a blip of the throttle and the raise of the wheels. As soon as i sit on the bike....it all goes away.

so ya, i wouldnt stop riding if i was you. In my mind you didnt die so you could continue to ride.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM

I started riding when I was six. My freshman year in high school I crashed my dirtbike. Shatter both bones in my lower leg and broke my ankle in three places. My mom sold my dirtbike. My senior year in high school I bought my first CBR (an f2). My mom hates that I ride. I sold that bike after about 6 months and had to go almost 3 years without another street bike. (I had had dirtbikes in the time but they just don't do it for me anymore). It was the worst part of my life that I can remember. Riding is my escape and it's a part of me that is so deeply engraved that it will never leave and not riding is not an option for me. My bike is non-negotiable. It's mine and it's paid off and I know that no matter what happens (save for theft-knock on wood) I will have it. My mom still hates that I ride but she deals with it and she know's its part of who I am.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM

i love riding and its an escape for me too, i used to choose riding over everything because it was an escape for me too. i just dont like stressing my family because it kinda makes me seem selfish. i kinda feel like storing it at my buddy's house just to save them from the stress. only thing that was weird was i sat on my buddy's gsxr 1000 like 2 months after i wrecked and it kinda freaked me out, but i still think about riding everyday so i think its inevitable that im gonna get another one. im jus curious if i am being a selfish a$$hole if i get another bike?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM

If it significantly stresses your family I would be careful jumping back in until you mature some.

If you think you are going to ride tentatively that can also be a bad decision and reason not to jump back in. Those are my thoughts on it...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think you just want to get out on a bike for the pure riding experience, and not to do 140mph with your *** on fire, then get something like a 08-11 Ninja 250R - they pop up all over my area on Craigslist for ~$2800. They don't look bad, and can't really get you into triple digits without you working them really hard, and ~60mpg I think.

Or there's that new CBR250 out this year.

If you think you've learned your lesson, then sure get whatever you want, but if you're sitting here reading my post saying man I couldn't live with the lack of power on a 250, then you're definitely looking for something you can drive really fast on again, so be careful.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
If you think you just want to get out on a bike for the pure riding experience, and not to do 140mph with your *** on fire, then get something like a 08-11 Ninja 250R - they pop up all over my area on Craigslist for ~$2800. They don't look bad, and can't really get you into triple digits without you working them really hard, and ~60mpg I think.

Or there's that new CBR250 out this year.

If you think you've learned your lesson, then sure get whatever you want, but if you're sitting here reading my post saying man I couldn't live with the lack of power on a 250, then you're definitely looking for something you can drive really fast on again, so be careful.
+1

Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you learned your lesson?

then get on with it. get another bike and start riding. just take it easy... as there will be moments that will scare you since the last time you rode you went down at 140. anytime the front end gets light, anytime you have to be hard on the brakes, mid corner bumps, etc. at first will probably give you a pretty good scare. after you wreck, you have to teach yourself to not get scared and over-react to things that happen during riding for the first few weeks.

sounds like if all you broke was your leg and two vertabrae, you were wearing gear so that is good. i'm sure you now know the importance of it.

what kind of trouble did you get into if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrat's you survived to tell the tale. Anyhow sounds like this is now more of a
"how do I NOT get the parents all wound up" deal. No easy answers there but a few
ways might be to take safety classes and advanced rider classes etc and demonstrate
to them that you are seriously going about getting back into riding in a mature , structured
and trained fashion............. it'll make them feel a "bit" better but not until you get a
year or two in accident free will they begin to relax ................we all know the deal
you only have to google news "motorcycle accident" to see the fatality rates on a
daily basis ......... they are not comforting statistics by any stretch of the imagination.
For most parents .....and I've kids myself ............. it's just downright unnerving :
when considering the potential of losing one of your kids in a motorcycle accident.

Ride again man , Ride smart & above all Ride safe

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conrice
you learned your lesson?

then get on with it. get another bike and start riding. just take it easy... as there will be moments that will scare you since the last time you rode you went down at 140. anytime the front end gets light, anytime you have to be hard on the brakes, mid corner bumps, etc. at first will probably give you a pretty good scare. after you wreck, you have to teach yourself to not get scared and over-react to things that happen during riding for the first few weeks.

sounds like if all you broke was your leg and two vertabrae, you were wearing gear so that is good. i'm sure you now know the importance of it.

what kind of trouble did you get into if you don't mind me asking?
I still get scared after my last get off a few years ago and it was just a lil lowside lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Went down hard last season, not sure if i should get another bike..