Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well it looks like the economy bit me too.... lost my job today

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well it looks like the economy bit me too.... lost my job today

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi
maybe there's something else out there for me. I've been thinking of getting into HVAC, though I would like to go back to school and get something like an electrical or mechanical engineering degree... we'll see I guess!
Hey dude,

I am a u n ion electrician in richmond, va. Depending on where you live you can make a TON of money as a journeyman. Just thought i would drop a line about it, and dont let the misconception of being laid off all the timedeter you(on any un ion). You show up on time, work your time, andyou'll stay employed. Good Luck in whatever you do!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 PM

good luck to you on finding something soon.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Thanks guys.... yea I'm gonna spend the next couple days thinking long and hard about what I'm going to do. I've gotta decide now, cuz if I go back to school I'm just going to have to get a job to pay the bills. Workign on cars (read: flat rate)and going to school would be damn near impossible... I was working 8 am to 7 pm every day M-F just to be able to make a 40 hour paycheck for the week... I don't think I could add school on top of that! I'll figure something out though... I always do
Depending on where you live and your obligations you should be able to manage school and work. I have friends that make serious bank ($50-60k/year)working 30 hours a week just at night. There is a lot of money in the service industry and the hours are usually conducive to going to school.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Go hit up the unemployment line now.
When i was laid off last year, i did it all online... never seen a person or talked to anyone

Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: NY Erion929

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Go hit up the unemployment line now.
When i was laid off last year, i did it all online... never seen a person or talked to anyone

Where at?? Don't want to go that route, but just in case I have to....

Old 11-09-2008, 12:47 AM

every state has a different website with different laws. google is the best way to find out. Hope it doesn't come to that... good luck mang

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Ironmang

Well some good news.... I've got a job interview this afternoon, and it sounds very promising It's at GreenLeaf Auto Recyclers in Monroe, GA. They're a huge nationwide auto recycler.... a buddy of mine works there and this position has been open for a little bit, and he's been trying to get me to come over there cuz he thinks I'd do perfect.He said it's an awesome company to work for too. It's for a dismantler, so I'd get to take cars/trucks apart and not have to put them back together (the best!!).

I went over to my old job this morning and got a letter of recommendation from my old boss... now just waiting for my clothes to finish in the drier and I'm off. Wish me luck!!

Oh yea and from the sound of it, after training and whatnot, I might be able to make nearly double what I was... hoping for the best

Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Good luck Jared. That was actually my first job ever, although around here the pay really sucks for that type of job. It was fun though, and i really learned a lot. Plus usually when your done ripping the guts out, you get to take a saw or plasma cutter and cut the car in half to salvage the front clip

Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM

that manager willl write you a hellaofa letter of rec i bet.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Ironmang

Well I'm back from my interview, which went very VERY well! I think it'll work out... he said they're going to be making a decision in the next few days. They were glad to hear that I came from working on trucks, since that's what everybody always bitches about and usually slows them down.

We'll see what happens... I got my fingers crossed

Quick Reply: Well it looks like the economy bit me too.... lost my job today