Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well it looks like the economy bit me too.... lost my job today

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Well it looks like the economy bit me too.... lost my job today

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

ROAD TRIP!
200k iron mang on the way???

Sorry to hear that man but I'm very impressed the way you put it out. Good luck!!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that dude.

I was listening to NPR on the way home today and its amazing how a few schools in Wisconsin, a bank in Ireland and the bonds in Philadelphia are so damn intertwined.

I'm hoping I dont have to worry about this. Monday, I might be meeting with a few consultants as per the board of directors. The thought is scaring the crap out of me.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That blows Jared. You got youth on your side and by your post its evident you are already aware things could be much worse .. good outlook mang. One door closes and another opens and all that. Without getting fatherly or preachy, I say it*s the perfect opportunity to take a hard look at what you really enjoy and are passionate about and set a path towards attaining that goal. Good luck bro.

Edit: Meant to say the HVAC thing is fine if your passionate about it? or if you just want something to get some income coming in but Im sure you know that once you start doing that you*ll be busy and may not be able to focus as freely on what you want as a career path.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother are you opposed to working outside the country. Not recruiting here, not even for my company for companies like Halliburton and KBR are desperate most of the time for mechanics. Diesel mechanics are a hot commodity contracts pay upwards of the $90,000 or more. It is dangerous work, given the areas in which you would be working in, but I thought I would throw it out there

Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Sorry to hear Jared. As skilled as you are thoughyou will find work. I just went thru this myself, only took me 2 weeks to find a new job, and i wasnt really trying that hard. People are NOT buying new cars, and there are shops that are staying busy. I am very sure if you choose to stay in your current line of work, you will find something.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Very sorry to hear that. Mad props for the way your handling it though. I didnt handle it as well.

I lost my job in July and have been back in college Since Aug. Not a good time to go back to school with a 15 month old, but I gotta do what I gotta do. I dont have a degree and there was no way without one I would pull in the kind of money I was making. Another year and a half and I'll be done. I had to cash out my 401K and dwindle all of my savings. I should be fine for another year and a half, I just hope theres work out there.

good luck to you in your search.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: justasquid

Very sorry to hear that. Mad props for the way your handling it though. I didnt handle it as well.

I lost my job in July and have been back in college Since Aug. Not a good time to go back to school with a 15 month old, but I gotta do what I gotta do. I dont have a degree and there was no way without one I would pull in the kind of money I was making. Another year and a half and I'll be done. I had to cash out my 401K and dwindle all of my savings. I should be fine for another year and a half, I just hope theres work out there.

good luck to you in your search.

Yea man I hear ya there.... gotta be really rough trying to go back to school with a young'n [:-] I can imagine! Makes me glad I'm single, so the only thing I have to worry about is myself... well and the doggie, lol. I do have an Associates degree now (applied science), but would like to go back and get a better degree. My dad never went to college and it's haunted him his whole life with not being able to get a good job in something he's interested in. Now at 60 years old he's still struggling to find a decent job to pay the bills, and has nearly nothing for retirement, so he's pretty much screwed. He made me promise him that I would at least get a Bachelors degree at some point, so I didn't endup in the same boat at him. With the way the economy is headed, I don't think that would be all too hard to do!

Soooo now I've just gotta figure out what I want to do, and how I'm gonna pay for it. A buddy of mine has a job opening at his company.... he works for a very large auto recycler here locally, and they need a dismantler. Might work in the meantime to pay the bills, and he said he's almost positive he could get me in

Kinda funny how stuff works out sometimes.... this whole past yearI've been severly strained financially. When I moved up here to GA last year I was planning on sharing a nice decent size 3br house with another guy and splitting the rent. He had been out of town for several months but was planning on returning shortly after I moved in. Well I moved in and he decided he wasn't moving back, so I was stuck paying the full rent on this house by myself. I tried finding a roomate but not much luck since I was out in BFE. With work being so slow at times, I was having a really hard time with it. I was looking for another place to live but was having a very hard time finding something that would allow my dog and had a yard, that was in my price range. Then in August, my very good friend Jereds' (also a now ex-worker, lol) parents got in a huge fight and his dad moved out. Since his mom would no longer be able to fork the mortgage, and they knew I was looking for a place to live, they asked me if I wanted to move in, so towards the end of Sept I did... it was a win/win situation for both of us. Much cheaper rent for me, no utilities, and 30 miles closer to work (well... was), so I'm saving a good chunk of change, and they won't lose their house. Plus it's doggie friendly as they already have 3 dogs and a huge fenced in yard, plus Jered has a black/silver F4i so he's a good riding buddy too [8D]. Then since I had all my utilities turned off when I left the old place, I got all my activation deposits back last week (about $375). Then this week I get canned from work, but having much cheaper living expenses now, and my holiday pay and x-mas club contributions coming back to me, as well as another paycheck.... so I know I'll be alright at least for a little bit. But now that opportunity has presented itself for me to go back to school, it will be much much easier (or should I say even possible) for me to do so with my current living situation. I would NEVER have been able to do it under the living conditions I was in before... absolutely no way. Just really weird how all the pieces of the puzzle just seemed to drop into place all at once and in perfect order.... really makes you think! I think that's a sign that the door just swung wide open and the time is right for me to make a move and do something to better myself [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 AM

So um.............. what his mom look like.....

Old 11-08-2008, 05:33 AM

sorry to hear man that really sucks. At least you got a positive attitude about it. I work for a smaller (10 shops) car auto repair shop in ohio we have been busier than the dealers. I cant believe that would let you go with being a diesel tech you guys are few and far between.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

so we'll see maybe there's something else out there for me. I've been thinking of getting into HVAC

ha! i'd steer clear, brother. thats what i do, HVAC. unless you like 120+ degree attics where you're balancing on trusses while trying to put together an airhandler that you had to take completely apart JUST to get it IN the attic, or being in crawl spaces where your only able to crawl on your stomach and taking a breath makes space even tighter........and you're down there so long w/ barely and light that you're begining to name the moon crickets, bugs, snakes.

Quick Reply: Well it looks like the economy bit me too.... lost my job today