Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well, good/bad/indifferent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well, good/bad/indifferent?

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

Since when in the United States is it legal for anyone under 21 to consume alcohol? I don't see how a state or local ordinance can supercede a federal law?
correct me if i'm wrong, but i am pretty sure here in ohio, if you are under 21, your parents can buy alcohol for you as long as you are with them when you drink it. they can't buy it for you and then you take it somewhere. i think you can even enter a bar (as ong as you are 18) with a parent and they can buy you a drink at the bar, but the bartender has to give the drink your parent and then your parent gives it to you. like i said, i think this is how it is in ohio. i may be wrong, but i have heard that when i was younger from a liquor agent.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Well my big problem is this...

A lot of people get upset when they think cops don't do enough with respect to fair policing-practices. In fact, I'd say most people think cops are biased...

This story says to me, that a city cop responded to a call, made an observation and given his training and experience, and decided to hook up the doc.

So now you've got a cop, who MUST have known this was going to be possibly risky, who stuck his neck out in a sense (trust me, there are major politics in po-po bidness) and decided that given the circumstances, he was going to arrest the doc just like anyone else.

Fast forward a week later and you've got a prosecuting attorney (who is supposed to be on the same side as da po-po) who tells you your work is wrong, what you saw was wrong, and what you thought you saw was wrong and in light of all that the officers report (which I'm sure he took some serious time writing before turning it in) gets tossed and everything gets dropped.

It's situations like these that can leave a lasting, and sometimes detrimental impact on an officers ability to efficiently do his job. Situations like these cause officers to second-guess themselves and their training. That's not good when you're in the field and you need to be able to make a decision. An officer needs to know that if he presents solid findings to the PA, that the PA is going to have his back and not **** off his hard work.

I personally know the offcier that made the arrest. He worked the DWI van for 2 years (that meant for 2 years all he did was drive a police van around from 10pm - 3am (called WolfPack) making stops and arresting for DWI's.

Folks, a DWI is one of the most intense and involved cases a street officer can be involved in. So much time and energy getting everything right, over and over and over again. Ofc. McBane had a 99.9% conviction rating during his 2 years in DWI enforcement. Only one out of 200+ got off and it was because he was from out of state, plead guilty to a lesser charge.

So you're telling me this guy who can write a report that could implicate your grandma in the JFK assasination all ofa sudden can't do his job?

All of a sudden he can't tell when someone is having a party?

It's just very suspicious and the whole story lends itself to my conspiracy theories (). I just think, once you know a handfull of facts about those involved, that it's blatantly obvious it's all about money money money.

Ultimately I wanted to point out that cops take the majority of the street hate - trust me, you don't want prosectuing attorney running around the streets, slithering little ****s.

Our city prosecutor Becky Spencer... oh dang she's a hawtie.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:51 AM

Kid, I think you are making more of this than needs to be. So what if you know this guy or his conviction rate. He saw kids drinking as they were coming out of a house and assumed they were drinking inside. He apparentlythought the adult was lying and so he arrested. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the guy did not allow the alcohol there and the kids acted alone. Does that make him a lessor cop? I simply don't see that. It's not like he fabricated evidence or trampled anyone's civil rights. People make mistakes.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

I never said he was a lesse cop.

I said someone with such a high conviction rate getting a case tossed for, "insufficient evidence" should warrant some sort of attention.

And I'm not really making abig deal out of anything - I posted ultimately to allow people who might otherwise never be exposed to such facts, to show that sooo much more goes on behind the scenes and sometimes it's not a bad idea to remember that police officers can get frustrated and careless for a variety of reasons. Good cops can go bad after so much BS. It takes a very unique personality to make a career out of LE.

It's easy and much more conversational when a cop is beating someone for, "no reason," right? But let's not talk about how a cop might have gotten to that point... ?

I'm also not condoning any unbecoming actions from a LEO. When your heart isn't in it anymore you've got to get out. That's exactly what I did.

I still fail to see where I'm making a big deal out of something. Just having some conversation and sharing some opinions, is all.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM

Well, the fact that the guy probably had money/a good attorneyhad something to do with it. Perhaps the guy who barely could afford his house would have pled out because he had a crappy attorney. maybe this guy's attorney found something. Who knows. It just seemed like you took this persoanlly because you knew the guy and went off on several paragraphs about how dangerous drinking is and that the cop has a great record so for something to get tossed there has to be something going on.

Hell, for all we know, his sucess rate would be 50% but the other people keep getting crappy lawyers.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

I never said anything about the dangers of drinking...

Are we talking about the same thing... ?

Yeah I have no doubt that money is a mitigating factor.

Put it this way, if I came on here every day from now on and posted uplifting pictures, never got involved in an arguement and stopped voicing my opinion - wouldn't you think there was somethinggoing on?

That's all I'm saying about the officers record. The same PA that would base his career off of the officers DUI reports for2 yearsnow finds him all of a sudden, "without probable cause." That's all I'm saying...

Just trying to stimulate conversation I guess.

If you were talking about the DWI being an, "involved case," all I was saying was that sooo much time and energy go into those - after long enough a cop learns to write a no BS report with NO FLUFF ("fluff" is a reference to non-pertaining facts in an official report).

Like I said, the guy can write a report that would implicate yo grandma in the JFK assasination so for the whole case to have been dropped is surprising.

I expected community service, restitution, probation... something! Not nothing.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM

I can't help but ask, what kind of grown man wants a bunch of kids at his house? Dudes a pedo for sure

Old 05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 05-15-2008, 02:37 PM

Sorry, you didn't mention dangers of drinking. My bad reading once again.

Still, I wouldn't think twice when the prosecutor says that the guy didn't do anything wrong based on ALL witnesses. I would think that the police officer first responding to a scene wouldn't be able to gather every single detail of every crime that takes place. And this isn't a DUI anyway. Perhaps 6 kids left before the cop got there and the DA questioned them.

Second, I would think that cops would "fluff" DUI reports even more than your standard report in order to make their case stronger. if you pulled a guy over and he slurred his words and failed the field test, would it be a stretch or even given a second look if the cop also wrote "smelled of alcohol"??? The video on the car wouldn't show that and it would be easy for the officer to imbellish the report in that manner, yet it would give weight to the charges.

Supercop just got one wrong. Maybe he worked a car accident involving kids and alcohol the week or day before and figured he should be very cautious. This is the time of year where all the schools put wrecked cars in front of the building showing dangers of drinking and driving. Maybe the heightened awareness made him feel that the guy was responsible.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

if you pulled a guy over and he slurred his words and failed the field test, would it be a stretch or even given a second look if the cop also wrote "smelled of alcohol"???
No, that's good report writing. That's not fluff. Anyone here ever get a DWI? Take a look at the officers report, if you still have you discovery package. Again, "fluff"is, "facts not pertaining to," a specific incident.

You're failing to see my point, Mike. The witnesses questioned were teenagers. Of course they said he had nothing to do with it.

The area in which the doc lives here is an upscale suburban community. I've been to these parties in high school. The cool, rich kid that everyone likes throws a party at their parents' house. Sometimes parents were there, sometimes not. They ALL knew what we were doing.

Witness questioned didn't include his neighbors - which may seem odd considering they were the ones who called in the noise complaint...

You see the oddities at work, here?

And I do share your sentiments about the time of year and young drivers. Be safe!