Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wave & Nod or Nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009 | 05:20 PM

Southeastern Massachusettes waves going strong pretty much anyone on 2 wheels chucks a wave or a nod

Old 12-02-2009 | 07:04 PM

In Korea, riders wave and/or bow. There's still a divide between cruisers and sport riders, but it ends up being like 50/50 from either side of the fence. As far as younger riders I see, they only wave/bow if they are in a group, otherwise they just give me a quizzical look. How do I know that they're younger? Because it's like none of them wear helmets around here.

If you're ever on the twisties/mountain roads, you'll always get a wave/bow because we all know why we're there and riding the way we do.

BTW, I always thought that tapping the top of your helmet was to say thank you? I remember me and my friend in his STi were setting to race a bike when we noticed cops up ahead and turned on our blinkers. He geared up, rode alongside us and kept tapping his head as if to say thanks.

Old 12-02-2009 | 09:03 PM

First off to Raylee: how do you bow on a bike?

Hmm... Here in Philly kinda hard to say. Philly is weird sometimes. Sometimes the people don't extend courtesy / respect until the other person does. So you can see how well that works out (two bikers both waiting for the other to wave before they do).

I've thrown a couple nods and got no response when passing. Wrote it off to them not seeing the nod (benefit of the doubt). But then 2 situations come to mind:
  1. Was riding through UPenn campus on my way home and saw two riders in race leathers talking people on the sidewalk. When they heard me coming they turned away from the conv and waved at me. I remember cause they stood out so much i waved back (in the middle of the turn )
  2. Again in the middle of UPenn campus I came up behind a rider at a red light. I blipped the throttle while staying behind him (so he wouldn't think I wanted to race). He turned round and waved

Old 12-02-2009 | 09:30 PM

Around here most people do a down low peace gesture type thing.. or nod..

Old 12-02-2009 | 09:55 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

I always wave, unless I'm in a corner and need my left hand. I'd say 99% of the sportbikers wave back or wave first, probably 75% of harleys. Usually the older harley riders always wave.

Old 12-03-2009 | 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
First off to Raylee: how do you bow on a bike?
See what that first smiley is doing? Just imagine that without taking your hands off the handlebars. It's halfway between a nod and a full on Korean/Japanese bow.

Next spring I want to try and film some of the roads around here, you'll see what I mean if I pass any other riders.

Old 12-03-2009 | 02:56 AM

about 99 percent of the time from other sportbike riders, and for some reason scooters. About half the time from cruiser riders around here. I usually wait until I see a cruiser wave or signal, then I will back. I got burned too many times to drop a hand. Funny part is, they are probably thinking the same way...lol.

The one place I have noticed a huge decrease is in town. Out on the road, its much more prevelant. In town, there is just so many people on bikes, people just kind of go on with thier ride.

Old 12-03-2009 | 05:07 AM
|
November 2009 ROTM

Well,by the posts it looks like around the World its still prevailing,the customary Wave/nod/etc.
As a rule i do it every time i ride,except to the Bikers of course.Lets hope future generations continue with this,a thing only Bike riders connect with.

Old 12-03-2009 | 06:08 AM

I see alot of motorcycles doing it around here, and when I was on my 250r all types did. I always wave to Trans Am's, most owners wave back. So i guess I'm used to waving to same types of vehicles.

Old 12-03-2009 | 08:21 AM

It used to be round here that you couldnt pass a biker without getting a quick sideways nod but nowerdays apart from the people that love or hate our group you dont see anything, It's only in the past 2 years it seems to have faded i can quite easily ride from mine to London 95 ish Miles and not get a single wave or nod until i get to london and then it only seems to be the fellow youngsters and stunters that make any effort to even notice that your on a motorcycle, actually seem to get more respect and waves from the Ferrari, Lambo and Astin Martin drivers that come out purposly to race bikers on the way to the bike meet.

As for harley owners and such i can pass one literaly 5 mins away from the london bike meet and they dont even look at you then as soon as they see you get off the bike after doing a wheeley at the bike meet they'll come over and talk to you like a normall person and say how cool they think it is that people have the guts to go out and stunt at the meet were as a few years ago they would have started screaming about how stupid it is that your willing to risk hurting yourself so i dunno if its that harley riders are hating on us still or just that they have lost the noding and waveing tradition as well. Round here anyway.

Quick Reply: Wave & Nod or Nothing?