Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wave & Nod or Nothing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wave & Nod or Nothing?

One thing ive Noticed in 25 Years Riding on the Bitumen,that the customary Wave or Nod at a rider approaching you is a thing of the past it seems.?
You got neither from Harley/Bikers,but yeah Here in Aussie it seems to have gone out the Window..........
Do you do this in your Country?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

obviously not everyone engages you, but i'd say the tradition is at least somewhat healthy in the states.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed here in the states that more people arent doing it. Im always friendly and give harleys the wave to but most of the time they never wave back or even look. As for sport bike riders its 50/50. I think the young generation that didnt grow up around bikes doesnt know what it means. Like the tap the top of your helmet if possible danger is up ahead. Alot of people dont know that.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 AM

i always get the nod from sportbikers on the road... harleys are on and off... there are many harley guys in my area who dont like the sportbikers so they dont do it but there are a few really cool ones who do it because they just love that we are actually out on some type of bike

Old 12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its common to "drop a hand" to other riders in my area. Hand signals warn of LEOs in the area, are used alot...by tapping on top of the helmet.

If I'm in the twisties or tight turn, I'm not going to drop a hand - but I'll nod to acknowledge the other rider if they've done the same.

Too, if I'm riding w/ another rider, I'll kick out a leg/foot to warn of debris in the road or of a large pothole, etc.

As for cruiser riders, there are those that are just good people that will wave...but there are just as many that think that if you're not riding a cruiser also, they're not going to wave.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it used to be that you just being on two wheels was enough & a friendly wave as you passed another bike going the other wave or a nod if you pulled up beside a bike at a stop. I was out the other day a rolled up next to this guy on a cruiser, not even a Harley, but a Kwaka Davidison. Gave him a friendly nod & he just looked away.
I figure a lot of these are wanka's that used to drive cars are now trying to save money on petrol by getting bikes. The sales of bikes & scooters has gone through the roof, so your going to get a lot they don't now about it (or don't care).
But stuff em, I will always acknowledge another rider, if they don't want to wave or nod back, then that's their problem.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Most riders in Denmark and Iceland salutes when riding. In my head its just a great little thing that shows we share the same passion on 2 wheels. You can ofcourse find the "bad ***" harleys that dont, but is that because they cant ride their bike with one hand only And then ofcourse the ones goin over 200 km/h that dont have time to raise hand heh

Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

PLenty of hand waving over here in Chicagoland.
Pretty much everyone across the board from cruisers-sportbikes-beemers-Goldwings

Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 PM

Up here in the great white north (Canada) it is still a common site. I wave to every rider I pass unless Im shifting or in a position where removing a hand from the bars is a dangerous thing to do. If I cant wave I nod. Pretty much every guy or gal on a sportsbike waves but Harleys are probably a 70-30 with 70 being the ones who do wave. One thing that I have noticed is that when I am in my uniform (military) I seam to get more waves then when Im not. Im thinking its just because riders look at me as more of an mature bike rider versus a 21 year old punk on a bike. Then again it could also be that I tend to ride a little slower and keep it on one wheel when in uniform as well. hehe

Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Lots of guys waving up here in Minnesota

Quick Reply: Wave & Nod or Nothing?