Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Watch out for those blown recaps!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out for those blown recaps!

I was riding to work this moring in two lanes of traffic (fast lane) doing about 60 behind a USPS mail truck. I admit I was following a little close, when all of a sudden, the mail truck ran over a big *** piece of blown recap tire off of a semi truck. It threw the recap up and hit the left front side of my bike, my mirror, and my hand. It almost set off a slapper. That **** happened so fast I didn't have any time to react. I had my helmet and gloves on but due to the heat I've been leaving the jacket behind. Lesson learned, back off a little when you can't see around a van truck in front of you and always gear up. My *** is still puckered up.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Default RE: Watch out for those blown recaps!

They did an episode on re-treads killing people on Mythbusters. They can.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 PM

I always thought what it would be like to hit one of those. I think you are lucky that the truck in front of you blew it up and you didnt run it over. I think that if a bike were to hit one of those while it was lying on the ground, it could cause someone to lose control of their bike.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Last week I was in the car with my mom and she was tailgating this SUV. She likes to speed and tailgate. All of a sudden a FULL TIRE! comes out from under the SUV and my mom runs right over it. The car is low to the ground so I felt it hit the floor. I laughed my *** off.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Retired Moderator

You never know what is going to be in front of you when you follow too close. Several years ago, I was following this gal I worked with after shift (in my cage), and the truckon her left side (he was in the fast lane)hit a piece of wood that flew up and hit her driver side. She didn't have any real damage to speak of, but if her back window was open I think it could have hurt someone. Keep your eyes peeled!!!