Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

very sad article

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: very sad article

Dang it. Hit the wrong button.

Old 11-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sceptre

Very sad indeed. I have a 4 year old stepson. One day I was told that while at daycare he had hit and bitten 3 different kids. Granted he was going through some emotional things....his father hasn't been getting him regularly, we had just moved....so I was light on him and had a very stern talk with him and let him know that if he did it again I would bust his butt. A couple of days later, he did it again. I remonded him of the talk we had and what I said I was going to do and then did it. It's been 4 months and no more hitting or biting incidents and when he sees other children doing it he says he doesn't do that because he doesn't want a spanking. Must have worked huh?

Okay. I'll try again. Good for you sceptre. By taking responsibility to teach your son about consequences and responsibility you're making his life and that of those around him a lot more pleasant and easier. To bad more don't do that. Like many of you my first lessons in responsibility and the presence of consequences for behavior came in the form of a parent's hand whacking my backside. That ended when my siblings and I were six or seven. By then we didn't need physical reminders. A day without dinner and bedtime a couple hours early was enough. None of us enjoyed it, but not all lessons are painless or easily learned. My children went through the same learning process and seem to have intact psyches as well as respect for those around them. It works.

Someone above remarked that it takes more than a village to raise a child, that it takes concerned, caring parents. Especially in today's society, where so often both parents have to work just to keep things together, that's difficult. I feel for those of you just starting out or in the middle of raising kids today. It seems my wife and I had it so much easier thirty years ago.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember when this happened it was like 2-3 years ago I believe. I live about 20minutes west of Milwaukee and go to UW-Milwaukee. Anyway, I don't believe that the whole problem lies in no discipline. I believe that ATLEAST half the problem is the kids are not being shown any love by their parents. The parents just do not care. But how can they? Most of their parents are probably only 15ish years older than their kids and their parents before them the same. I do agree that there needs to be some discipline but I don't think beating your kids ie smacking them over the head, slapping their face, punching them (I'm not saying this is what you guys do but I've seen some families that qualify all these as proper punishment) is acceptable. Give the kids some TLC (tender loving care) and let them know that mom and dad will always love them even if and when they screw up. Let them know too that if and when they do something wrong there are CONSEQUENCES. =)

Kids learn from their parents. I'd say about 99% of my friends that smoke their parents smoke as well and roughly 75% of my friends who use foul language on a regular basis you should hear their parents speak same goes for drinking. It's like they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I would be willing to bet that these kids ARE disciplined by their parents. But they are disciplined for things like leaving their shoes out or silly things like that and I bet that they get smacked around pretty good so they think it's ok to beat people.

Mike

PS you should have seen the pictures of the guy he was pretty messed up. =(

Old 11-08-2006, 09:47 PM

Life isn't gonna give my kids a time out. I'd rather beat on my kids *** now than have a cop beat on his head 15 years down the road. Not saying an *** whoopin is the answer for everything, but sometimes you gotta draw that line.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Retired Moderator

I love that movie "Parenthood" with Steve Martin. It is a GREAT movie! One of the scenes talks about a person having to get a liscense to have a dog, but not to be a parent. That is very true. Sometimes having a mom and dad doesn't matter... you have to be a good parent. These kids in the story probably didn't have good guidence, whether they had a mom AND dad, got smacked, or otherwise. There are a lot of factors. As parents, you have to always seek the best for your children. What guidence do these sexualy active kids have? What guidence do these violent kids have? Our personal excuses or reasons due to OUR childhood are no reason to be a bad parent...we have to be dilligent and active in our children's upbringing. I think it goes a long way in the active choices of our children, good or bad. By the way, my 13 year old still hugs and kisses me, I tell him the truth about reality ( good or bad), and he just got a 3.5 gpa. I don't think he will be involved in a group beating/murder any time soon...am I even still on topic?