Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

uuuugh, help me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default uuuugh, help me!

so i've been riding since april of this year (9K miles so far). i waited until i did atleast 3K to take my g/f for rides (GEAR FROM HEAD TO TOE!!!!). Well, she's since fallen in love w/ the bike and see's the passion i have to ride......and today.........she signed up for the MSF class.

idk, im excited but most of all im worried and scared. i see how people drive while im out riding, and she see's it when she's on the back. i dont know how i would react if i were out riding w/ her (her on her own bike) and someone chatting away on the cellphone cut her off......i feel like i'd lose my temper. this doesnt happen when im by myself, im rather calm about it. but i feel if i see it happen to her, i'll flip!

and there are two girls that ride w/ me from time to time that have their own bikes. i see how guys act when they see them riding. the ride right next to them..........RIGHT next to them hollaring at them and being a complete danger to the female rider........here again, i feel i will completely lose my cool.

its not completely set in stone, for one....she has to pass the class, and two...she has to try to find a bike (actually going to look at a lowered F4i today for her, she's only 5' tall). but is there anyone on here that can relate, or has been through the same and has some helpful info.

im not so much scared that she'll hurt herself as i am others hurting her. or guys acting a'fool and causing her to wreck.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: uuuugh, help me!

as much as you shouldn't have to do this, it might not hurt for her to try to disguise that she's a girl (at least as best as possible). guys are always going to be asses no matter what, so the best defense is to hope they don't know it's a girl riding. it's a crappy thing to have to do, and i don't think any girl should have to do it, but it might mean the difference between her riding safely or being harrassed all the time.

of course it would be best for her to only ride while you're around, at least until you both feel comfortable enough for her to ride on her own, but i'm the same as you... if my fiance were riding and some guy was being an ***, or if someone was too busy texting their sorority sisters and cut her off, i'd probably go ballistic. i can handle someone doing that crap to me because i do everything possible to avoid those situations (never riding right alongside someone, never riding in their blind spot, etc), and if i am cut off i feel confident enough in my riding that i can maneuver safely away. but if it were to happen to my girl i'd be really pissed.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM

well, she already has full gear, none of which are extremely girly or pink. but im sure you'll be able to tell she's a girl (tight pants and all, lol).

i already stressed to her that i'd prefer she only rides w/ me at first and she agreed. but i know that will go out the window once she see's how fun riding actually is. i can definately see where having her as a constant riding partner could be fun, but i am already getting worried and she hasnt even taken the class yet. plus i guess im scared to see her fail (IF she doesnt pass), to say she's excited about all this would be quite the understatement. i plan on helping her all i can w/ studying for the test and any questions she may have. but its hard to teach her ON the bike things b/c she cannot flat foot my bike, she cant even tippy toe it, lol.

just concerned for her safety. and thanks for the input brotha! glad im not alone, haha.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM

She sounds short ! I would try to work it out so that whatever she rides she can put both feet down flat. That'll give her room to come to a stop on unever ground, stuff like that where you have to reach you legs even farther... Goodluck, ride safe. Im sure you guys will ride together most of the time.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure she's geared up, and that her bike is safe (size, mechanics etc.) and let her enjoy herself. Every single person that goes up on two wheels has a certain amount of risk. That's why we wear gear etc.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 PM

Ninja 250...

Old 08-31-2007, 04:15 PM

Well, your concern is a valid one. I have a similar scenerio. My best friends girl started riding after she saw us and got a taste of it. He took her out to parking lotsto train her and then she took a standard class. She was hit on the highway on her 636 by a couple having an argument when the steering wheel was yanked and they pulled on to her. Though she is recovering she will never be the same. They replaced a lung among other things...I didn't even know that they could do that.

I'm sure that your girl will be going to a class where they train on Honda Rebels or another small bike so it shouldn't be too hard. If she can't pass that then don't let her on the road.....period. Safety is first as you know.

As far as her getting attention.....she will actually probably like that part. I don't ride for the attention but it is still cool sometimes.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 AM

well, thanks for all the input, fellas!

and she's already got a icon helmet, gloves, leather jacket, reinforced jeans and over the ankle boots...........i wouldnt let her ride on the back of mine until she had al the above.

well, i'll keep posted on what happens w/ the class. thanks again.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:36 AM

Jaynd, you're a lucky man. I would love it if my girl wanted to get into riding. (She wants me to get a big cruiser so she can ride on back -- something that doesn't thrill me all that much. I've never really cared for having a passenger. Oh well).

Make sure she gets a bike, any bike, she has NO problems handling. If she gets spooked in the beginning she may quickly lose that passion for riding.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 AM

haha thanks wildcat. i mean, i guess it has its ups and downs. i can see where the constant riding partner is a plus. when no one else wants to go riding, she'll always be ready and willing to go! but at the same time, i'll be worried the whole time, watching her every move and those around her very carefully.

so here's my next question...........

is it best if i rode infront of her, so she can follow my line and take notes....and i just keep checking on her in my mirror....

or is it best if i rode behind her? i know that riding infront of someone w/ much more experience can make you extremely nervous and i dont want her to feel like she's being completely critiqued and graded. but i feel from behind her i'll be able to watch what she does and have a better view of people around her driving.