Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

TX new law coming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok- I take it back - TX requires a helmet for riders under 21.

apparently there's issues with folks riding 2 up on bikes without passenger seats and footrests, without helmets, without an M-endorsement, probably without insurance, and without helmets.

I would guess that the new law gives law enforcement more "probable cause" routes to pull a potential offender over to have a look-see at the legality of the driver.

Although take a 19 year old with his girlfriend on the back of your favorite brand of literbike in Dallas and see how fast it turns into a high-speed chase.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
Even if it's just for sportbikes I don't think it's dumb at all. Sounds quite sensible to me..

Over here it's mandatory to get your license (not just a simple theoretical exam and you're done, it's actually quite extensive and expensive. It's a theoretical exam and two practical exams). The minimum age is 18 and if you are <21 you get a 'light' license which has a max of 25kw (either lower cc or restricted bike). If you get your license at 18 and have it for two years it bumps you up to a full license (unlimited kw) automatically. Getting your license at 21 and older gives you a full license by default. The government is trying to bump that up to 24 I think.

I can't imagine a 16/17 y/o on a 100bhp+ sportbike. Imagine how many more accidents there would be. Sure there are sensible people around that age but the young kids on scooters/mopeds already drive like complete retards (although nowadays you also need to get a proper license for that instead of just a theoretical certificate so it got a bit better).

All in all, sounds sensible to me.

if you look at the crash rate and death rate for motorcycles between the usa and europe (which is where i'm assuming you are), they are not that different. people crash roughly the same amount and die the same amount (i did a study on it in college). and crash rates and mortality rates have been going up for the most part - here and across the pond (despite the increased safety percautions).

and who cares if its sensible. people need to be sensible. another law makes a citizen have to take less responsibility for his or her actions. im all for the most training and proper gear - whatever you want to argue, but people need to be the ones initiating it - not some stupid law.

i've loaded up plenty of women on the back of my bike - all of them had no M class license - and they all handled motorcycling great.

not to mention, the more laws we have - the less each law means. have fewer laws, and enforce them.

thats a STUPID law from a freedom loving state like texas

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is foolish. You are all ignorant who believe this is a good thing especially the comment about a 16 year old and a 17 year old riding.

I got my permit and bike at 17. Nothing was said to me about having to get my license at 18 or going a FULL year with my permit(which expired twice during that period). So What would have been a 6 month wait for my license turned into a whole year of seeing my beautiful bike sit in the garage.

Was I bummed I had a beautiful piece of machine sitting in the garage? Hell yes. Was I pissed there was no written law in the motorcycle hand book about this? Extremely!! I ended up giving the DMV about $70 bucks when It should have been $25.. This is all age discrimination and a way to make $$$ I had to upgrade my license(while it had 2 years left on it,take my road test and then up grade to my motorcycle license...

In the mean time The day I took my road course I failed because I was so excited when I had one part left I forgot to turn right at the red line....

I was more than capable of riding safe on the street at 14,15,16,17 Hell I was probably a lot safer than I am now. I did not take a riders course. Ask me how many times I've been down.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
Even if it's just for sportbikes I don't think it's dumb at all. Sounds quite sensible to me..

Over here it's mandatory to get your license (not just a simple theoretical exam and you're done, it's actually quite extensive and expensive. It's a theoretical exam and two practical exams). The minimum age is 18 and if you are <21 you get a 'light' license which has a max of 25kw (either lower cc or restricted bike). If you get your license at 18 and have it for two years it bumps you up to a full license (unlimited kw) automatically. Getting your license at 21 and older gives you a full license by default. The government is trying to bump that up to 24 I think.

I can't imagine a 16/17 y/o on a 100bhp+ sportbike. Imagine how many more accidents there would be. Sure there are sensible people around that age but the young kids on scooters/mopeds already drive like complete retards (although nowadays you also need to get a proper license for that instead of just a theoretical certificate so it got a bit better).

All in all, sounds sensible to me.
Requiring the passenger to be M class or otherwise certified and singling out sportbikes is what makes it stupid. Certifying the passenger barely improves the safety as the majority of safety in a 2up situation is on the driver. And going after sports bikes specificallly say it's of 2 things:
  1. As someone mentioned, they're looking for an excuse to stop the bike and check the paperwork
  2. They know they have no chance in hell of passing it while it included Harleys and other cruisers

Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see this law as being such a big deal. If the operator is at least 18 and has had a motorcycle license for at least two years and the sport bike is designed to carry more than one person you can carry ANY passenger, regardless of their age or certification. At least that's how I read the details of the law posted on the first page.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Targeting a specific style of bike is RIDICULOUS! If you are going to apply the rule to one, it should be applied to ALL.

That being said, I'm not against passengers having training on how to be a passenger, but any good rider should go over that with a potential passenger before ever taking them anywhere on the bike.

Here in PA, if you take and pass the MSF safety course, you are free to choose to wear a helmet. Otherwise, you are required to be 21 and have held a M class license for 2 years. As far as passengers go, the rider must carry a M class license, and the passenger has to be able to stay on the bike. I believe that all passengers are required to wear a helmet until 21.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by gump
Was I pissed there was no written law in the motorcycle hand book about this?
I'm willing to bet the licensing requirements and regulations are pretty plainly stated in many places. Your state DMV can't just make stuff up as it goes.

The handbook is a training guide for getting your motorcycle endorsement, rules of the road and general safety concerns. It's not the definitive guide for when you become eligible to get that M stamped on your license.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I don't see this law as being such a big deal. If the operator is at least 18 and has had a motorcycle license for at least two years and the sport bike is designed to carry more than one person you can carry ANY passenger, regardless of their age or certification. At least that's how I read the details of the law posted on the first page.
Wow - thanks for pointing that out Jeff - reading comprehension fail on a lot of our parts.

The passenger doesn't have to have an endorsement, unless the driver does not have an endorsement, or hasn't had one for 2 years.

I would guess the understanding there is that the endorsed rider understands the risks of riding with an non-endorsed, or newb rider? I'm betting this is in some effort to limit liability.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHOOPS! I misread a crucial detail in the first post. I somehow missed that it was about the passenger, not the driver. I take it all back (except for the no helmet law thing in some states). My bad!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
The way I read it is that you cannot carry passenger if your bike is not designed to carry one. If it is equipped for riding two up the both rider and passenger have to be 18 and have a M classification.

Stupid law. Wonder how they classify sport tourers.

Sec. 545.4161. OPERATION OF SPORT BIKE. (a) In addition to
the requirements and prohibitions under Section 545.416, an
operator may not carry another person on a sport bike unless the
sport bike is designed to carry more th...an one person
AND:

(1) the operator:

(A) is at least 18 years of age; and

(B) has had a Class M license for at least two
years; or

(2) the other person:

(A) is at least 18 years of age and holds a Class
M license; or

(B) is a motorcycle operator training and safety
course instructor certified under Chapter 662.

(b) An operator of a sport bike shall ensure that a
passenger on the sport bike complies with all department
regulations relating to motorcycle safety."

Quick Reply: TX new law coming?