Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

TX new law coming?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX new law coming?

So, I was having morning chit chat with 65 year old busa guy, a harley guy walked up to us and said TX is trying to pass a law that any passengers on Sportbike have to be 17 or older and have to also have motorcycle license.

I am not ever going to pack anybody, but still.. it seems very dumb.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 AM

On sportbike specifically? Wouldn't matter if it was a cruiser? That's stupid dumb.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:40 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by DagonRais
On sportbike specifically? Wouldn't matter if it was a cruiser? That's stupid dumb.
The guy said "Sportbike" That's why he approached us, sportbikers

Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes its true. It went through pretty fast and is only for sportbikes. Pretty chitty but one to many dumba$$es will ruin it for eveyone.

Here is what i found.

Sec. 545.4161. OPERATION OF SPORT BIKE. (a) In addition to
the requirements and prohibitions under Section 545.416, an
operator may not carry another person on a sport bike unless the
sport bike is designed to carry more th...an one person and:

(1) the operator:

(A) is at least 18 years of age; and

(B) has had a Class M license for at least two
years; or

(2) the other person:

(A) is at least 18 years of age and holds a Class
M license; or

(B) is a motorcycle operator training and safety
course instructor certified under Chapter 662.

(b) An operator of a sport bike shall ensure that a
passenger on the sport bike complies with all department
regulations relating to motorcycle safety."

As long as you have had a M for 2 years you can carry a person. I doubt it will be enforced unless your doing something stupid with a passenger. I know a few police folks who ride bikes with their kids <18 Years old and they wont give it up.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Texas takes a step down from my "Most Sensible State In the U.S." list. It's still about 100 steps above the other 49 tho

Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

Texas takes a step down from my "Most Sensible State In the U.S." list. It's still about 100 steps above the other 49 tho
Haha i still have love for my state mostly because the new rules wont apply to me. Ive had my M endorsment for 3 years and the only person i ride is my wife. All is good.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I dont think this is real, God bless the Republic of Texas

Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
So, I was having morning chit chat with 65 year old busa guy, a harley guy walked up to us and said TX is trying to pass a law that any passengers on Sportbike have to be 17 or older and have to also have motorcycle license.

I am not ever going to pack anybody, but still.. it seems very dumb.
Even if it's just for sportbikes I don't think it's dumb at all. Sounds quite sensible to me..

Over here it's mandatory to get your license (not just a simple theoretical exam and you're done, it's actually quite extensive and expensive. It's a theoretical exam and two practical exams). The minimum age is 18 and if you are <21 you get a 'light' license which has a max of 25kw (either lower cc or restricted bike). If you get your license at 18 and have it for two years it bumps you up to a full license (unlimited kw) automatically. Getting your license at 21 and older gives you a full license by default. The government is trying to bump that up to 24 I think.

I can't imagine a 16/17 y/o on a 100bhp+ sportbike. Imagine how many more accidents there would be. Sure there are sensible people around that age but the young kids on scooters/mopeds already drive like complete retards (although nowadays you also need to get a proper license for that instead of just a theoretical certificate so it got a bit better).

All in all, sounds sensible to me.

EDIT: Ignore aforementioned; very little sleep + reading a post too quickly on an iPhone resulted in sounding like an ***.

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 05-16-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Incapable of reading.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Also, I find completely retarded that some states don't even have a helmet law!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

Kuro - have no fear - notice that no where in there did it mention that the legal M-endorsed passenger has to be wearing a helmet. TX is a "no helmet law" state.

Doesn't it seem kinda stupid to be restricting who can and can't ride b!tch for what I assume are safety reasons, then not requiring them to at least wear a helmet?

Quick Reply: TX new law coming?