Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Track bike title needed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To stay on topic: NO! You do not need a title for the track. The reason is the bike does not need to be registered for the street--it just needs to be safe for the track, and those are two different arenas.

One of the reasons why many track bikes do not have titles is they were bought from organizations that buy salvaged bikes from insurance companies. Scenario: dude wrecks bike, insurance "buys" it from him, insurance company sells bike to salvage outfit, salvage outfit sells bike to consumer. It's a win for everyone. In the end, the consumer needs to ensure the bike is track worthy at their own risk.
This is what I did, which is why I know how it works. I bought a 2005 600rr from Crashedtoys in MN two years ago. The frame had a couple little scratches, and for whatever reason, an insurance-hired inspector declared the bike non-roadworthy--so it has not title. It's a great way to get a bike for the track. I ended up paying about $1100 for a bike that needed bodywork, battery, rearset, and a patch on the radiator. The bad thing is this frame will never get a title, so to get this bike on the street I would need to do a frame swap for a frame with a clean title. I have heard of ways of getting a title for it, but I tried and found only dead ends. It certainly depends on the state, too--that was just my experience in MN.

On a side note, if anyone is thinking about buying a no-title bike, just take down the frame VIN and call your DMV and ask it the bike was reported stolen. Turning a blind eye and laundering a bike with a frame swap is only supporting a market for stolen bikes--endgame: we all lose.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
So how "near brookeville" are you? I'm guessing around corsica.
Yeah...I got a Corsica address.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by aerialspider
To stay on topic: NO!
You explained everything perfectly. Thank you friendly neighborhood spider!

X I grew up here in town and a few of my friends live in corsica, small world. Haha

Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 AM

You're very welcome, my friend!

Old 02-04-2011, 04:33 PM

As was previously mentioned, it depends on the state. In Texas, motor vehicles are supposed to have a title, whether or not they are registered is different. My track bike title specifies "Title Only" and cannot be registered because of the mods (also specifies "REBUILT"). It's an offense to sell a titled vehicle without supplying the title.

Some racing orgs require you have the title and will spot checks VINs and titles. I've seen the AutoTheft Task force come out and check VINs at races, too (and haul away a few stolen bikes from trackdays).

Last edited by randyjoy; 02-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the expanded perspective, Randyjoy.