Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Track bike title needed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Track bike title needed...

So I was looking all over the forum and trying to decide what it falls under and could not decide. That being said I placed it here in hopes not to upset anyone too bad.

Question: Does a track bike need a title? I was under the impression it did. How this question came about is a kid is selling a track bike but doesnt have the title because he claims the guy he bought it off of moved and he hasn't been able to track him down etc. I think it's a crock-of-.... and is a hot bike. I'm not interested in the bike it just made me curious.

Any track junkies could shed more light it would be appreciated, thanks!

Sorry to the mods who have to take the time to move this thread or do other mod-ly things

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

CLARION, PA??? that's like 10 minutes from me!

as far as a track bike requiring a title...i think that would be up to the specific track you take it to. but, mainly i don't think it is gonna be something absolutely needed for a purely track only bike, as it won't see any road time except from on a trailer.

the frame will still have a VIN stamped on it unless it's been ground off. with that VIN you could do an inquiry through the DMV to see if it has been reported stolen.

if I am wrong on any of this info, feel free to correct it

Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM

my girl is a paralegal(take that for what its worth) but she has ppl come in all the time to get a "declareatory judgement" that when u have no title and u bought something and cant get one for one reason or another and as long as whatever not stolen a lawyer can file for so "declareatory judgement" and get u a title throught the courts-bad news is he charges about a $1000

Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Indy, if you need a title call the State Police. They will come to your house inspect it and fill out a form to give the Dmv. Bad news is they can consificate anything stolen. But if it is stolen and you are caught with it, you can be charged for receiving stolen property/ grand theft(anything over $3k). Choose wisely.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's track only, never ridden on the street, then no technically it doesn't. That's where many stolen bikes go: to the track since they don't need to be registered.

But it'll be extremely hard to prove ownership if you ever have to

Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM

I say cover your *** and buy a straight frame off ebay. Swap it out for a known legal frame. Harder for them to prove it was stolen if it is or questioning it. Definatly $hitcan the suspecting hardware in a dumpster far away. IMO

Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
CLARION, PA??? that's like 10 minutes from me!
So how "near brookeville" are you? I'm guessing around corsica.

Anywho... My question was if you needed a title to track a bike, NOT "How to I take a stolen track bike and make it legal yada yada yada..." I don't want a big thread about stolen goods being made legal or turning into a war-story thread. I did not post this question to talk about stolen bikes, I asked a question about track/race bikes so lets keep on topic that way the dreaded ban hammer or thread locker doesn't snoop around the corner. =)

Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by amRRussel

Question: Does a track bike need a title? I was under the impression it did. How this question came about is a kid is selling a track bike but doesnt have the title because he claims the guy he bought it off of moved and he hasn't been able to track him down etc. I think it's a crock-of-.... and is a hot bike. I'm not interested in the bike it just made me curious

You made the assumption, dumba$$$! We are willing to help you out. But if you get caught with one, not my ***. How big do you think the motorcycle world is if your bike is the one someone needs to start asking questions about their own missing bike??? Someone might be missing their bike and you show up with it.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
You made the assumption, dumba$$$! We are willing to help you out. But if you get caught with one, not my ***. How big do you think the motorcycle world is if your bike is the one someone needs to start asking questions about their own missing bike??? Someone might be missing their bike and you show up with it.

He said he wasn't interested in buying it just curious if you need a title for a track bike. DUMB A$$!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
He said he wasn't interested in buying it just curious if you need a title for a track bike. DUMB A$$!
Word...

Thanks for clearing that up jp, haha.

Quick Reply: Track bike title needed...