Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive

Very glad you are OK. As you came over the hill (I assume the front got light)and the handlebars went wild, was it a failure in/of the bike? Was it something a damper could have stopped? Was it a road/debris problem?

Good luck with the knee, my buddy just went in for pcl/acl problems and they were simple to fix, you'll be Ok with that once they go in. It is amazing, we don't think of 75MPH as that fast until you read something like this. Heal up and keep us posted.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 PM
VP

sucks woody... glad you could be here to write it down... too bad about the bike man I hope you had good coverage

Old 09-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you made it out alive, sorry bout ya bike. Anyone else have anymore questions why ya need to wear gear???

Old 09-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the support. Yes, I have insurance. Allstate. And I'm really surprised how open they are about what they're going to cover. The ER had to cut off my pants and boxers!! Insurance covers that. My shoes (which were torn off my feet) which have been torn are also covered. Helmet, covered. The swiss-chesse shirt, covered. They'll cover up to $200 in clothing plus the entire helmet. I think they cap the helmet at $500, but it's an HJC, so it's under their cap.

Yes, the whole tail section was sheared right off. The tow guys at the yard were saying how many wrecks they've been to and by looking at the bike they can usually tell the outcome of the rider. If the rider's not able to see it the next day, he probably didn't make it. The worst part about the road rash is that I have to sleep in a white cotton tshirt at night (to soak up the puss). When I wake up in the morning and have my gf peel off the shirt from my back, I literally get light-headed from the pain of the new skin sticking to the shirt and the old wounds sticking as well. Two mornings down, hopefully not manymore to go. This is the worst repetitive pain of all. My knees are really f-d up too. Can barely get around using crutches.

I can't stress how pissed I am at myself for making such a poordecision. One more minute of patients on my behalf could have made this whole situation never be. I always drive so defensively so I'm not hit or blindsiding somebody and the last accident I thought I'd EVER have would be one where I own it 100%. Please please please, EVERYBODY, be careful! As stated above, there have been a lot of wrecks lately. My buddy just got his '07 600RR back last week from going down and now this happens to me. Luck will not always be on our side.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM

glad you alive to report on it.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, sorry to hear that woody.
don't get down on yourself too much, there are a lot of things you could've probably done better but anything can happen at anytime even when we are at our safest.
friends i ride with don't wear jackets many times either no matter what i say .. that's awful that was the time you weren't wearing one though.
wish you well and a quick recovery.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, tell me...would you say that it hurt?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM

That's suck but it could have been a lot worse.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: WoodyRR

Continued...

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/60B9CB90555E403C8E4C116DF8AECAFE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/E1BACE1EC7304D85B0F8C3AA481DAB17.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/FE5302AA14E64ABE95D1AAE0D5118C43.jpg[/IMG]

There is not much that I can add that has not already been said just a reminder that all the gear all the time is the best policy. Really would like to ask one question, did the doctor give you SILVADENE 1% OR 2% cream. It really helps with the healing process and pain relief

Old 09-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dress for the crash, not the ride, cause no one ever intends to go down.........

Glad you are still with us, but there are two key things for everyone else to learn.....

1. Steering damper, steering damper, steering damper, steering damper.........

2. Let the cow hide take the rash, not you!

Quick Reply: Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive