Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Title of a Dead Man

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Title of a Dead Man

^ That's what I tried to do with the "previous owner"...the guy whose name the title is still in because the dead man didn't transfer the title. He's not up for that game, he doesn't want to deal with any of this, so I'm left begging the widow to finally transfer the title to her name so she can sell me the bike legally. That's more than a sour subject with her since it's for the bike that her husband died on. I hate to be "that guy" about it, but this is getting deeper than I ever imagined.

It could always be worse, so I'm just going to focus on my F3 in the meantime.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM

I don't understand why the guy doesn't want to deal with any of it. It's so freaking simple. At this point I would be calling someone at the motor vehicle department who isn't sitting at the window and explain what happened. You may need to go to court and get a judge to sign off on the transfer, but there should be a way they can tell you. good luck getting it taken care of.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Northern I don't quite understand why the previous owners being such a Dick and I do not mean the widow. The only thing that is necessary for him to do is apply for a replacement tile and then sign the title over to you. Have you offered some monetary gain, for his few minutes of trouble. There is also a secondary route at least in most states to pursue this matter. And I almost hate to say this because it always has a bad stigma about it. It's called a bonded title, and they are not cheap old model bikes run about $100 anything above about 2000 model will run you $300 to $500 and going to the added expense of getting a lawyer to fight this simple matter in court, would be more expensive than that.
However, there is one more option. You can get a limited power of attorney over the motor vehicle from the widow, which would relieve her of all responsibility and other words, it gives you the right to apply for the title on her behalf. And then sign it over to your self. I think you can do this. I know you can in North Carolina. I have seen this done with those who have not returned from the sandbox

Old 05-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Yeah, I worked with the previous owner once already to get a replacement title, I sent hima check to cover the fees and a little extra forhis time. He seemed okay with the situation and was easy to work with. When he went to the DMV, he brought the signed title with him and they put two and two together, and they wouldn't do the request because they saw the signs of a sale. So he returned my check and all the info that I mailed him. Now this time around, I can tell that he's irritated and flat out doesn't want to deal with any of it.

At worse case currentlly, I think that I can just give the widow whatever the costs add up to and she'll take care of her end. I'm not made of money, and they aren't either. Another reason why I'm reluctant to pay money from my pocket is because of the sale terms. I asked for a some funds to replace the tank on the F4i and my friend didn't want to put any money in the deal, so I'm taking that both ways now. I felt that I was out in the first place and am not about to just throw money at them to resolve this...all-thou that's what I see this coming to.

I'll look into that power of attorney some and see if that's a valid route in Wisconsin. I think that would work best for the widow so that she doesn't have to deal with any of this for her sake.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:23 PM
RCR

Scratch out his name and add yours. tell the DMV they were going to sell it to someone else and they flaked so you bought it.

I would think the original owner would want to get that bike out of his name.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All it would take would be a couple of traffic tickets in the original owner's name to help him adjust his attitude.......

Old 05-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i've boughten and sold many vehicles here in cali that i never registered mainly cause i would flip them before it was time for new reg. all you need is a bill of sale and a title transfer form from the dmv. put down that you bought it for anywhere btewnee 100-1000 because the fee will be about the same and then that is all you need.

even if the title is in the name of the original owner, and signed for as new buyer by the decedant you just need to fill out that form from dmv and along with a bill of sale you would be fine.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

the widow should fill this out http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...title/heir.htm
then it shows she sold it to you and it should be just as good as the decedant signing things to you

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Good find Havoc, I think that this is what HardCorp was dipping into. I'm going to run home at break and jot down the vin and then e-mail the DMV my info with those forms attached to see if that willcover what I need done.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Yeah, I worked with the previous owner once already to get a replacement title, I sent hima check to cover the fees and a little extra forhis time. He seemed okay with the situation and was easy to work with. When he went to the DMV, he brought the signed title with him and they put two and two together, and they wouldn't do the request because they saw the signs of a sale.
Well that's the problem. If you want to go get a replacement title, you don't take the old one in with you.

BTW, your state may also have signature expirations as well which could help you. Here, if more than a year had passed from when the title got notarized (has to be for a transfer) then the signature is invalid and you have to do it again.

Quick Reply: Title of a Dead Man