Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Title of a Dead Man

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title of a Dead Man

So last year I worked a deal by trading a 1999 R6 race bike gone street for a 2003 F4i that was cracked up from an accident. The F4i had some new/used parts on it to make it road worthy but still needed everything repaired cosmetically. Well, at the time I was happy to trade because the F4i rode fine and only needed cosmetic work, and I hated the R6 in the first place.

That’s peachy keen and all…well not really. The reason that the F4i was smashed up was because the owner took a corner too fast and crashed…killing himself in the process. This owner bought the bike that same year (2007) and never actually registered/titled the bike in his name (I didn’t know this at the trade last year). So the only reason that I was offered the trade was because my friend was close to the widow of the accident and she didn’t want to see the bike again. All that I cared about was getting a title in the deal, never looked to see that it was clean of signatures. I think I remember mentioning the old purchase signature but didn’t make a big deal about it. This year comes around and I want to register and insure my F4i that I have been working on...and I finally realize that I can’t transfer the title that’s signed by the guy who crashed, and on the title is from the owner that it was bought from in 2007…[sm=headbang.gif]

Well, that’s great! I tried to work with the old owner and get a replacement title from him so that I could just cut out the deceased owner, and technically purchase it from the previous owner. Well that didn’t work, the DMV told him that the widow needs to pay the taxes on the purchase price and title it in her name so that she can then sell it to me…ugh! Something about title jumping LOL, anyway so I went back to the widow and let her know, she thought that the bike was titled and registered in her old husbands name, nope![sm=headbang.gif]

So now, here I am stuck in the middle of one simple semi-expensive mess. The friend that got me the bike from the widow had sold my R6 shortly after getting it and told me to try to get a “lost title” from the old owner (which I already tried). Today, I called the old owner anyway to pass the idea by him again and he’s defiantly not in on the idea at all. I let my friend know this and now he’s pissed at me because he’s under the impression that I’m pissed and that I should have done all this last year. Okay, yeah I’ll admit that I should have taken care of the title last year, but we’d still be in the same situation because of the dead owner never transferring the title and such. Also in our last contact, my friend said that he’d pay for the titling fee on his end…when he gets paid.

I don’t know, this has all just been adding up to a bid mess that I can’t clean up on my own. If I could pay some fee to have this title situation cleared up by myself, I would! But I’m stuck relying on a pissed off seller and a widow that is morning the 1 year anniversary of her husbands’ death on the 14th of May.

I’m just sick of getting the short end of the stick and wanted to rant a little on the subject and see what you guys think.[sm=rant.gif]

Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Title of a Dead Man

I'm lost in reading your post.

The original owner is now dead? Who's name is the title in? if the dead guy has his name on the title, ownership passes to the widow on death and she could easily get a replacement/reprint and then just say she sold it to you. You pay taxes on the purchase price, which you would have done anyway.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM

its an absolute nightmare man. I have come accross sooooo many killer deals on bikes and have passed them up one after another because of title issues such as the owner selling it signed the back and they never titled it blah blah blah. they want you to track down the original owner who you have no idea who it is in the first place. Its just a long mess. im sure it will get solved though. just take is easy and it will come together.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown
The original owner is now dead? Who's name is the title in? if the dead guy has his name on the title, ownership passes to the widow on death and she could easily get a replacement/reprint and then just say she sold it to you. You pay taxes on the purchase price, which you would have done anyway.
The guy who died never put the title in his name, it's still in the previous owners name, and the only title is signed by the dead man. He never transfered the title or paid the tax on the purchase price.

I don't plan to pay any taxes because it was an even trade, so there's no income to tax...

Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe a PM to ffingers ?
He'd be more help than I would on this one your local law on titles is very different from ours.
Perhaps as a first step, get a sworn affidavit from the widow, stating what happened (at the appropriate time) and then approach the DMV and ask for their assistance ? Where is your old bike ? Property of the widow now ? Maybe she needs to get the bike registered in her name, and then transfer it to you - The taxes worry me though - if he didn't pay them , maybe you (or she) will be liable, but really not sure......
Best I can do, sorry.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM

i would go through a currency exchange when you do do it though, more things tend to sllliiiidde when you go through them.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Man.. i sold my first bike i owned under the same situation. I sold it without ever registering it. What i had to do was give the buyer a discount on purchase price for the amount it would have costed for me to register the bike in my name/pay taxes.

Sounds like you are hosed.. and should just ask the woman to sign the title for you.. and you will more than likely have to pay all the backed up BS.. sorry.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that font is tiny lol. Sux d00d, but it should all be able to be worked out. I know none of us like hearing it, but patience is a virtue.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to see that...at least it would be outta the way then, getting them up to doing stuff seems to be like pulling teeth. I'm going to give my friend a week to see if he even puts an effort to do anything. "fingers crossed"

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Well, how does WI work if you lose your title and have to have another one issued?

Here in OH I go to the DMV and tell them I lost my title and hand them my license. they look up the registrations and print out another copy and it gets stamped as a replacement title. I can then take that title and sign it for a sale.

If your state is anything like mine, just have the original ower (pay them) to get a replacement copy and sell you the bike for $500 and mark it as poor condition. you will pay tax on $500 or so, but at least it would be legal.

Quick Reply: Title of a Dead Man