Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tire seperating? (UPDATE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire seperating? (UPDATE)

I just put a set of PP's on this last Friday. I have less than 500 miles on them. It looks like someone has taken a razor blade all the way around the tire. Then there are multiple other splits in the tire.

Do I have a defective tire? I thought I would ask before I take them backand demand a new one.

Sorry for the bad pics, its the only camera I have at the moment.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tire seperating?

my last set had a few marks in it like that but i dont think they were quite as visible as yours or as "deep".

Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM

I think my continentals have that i dont think its a problem i think there just so soft it just happens. Ill go down now and see if mine are that bad

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM

If it hasn't compromised the integrity of the tire, I don't think there's a problem. Don't know what would cause it, but I think it's only a problem if it's leaking air.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:00 PM

I can't imagine how that would happen while riding...you'd have to run over a six foot long razor, but then it would be on the front tire too. Honestly, I've never seen that on any tire, ever. I say get a new one, pronto.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 PM
RCR

I would be afraid of tire seperation at speed. I would go back and inquire about this and have a rep from the tire company say its ok in writing. Can never be to safe when it comes to your tread.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: RCR

I would be afraid of tire seperation at speed. I would go back and inquire about this and have a rep from the tire company say its ok in writing. Can never be to safe when it comes to your tread.
+1... It doesn't hurt to go back to the dealer and ask.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 AM

I actually heard that there was a recall on some of the Pilot powers because of seperation between their 2 different rubber compounds (center for longevity and corner for stickiness). I would have that double checked for sure!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go

I actually heard that there was a recall on some of the Pilot powers because of seperation between their 2 different rubber compounds (center for longevity and corner for stickiness). I would have that double checked for sure!
I seem to remember hearing the same thing.

Did they look different the day you got them then they did when I saw them Sunday? They dont look right to me.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Have you locked up the back tire at all recently? Locking up the tire would do that. Coming to a stop or something, if you locked it up, it could potentially put a small slice in it such as that, just from the wear from the road.

Quick Reply: Tire seperating? (UPDATE)