Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tinted Visor VS. Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawshank24

speedview ftw
I have one of those, but I have a mirrored visor on it too lol. I prefer a tinted visor over sunglasses. For one I cant fit a pair of glasses on with my helmet on on w/o breaking them lol. If I know I will be riding after dark I put the clear visor on n make use of the flip down tinted visor. I normally only ride with my visor up in stop n go down town traffic. Another nice thing about the EXO-1000 is it has a switch on the visor which allows you to lock the visor closed or locked it open just a hair to let a lil more air flow in.

And I dont ride to be see, I ride because I love to ride, so I give 2 shyts who sees or dont see me.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Glasses. Dark screens don't come off while riding when it gets dark.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the best set up. I use it :P

I HAVE to wear sunglasses outside, just have too sensitive of eyes. So I wear glasses, with a clear visor. (If you're complaining about heat in the helmet, that's lame. I've never had my head get hot.) But I also have a slide down tinted visor on the inside, which I only use if it's incredibly sunny, or the sun is setting into my eyes.

The only thing I worry about when my visor is open is getting a chip on my sunglasses (I rock Oakleys). A bug to the face is just a little surprise, but rarely happens. As far as crashing with the helmet open, your glasses would come off of your face before something would smash into them. Helmets are tested to crash with the visor open, it'll come off before anything.

With the visor open, I think the air creates a "pocket" in front of your face, hence why the wind doesn't feel as bad with a helmet on, also, this pocket redirects bugs, and small rocks.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(If you're complaining about heat in the helmet, that's lame. I've never had my head get hot.)
I'm not sure why anyone would be lame for getting a hot head. Even here in Michigan, I've had my head get hot from a helmet.

I have a HJC IS-16 that has the flip down tinted visor inside. I wear that one if I know I will be out after dark. If Im going just for the day and will be back before dark, I wear my Arai with a tinted visor.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:14 AM

I carry my clear visor with me. I change it if it I'm not home before dark o'clock. I also have a Shark Evoline, but my nose gets sunburnt. I can't get sunnies on with either helmet.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 AM

i got a pinlock visor it has little clips on the inside for puttin the special pinlock visor covers on the actual helmet visor they just pop in and out and are made of a softer antifogging plasitic and let me say its great i tried to get it to fog on a cold morning by breathin hard with my helmet on and it didnt fog comes in a variety of colors for whatever riding occasion, and can just thro em under the seat if you want to change from the dark smoke on to the yellow or clear one for night riding good stuff i love it, i usually have a bag or somethin under my seat if im carryin ones under there so they dont get to scuffed up they're pretty bendable and hard to break cause of the soft plastic flexibility, tho usually have to pop the helmet visor off the put the pinlock in cause you have to flex the visor a little but that takes all of 5 seconds. got it with my hjc fs-15 carbon helmet

http://www.pinlockusa.net/

if you havent heard of em check em out.

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 08-28-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not lame, but I mean using that as an excuse to wearing a tinted visor is. You sit on a 200+ degree engine, and ride in warm, normally what is considered hot weather, yet, the temperature of your helmet is a factor? Just seems kinda irrelevant.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tinted visor blocks a whole lot of sunlight from entering a helmet. When I'm riding with my dark smoke shield my head feels noticeably cooler on a warm/hot day.

Anything that makes the ride more enjoyable while still offering protection is okay in my book.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 AM

earlier this summer in june i crashed and slammed my head. i had a shoei rf1000 and i wear prescription oakley sunglasses. the shoei helmets have a slight gap in between the padding right in the area of your temples of your head. makes it great for sunglasses or eyeglasses.

i had my clear visor up just a little past my eyes but not all the way up. with the oakley glasses on and a jackass in a saturn cutting me off i lowslide and slammed my head somewhere around 20-25mph. i actually broke the visor where it connects to the helmet and cracked the plastic adjustable piece that the visor snaps into. after a short barrel roll my sunglasses stayed exactly where they were on my head and had no damage done to them.

i think it also depends on how well the helmet fits your head and how much it'll move around but as far as worrying about glasses going into your eyes, i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Tinted visor no question about it. Mines actually mirrored but light enough I can use it at night. Getting this type of helmet next tho I think I saw it for 220 on motosuperstore not bad...

Originally Posted by shawshank24

speedview ftw