Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tinted Visor VS. Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Tinted Visor VS. Sunglasses

so whats everyones opinion on tinted/mirrored visors vs. sunglasses with a helmet on? i ride with a pair of sunglasses on with my helmet and leave my clear visor open. was thinking on the way home today from work...how safe would it be if i was to get wiped out on the freeway at 75 mph with a pair of sunglasses on? risk to puncture from them? cuts? got me to thinking...

Old 07-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a similar thread on here about dark smoke versus light smoke shields. As I mentioned on that one when I switched out my clear shield for a dark smoke my helmet was noticeably cooler, which makes things a little more bearable on some of our 105F degree heat index days.

A clear shield with sunglasses is more versatile if you will be riding at night but it doesn't keep you cool like a dark shield will.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a smoke visor and a clear visor. Strangely I wear my sunglasses with both. The smoke visor cuts down heat from sunglare. And obviously it protects against flying things (bugs / rocks). But its not really dark. Small difference between it and my clear visor. I have the clear for night riding, mostly in case I happen upon a poorly (or not) lit street.

As for riding with the shield open, I had to replace the shield on my old helmet. It took a stone while on the freeway, enough to chip it pretty badly. If the shield was up, I'd been cut (at least). The sunglasses will provide some protection for the eyes from impact. But how much, I can't say. Depends on the glasses (aka $150 Ray Bans > $1.50 7-11 "Free with a Slurpee!").

Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM

i run my clear visor cause i ride at night time sometimes and i perfer to have that visor clear cause with it open and a pair of clear glasses on, there is a heck a bunch of bugs coming into my helmet lol...hmmm good point Kuro...mine are a pair of ANSI aproved safety glasses...so the shatter limit on them is a tab bit higher than some slurpee glasses lol

Old 07-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear glasses anyway, so my Sunnies are prescription.
My Nolan had a great feature, which is a second quarter tinted visor.
In theory hitting the deck while wearing glasses could be a problem if you go head 1st onto the road or through a windscreen, that being the case I think the issues with glasses will be the least of you're worries.

Name:  n1022.jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  13.7 KB

Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya but in reality hitting the deck / windshield with an open face shield will be a problem

Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 PM

I have a dark tint on my icon helmet now, had a chrome one on my last vega helmet. Yeah you lose just a little bit of visibility at night, but when the sun is all in ur **** screw the clear shield. Glasses can be a little uncomfortable for me so I dont bother. I just pay a little more attention at night, but im so used to riding with a tinted one that my eyes have adjusted from the first time i rode with it as weird as that sounds.....

Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I made that last shield post.. I wear glasses... they have those 'transition lenses' thing that makes them darken in sunlight, but they don't do much while riding... so sunglasses are not really an option. I think I am going to order a light smoke and see how I like it.. I have never ridden with anything other than a clear visor though...

Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM

that IS a cool feature on that nolan..i wonder if half tint visors are available for kbc helmets. one of my concerns though about having a black/mirror/smoked visor is a police officer deciding that it aint safe seeing me ride around at night with a dark one....lol go figure theyll think of anything...so i beat em to the punch lol. but yall say a smoked one dont hinder visibility to terribly bad at night so i think i may get one...cause TRUE that sun through a clear visor in the day DOES suck...and it really does reduce heat in the helmet?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:38 AM

speedview ftw

Quick Reply: Tinted Visor VS. Sunglasses