Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to buy?

For those of you who have no idea who I am (pretty much everyone), I'll give a bit of background: I laid my F2 down a little more than a year ago (https://cbrforum.com/m_373555/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm). I parted it out, but still haven't found another bike (mostly because the wife deserved a graduation present (Hawaii vacation). I'm finally in the financial position to do so, but haven't seen exactly what I want at the right price. I don't want to buy just anything. I want an '01-'03 F4i, a 929, or a 954. My budget is 4,000. The 954 is probably a bit of o stretch, I know. F4i is much more likely. I really can't go over that amount. The prices are getting better on craigslist, and I've seen some decent deals, but I feel like January is probably the best time to buy? Thoughts? Is patience important right now, considering the state of the economy and the time of year, or is it better to jump on something when it "feels" right? I wish I was better at making decisions like this, but it's one of those things where I feel that the more I learn about buying vehicles, the less I know. I always do my research, and am pretty good at haggling, but deals seem to constantly fall through for me. Advice?

I'm asking b/c The only advice I've gotten was from a friend recommended buying a gsxr, and I laughed in his face. CBR all the way.

[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned
Default RE: Time to buy?

You only get one shot at it, so make sure it's the bike you love man...Anytime within the next 3 months will be the best time to buy. If you wait til spring, everybody who was thinking about getting one is going to start looking, so prices can be higher.

I think now is a good time to buy. More bikes are coming onto the market as people decide to sell them off instead of storing them for the winter. In January you're getting less available, I would think because people are either waiting for spring to sell when the demand heats up or it hasn't sold since the fall.

This is based on the premise that youre in an area that has winter.

As far as haggling - decide what is a reasonable price range for you, depending on the state of the bike. I'd rather pay more from someone I got a good feeling about, then think I got a better bargain only to find out later that I was scammed and that the bike has issues.

Also, consider how much work you want to put into the thing once youve got it.

Hope that helps.

Well the F4i is an upgrade from the F2 but it's not like light speed diffrent so don't get one expecting it to be a turbo compaired to your old 600. Now don't get me wrong, I love...LOVE my F4i!

As for the 929/954, I don't see myself getting in the liter class any time soon because I'm still learning limits with the 600 so that's all your call.

P.S. I think the 929 looks better than 954 IMO...sorry TK[&o]

Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Registered Users

GREEK!!!! welcome back buddy!!! hope everything is well with you....you have missed a LOT of drama...but that's news for another day...

as for waiting, i would say go with what feels right....you might be able to snag a deal if you wait, but you might not....seeing as it isn't for sure that you'll get a greater deal later on, i would say jump on what strikes you....

and welcome to (most likely) the F4i club...great bikes...eveyone else can keep their fancy shmancy RRs...(although i do secretly wish i had one of those too )

anyways, welcome back!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: madgreek

For those of you who have no idea who I am (pretty much everyone), I'll give a bit of background: I laid my F2 down a little more than a year ago (https://cbrforum.com/m_373555/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm). I parted it out, but still haven't found another bike (mostly because the wife deserved a graduation present (Hawaii vacation). I'm finally in the financial position to do so, but haven't seen exactly what I want at the right price. I don't want to buy just anything. I want an '01-'03 F4i, a 929, or a 954. My budget is 4,000. The 954 is probably a bit of o stretch, I know. F4i is much more likely. I really can't go over that amount. The prices are getting better on craigslist, and I've seen some decent deals, but I feel like January is probably the best time to buy? Thoughts? Is patience important right now, considering the state of the economy and the time of year, or is it better to jump on something when it "feels" right? I wish I was better at making decisions like this, but it's one of those things where I feel that the more I learn about buying vehicles, the less I know. I always do my research, and am pretty good at haggling, but deals seem to constantly fall through for me. Advice?

I'm asking b/c The only advice I've gotten was from a friend recommended buying a gsxr, and I laughed in his face. CBR all the way.

[sm=feedback.gif]

Price isnt always a factor... I would say a mix of what felt right & the right time to buy my opinion.. You could try to get a great deal and next thing you know it needs a complete rebuild, you wont be saving any more after that is done.

I was say dont rush, bike/car fever is a bitch to fight, but usually rushing into something is when you get bit in the *** the hardest (I know from personal experience)

Look for the obvious things... usually an adult owned bike is better then some teenagers trasher machine. (duh)
Do your research on the model/year you are looking into.
Listen for knocks and pings. Leaks. Newly painted fairings etc.. Get a feel for the owner? Has it been well maintained? Is the oil clean? Does it need brakes/tires.

When I go buy something I dont buy it STRICTLY on price.. I buy it because something clicked.. because something felt right about it.

and i'd say go for a 1000RR :P ok ok nothing wrong with an F4i.

just my two cents... but wtf do I know?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM

Winter is def the best time to buy...hope you got a truck?!?

Last winter I got my minty 2004 600RR with 8k on it for like $4,000 out of NYC Craigslist...and it had about $2 g's in aftermarket parts on it as well... the deals are out there, I'd wait until December/January though...due to the economic crunch and winter, this year bikes should be real cheap.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 PM

I bought mine on price mainly. Come to find out I short of over paid but I do not mind because I love my F2. Just find something that fits you and run with it.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:18 PM

Damn, 5 responses in 10 minutes? Right after lunch (eastern time) used to be dead on the forum. Thanks guys. I need all the help I can get. Hope you don't mind if I check in with you about possible buys. We always seem to dole out reasonable advice here, and that's one of the things I like most about CBR Forum.

BTW, ffingers, I can't fu*kin wait until I can start posting on the F4i board. Drama? Update me. The only thing I saw was a site crash a few months ago. What's the word on that? We upgrading the site soon?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered Users

speaking of aftermarket jfunk....you just stop working on the bike...and it had $2k worth of aftermarket????...for shame...you have been passing off someone else's work that was already done as your work...booooooo....booooooo....

Quick Reply: Time to buy?