Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thinking of benching Ororo... temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of benching Ororo... temporarily

Recently, she had a little heat issues (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...-maybe-128105/). But that's not all. She just "doesn't feel right". Both brakes feel softer, she's idling rougher (prolly the battery as it's run dead a couple times through non-use) and other little nagging things.

Thinking might be a good idea to take her offline till I can spend a couple days going over her top to bottom.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive noticed that in higher temps my brakes feel a bit softer but not much. Im sure it has to do with the brake fluid being warmer. <---(just a guess) Its getting to about 100 here daily.
Ive also noticed that when my bike is really hot in traffic that in 1-3rd gear when i let off the throttle my RPMs will not drop like they do when its cooler out. Not sure what the issue is but its minimal and once i get air flowing through it itll stop.

Good call though on taking her offline to get her fixed. Overheating can be a real pain in the butt.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really. . .? I wouldn't think the outside temp would have much of an impact on the brake fluid (well... yeah under extreme racing conditions but normal daily use?). I mean, good clean Dot4 boils at 446+ dry/311+ wet so the difference between 80 degree air and 100 degree air should be negligible.

Chris

Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 PM

233 isn't overheating, imo. It's "complaining about being ridden at < 15 mph in 90+ degree weather for 30 blocks". The spilling coolant is a minor nagging too. My bike has never done it before, it has coolant in the reserve and when I rode home after dinner she kept her normal temps (185ish on the freeway and 220ish max at normal street speeds w/ stop lights).

It's just too many nagging feelings all at the same time. So I think its best to pull her offline till I can eliminate the nagging feelings

Originally Posted by segraves1
really. . .? I wouldn't think the outside temp would have much of an impact on the brake fluid (well... yeah under extreme racing conditions but normal daily use?). I mean, good clean Dot4 boils at 446+ dry/311+ wet so the difference between 80 degree air and 100 degree air should be negligible.

Chris
I flushed + bled the brakes last year about 13-14 months ago. Didn't feel a need at the beginning of the season this year. But there was definitely a difference between brake pulls yesterday and the last time I rode it. I could see a mechanical failure in one brake system. But not both seeing as how they're completely independant. But both brakes levers had full travel with less force than before. If I wanted to pull the front brake completely in prior, I had to put some real effort into it. Yesterday, not so much.

A suspicion though now that I think about it (and given what you said about brake fluid) is it could be the lines themselves. The brake fluid may have a high boiling point that wouldn't react to ambient temp. But the lines themselves could expand on hotter days, causing a softer response.

Last edited by Kuroshio; 07-11-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I flushed + bled the brakes last year about 13-14 months ago. Didn't feel a need at the beginning of the season this year. But there was definitely a difference between brake pulls yesterday and the last time I rode it. I could see a mechanical failure in one brake system. But not both seeing as how they're completely independant. But both brakes levers had full travel with less force than before. If I wanted to pull the front brake completely in prior, I had to put some real effort into it. Yesterday, not so much.

A suspicion though now that I think about it (and given what you said about brake fluid) is it could be the lines themselves. The brake fluid may have a high boiling point that wouldn't react to ambient temp. But the lines themselves could expand on hotter days, causing a softer response.
I'd bleed the brakes again. It's relatively cheap, easy, and certainly can't hurt. Motorcycles don't have a lot of fluid so any water goes a long way.

In regards to the lines, same point as the fluid point, I don't see how the ambient temp could make that much of a difference in the rigidness of the rubber lines (they melt at even higher temps). Could, can't totally rule it out, but I would be shocked (though wouldn't be the first time I didn't see something coming).

Question though, how OLD are the lines? Could they, unto themselves, be getting old and worn down? Perhaps they are old and starting to stretch more (every time they see pressure, they stretch a little easier than the last time)? Also seen rubber lines degrade internally and start to sluff off bits into the system which can clog/choke the flow.

Chris

Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by segraves1
I'd bleed the brakes again. It's relatively cheap, easy, and certainly can't hurt. Motorcycles don't have a lot of fluid so any water goes a long way.

In regards to the lines, same point as the fluid point, I don't see how the ambient temp could make that much of a difference in the rigidness of the rubber lines (they melt at even higher temps). Could, can't totally rule it out, but I would be shocked (though wouldn't be the first time I didn't see something coming).

Question though, how OLD are the lines? Could they, unto themselves, be getting old and worn down? Perhaps they are old and starting to stretch more (every time they see pressure, they stretch a little easier than the last time)? Also seen rubber lines degrade internally and start to sluff off bits into the system which can clog/choke the flow.

Chris
Everything on Ororo is stock from the dealer... even the tires (they're going as soon as possible). So the lines are 5 years old.

But I'd think the lines would be a gradual difference. Not something I'd notice between 2 rides a week apart (had to drive for a week due to errand running after work). I do know my bike well enough to notice slight differences in functioning, which I usually note and then ignore. But the difference was enough to go "WTF?", check the bleeder valves and fluid levels.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Hmmm... I guess try the brake fluid and see how that helps?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 AM

After a search i have found the best answer for just normal use.

DOT 3 AND DOT 4 brake fluids are ether based and are hygroscopic in nature - i.e. they absorb water vapor. As the braking system in not quite airtight, a significant amount of water can be absorbed from the atmosphere in the course of a year. A 3% water content in brake fluid drops the boiling point as much as 170 degrees F. Brake fluid should be completely replaced annually.

Also

When the fluid boils in the calipers air bubbles are formed. Since air is compressible, the brake pedal becomes soft and "mushy" and pedal travel increases.

So if its been 13-14 months since your fluid change(its been 18 since mine) it may be water in the lines. Also if the BP drops that much and your braking plus not getting enough speed to cool the rotor your caliper fluid could be getting hotter and hotter which in my mind set would cause your brakes not to grab as hard.

Looks like ill be doing a flush on my day off since here in Louisiana humidity is a killer.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Interesting read all the way around.

I hate working on break related anything but sounds like after this summer maybe I should give it a flush.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i

I hate working on break related anything but sounds like after this summer maybe I should give it a flush.
I hear ya. Ive recently become a pro at brake fixing due to my wife not knowing what the word "Coasting" Means. She likes to ride the gas till she has to smash the brake. She went through a set of brake pads in 8 months.

Atleast she told me it was acting funny this time. Last time she waited till the Pad backing was rubbing against the rotor. Ahhh women.

Quick Reply: Thinking of benching Ororo... temporarily