Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Taunting, Peer pressure and venting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taunting, Peer pressure and venting

I am not sure if I post this here or riding section, but I am sort of mad at people right now.

Some people here knew me from beginning when my bf back then didn't help me learning to ride, and I had hard time doing it and being one inch away from legal midget height doesn't help. My bike is lowered front and back to accomodate my shortness. I fell down practicing how many times because nobody told me about things that I know now. I rode on my own pace pushing myself little each time at my own pace.

When I ride with the club, they always help me parking my bike because one of the girls is also short like me and she always had problem and dropped the bike coming to stop.

There are also "friends" that I ride with who doesn't belong to club. And they always like to go to this spot going up and down this little mountain on two lane street. The turns there are very tight and there are few hairpin turns that also have humps on inside the turn. Grass are overgrown and you can't see oncoming cars and there are debris on the street and it can be wet often. Because of the tightness of the turn and the humps, I don't feel comfortable for me and my bike and I will not go up there. There are other places that I can still get better at. Going up there will not be a fun thing to do for me.

Last Sunday, I decided to go ride with them but I asked them if they can go up the mountain after we go ride some place else. But they went there first, so I broke off. and now they are giving me peer pressure to go up there next time. I thought peer pressure was no no thing in riding motorcycle. If they want to portrait me as a chicken, they can do that. As I said, I am pushing myself on my own pace and I ride to have fun, not to get scared and stressed out.

Sorry I had to vent..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let anyone pressure you into doing some ride you don't feel comfortable with. If they continue then maybe it's time to evaluate the people you had been riding with and find a new group.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Ride your own ride, always. Its good to learn by following and observing more experienced riders, but not if it means riding too far above your comfort zone.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM

you will hardly catch me riding in large groups or clubs because literally nine outta ten bikers cant ride a lick. while acting like they are all hard and ****. ive seen this for a fact myself over the years. its not fun or a good learning experiance riding with people like that. i learned at my own pace away from that type crowd.

ive been on bikes for twenty years, i like to drag race occasionally and i tour the southeast every few months...by myself. in the twenty years ive had three times where my riding buddy rode with me touring, thats it. if they ride with me thats cool, if not no biggie, i meet a ton of other bikers on the roads i travel on the way to my destinations most of the time anyway. (bike resorts around the smokeys)!!

while near home i enjoy riding around town with three to five people most of the time or by myself. how, when or with who i ride is for MY own enjoyment, not others. im leaving in the morning to go on a two day tour of the smokey mountains to meet a friend who lives at deals gap TN...eight hour ride by myself, thats just a warm up, then around the other side of the mountain a few more hours to gatlinburg (lol, just had to rub it in for those who crave road trips and cant go). now, i had two people said they were going but bailed out. im not even thinking of them though becuase when i ride its about me. im still on the same natural high whether im solo or with a friend. my point is, i like long enjoyable rides where i can learn new riding skills. best advise i can give is take long rides solo or with a few people who will help you learn. do it to learn new riding skills, to get to know your bike well, and to have fun all at the same time.

Last edited by cBrentb; 04-19-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM
August 2011 ROTM

That's what I have been doing. Lots of people until they ride my bike don't realize how hard it is to do small tight turn on my bike. And until they get on tall bikes, they don't understand how it is not be able to touch the ground with flat feet. I just like club ride because I feel safe because they will block traffic and make sure everybody make it safe. I do club ride on Sunday and I ride with whomever on Sat. What I learnt a lot from was riding on the back of my friend with 1000rr. He is like you and he likes to ride on his own. probably 3 or 4 is the biggest group that he will ride with.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Riding is supposed to fun and enjoyable for you. When people start pushing you to do things you aren't ready for or want to do it kills the fun. Never let people push you beyond your limits or make you feel like you should be putting yourself in danger. Only you know what you can or can't do at your level. If they keep putting pressure on you to ride then I wouldn't ride with them at all. I ride solo all the time and love the freeing feeling. I prefer that over peer pressure any day. At least it sounds like you at least have another group to ride with that respects your limits.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just do your thing yum. if i was going some place that someone else specifically did NOT want to go, i certainly wouldn't flame them for not going....

... then again, i probably wouldn't try going there if i were riding with them either

im kind of a lone wolf with regards to riding. i love to find other guys in traffic and ride with them - but i steer clear of the group rides with all of the "weekend warriors"

Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 - Do your own thing - don't expect too much from others - you'll be setting
yourself up for disappointment - expect nothing - subsequently eventually
you might just be be enthralled !

Life is Good - give it a chance.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Yep. Thanks Good thing, I am stubborn to my own mind hahaha

Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Ride your own ride, and don't ride above where you are comfortable. Maybe time to decide if you want to ride with them anymore. You are the one who will be hurt or worse if you give in to the pressure and go above your comfortable skill level and something happens to you. You alone know your limits, and if they don't respect it, leave them. They shouldn't be the type of people to ride with.

Quick Reply: Taunting, Peer pressure and venting