Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

SuperSport bikes: Comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperSport bikes: Comfortable?

Sup, I've been curious about this so I figured I would start a pointless discussion for a dumb question. :P

I ride a 600F3, and recently I've been considering moving up to a supersport litre bike, probably a k5/k6 gixxer thou or an 08 1000rr.

As wierd as it sounds, lately to me my 600F3 really doesn't seem all that comfortable. Namely, I feel like the bike is too small for me, I kinda feel all cramped up, like a horse trying to ride a rabbit. But also, the seat kinda annoys me, it seems like it's too plush and too big, so I can't decide where to sit ha.

I've sat on my friends 954 and on many litre bikes in my local bike shop, and they feel so much more right. But of course, just sitting on them tells me almost nothing, and I've never ridden a supersport or a litre bike before...

So, what do you guys think about your RR's? Are they nice to ride? I'm not talking about butt pain, I'm talking more about total ergo's. How do you find the riding position on the street? Are you often cramped up or are they a joy to ride?

Also, if you had an hour commute to work (one way) would you do it on an RR or would it be out of the question?

Discuss.

(And I realize that full race bikes are not designed for comfort, I'm just bored and curious so this isn't really a serious discussion. Hence, off topic.)

Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to swear by "super sport" bikes as you called them for the street. I rode my RC51 religiously as a commuter and even took some long distance trips on it. Then through a bunch of random events I found myself with an RC51 track bike and a S1000RR street bike. Then I took the S1000RR to the track out of curiosity (actually, I had ordered the wrong part for the RC51 and it was down and out and I had already registered for the track). After that track day I decided to street fighter the RC51 with some dirt bike bars to make it more like a standard and keep the S1kRR as a track bike.

I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER have a super sport bike as a "street" bike again. Maybe I'm just getting old, but something just makes more sense about a more upright seating position on the street. It's easier to keep your head on a swivel, the wind resistance makes 80 mph actually feel like 80 mph and it's much easier to put on the miles because I don't necessarily have to keep myself at "extra-legal" speeds to keep my wrists and/or core from hurting.

No, it's not out of the question to use a super sport as an all around bike, I did it for a few years and loved it. However, if you're finding your F3 to be uncomfortable, you're headed in the wrong direction with a gsxr 1000 or 954.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM

Well, I know the adage that a full race bike is going to be less comfortable than a sport, sport-touring or pretty much anything else, but I think the problem with the F3 is it is mostly too small a bike for my frame.

Although admittedly a gsxR might be just as bad, I hear their ergo's are geared more towards shorter guys.

I dunno though, to me it seems like the saddles and body position of a full race-type bike works for me better than the half-bent over/sorta-upright position I'm in on the f3.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Hayabusa?

Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Of the big four liter bikes, the GSXR is the most comfortable for me. I'm 5'11" and 220 lbs. I find that the clip ons on the GSXR come up the highest and I like the tank shape. The 'busa is another good suggestion, it offers a bit of everything with a manageable power band.

If you're gonna sell your F3, let me know. I'm in NJ and might be interested.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by Frost
I ride a 600F3, and recently I've been considering moving up to a supersport litre bike, probably a k5/k6 gixxer thou or an 08 1000rr.
Comfort is relative. A bike that feels comfortable to one person might not feel that way to another.

I have an 08 1000RR and it feels comfortable to me. I've done 1,100+ mile rides on it in a day. The main thing that bothered me on that trip was my right wrist but I've since added a Throttlemeister to deal with that. Also, I now have a tank bag so I can rest on the tank as I ride.

As far as the body position, I ride road bicycles with drop bars a lot and I'm used to the lean forward position. My CBR isn't as extreme of an angle as my bicycles.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I've daily ridden my f4i since 2007. Will I take all day trips on it? Not usually. I've ridden the pacific coast highway, and I've done vegas on it [never again]. Couple hundred miles out to my favorite canyon and back is do-able once in a while too. Does it feel small to my 5' 11", 175lbs? Not at all. Niether does my 08 600RR trackbike. I still don't enjoy just cruising on them. Comfort is relative.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought my 954 was comfy until I put dirties on it when I fightered it out. I'll never go back to clip-ons again except for a dedicated sport bike for track duty or special occasions.

I think all of the bikes - comparing any sportbikes - is missing the point. For me, it's all about clip-ons. Sure, some supersports fit me better than others, but it's comparing a little bit of back pain to a lot after a considerable amount of miles. With the fighter - I have no pain, ever. I can ride that thing forever.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Member & ROTM AUG 2013

Any specific years? Look into a older 900rr. 94-98.
I'm 5' 10" and 135lbs. The seat on my 95 900rr is nice. 1 seat and wide. Not like the 600's long 2 seated.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Perfect site for you:

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Quick Reply: SuperSport bikes: Comfortable?