Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stupid Modern Devices

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Modern Devices

I have a problem with electronics: They are out to make me insane, and I'm wondering if it is just me. From tunes not downloading or uploading, slow computer (with DSL), dvd player malfunctioning for no apparent reason, my digital music recorder fighting me, printer having a mind of its own (spits out blank sheets every once and again with no one around it), cell phoneonly ringing when I have a message...son of a bitch! Give me a rotary phone, a pencil, a notepad, and a stamp! Does anyone else fight with all their modern, "time saving"devices?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Default RE: Stupid Modern Devices

ummmm. No.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Mac (meaning no problems........ever). My printer is an HP, so it works. DSL sucks (switched to Cable....MUCH better). DVD players die after about 1 year. Bought an HDDVD drive for the Xbox 360, problem solved. My 30GB iPod never let me down, then upgraded to the 60GB, then 80GB.......same story, never a problem with any of them. And cell phones are the devil, so it's normal for them never to work right.

There, that just about sums it up, lol. Good luck with your stuff. I've been blessed (because I'm a Mac guy.)

Old 01-21-2007, 01:38 AM

Ok I'll start, Saturday morning, coffee time, turned on my computer, blue screen of death, blah blah, booted up after that, ran a diognostic, ran virus software, did a bit of browsing, shut her down, booted up that night. got a log on screen? clicked on my name started to load, then "Logging off, saving your ....blah", some crap with the administrator log on, could not get in, even in "safe" mode, same deal with "last known good config...."
Put in the XP disc, booted up from that, ran the Repair console, asked me for my past word?? don't have one? Bad luck says Mr Gates. Finally got in by reinstalling it.
OK, Sunday morning, wife gone shopping, time to watch a doco I recorded the night before on a female nudist, and her 1st days in camp (with nude horse riding, tennis etc) (Canadian), followed by a movie called Miss Swedan, The new hard drive recorder that I bought two weeks ago, no longer working, sure got a replacement under warrantee, (but gone is the nude horse riding). Ok next, last night, listening to some music on head phones, and doing some browsing, have an amp hooked up to the PC, had a few beers & was kicking back, could smell something electrical, ****, coming from the amp, hit the off switch and the bugger went phizzit and died. Alright the thing was over 25 years old, (the don't build em to last do they) So three things in three days.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:48 AM

don't act like macs are better. pc=blue screen of death ------mac= restarts for no aparent reason

Ya I agree about electronics.Too much trash getting pushed out so quality nowadays is trash

Old 01-21-2007, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: wsideshow

------mac= restarts for no aparent reason
LOL.. spinning beach ball of death!!!

MDFF

Old 01-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: wsideshow

don't act like macs are better. pc=blue screen of death ------mac= restarts for no aparent reason

Ya I agree about electronics.Too much trash getting pushed out so quality nowadays is trash
You must be thinking of old macs running OS9 classic. Using OSX on G5 dual (multiple computer set-ups) I never turn the things off and I think I may have restarted a total of 6 or 7 times in a one year period ... and those where usually for software installs. OSX is Unix based(which the U.S. treasury uses on thier servers) which is one of the most stable os's .. if/when it ever crashes there is a firewall between each app so it only crashes the app not the system - and that in itself is very very rare. (although XP has copied that part of the feature). I don't find any part of the new macs being "trash".

p.s. Above is not from some Apple fanatic ... I use both pc's and mac's (over 20 of each) for my business .. just stating the facts.

Now back to your regularly scheduled show.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 AM

UNIX is the ****, its kinda ironic, they made it to read and operate in C++, it worked so well they reprogramed it in C++, only operating system that i know of that was programed and operates in the same language... thats why its so stable, nowdays OSes are all crazy, i want to convert over to unix but... i'm scared to have to learn something new =D.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:05 AM

I have to say I have no problems... I like to embrace the new technology. I am not sure what I would do without my PocketPC during class, not only do I take notes on it, or have them saved, if I get really bored a game of solitare or Tiger Woods is only a button push away.

Cell phones are great (even if I am an *** an walk around with my bluetooth on).

Sure I will probably regret all this technology in another 10 years when people will have to try to be unconnected but for the time being I am loving it.

Quick Reply: Stupid Modern Devices