Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stupid Laws

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock=lawn mower

Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You obviously never get on the cam. They all get loud above 9K, and they all get loud when you're putting over 65-70hp down. 70hp is one hell of a lot of air being pushed out the pipe very fast. I have nothing against aftermarket pipes, they often sound better and weight a lot less and CAN (not always) help the bike make more power. I don't like loud ones, I get the blame with my quiet Yoshi pipe for people who run no baffles or no mufflers at all.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:25 PM

shouldn't your micron exhaust be loud enough? i have a 2bro's. its not extremely loud while cruising. but like someone else said, if you need to get somone's attention, nothing beats pulling in the clutch and hitting over 10k rpm's. it'll usually wake them up enough to realize they are about to screw up and possibly kill you. as said, I would rather someone be pissed off at me over me revving at them bc they are about to cause an accident/death scene then to actually become part of the deceased...Just sayin!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ls1Tuner_06
shouldn't your micron exhaust be loud enough? i have a 2bro's. its not extremely loud while cruising. but like someone else said, if you need to get somone's attention, nothing beats pulling in the clutch and hitting over 10k rpm's. it'll usually wake them up enough to realize they are about to screw up and possibly kill you. as said, I would rather someone be pissed off at me over me revving at them bc they are about to cause an accident/death scene then to actually become part of the deceased...Just sayin!
I did it because i never want to be in the "about to" situation. Granted, i know saying "never" is unrealistic, but i was to lower the probably of getting rundown by some guy with low visibility vehicles or the stupid people who just love to blare music. (and yes i fall into both these categories)

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personal opinion: only thing a loud pipe does is stroke your ego. The pipe directs the rearward, not forward or to the side where most danger is. And human nature is to tune out constant input. It does not have the same alert effect that even our tiny horns have when they suddenly sound out into the background noise.

Fact: there is no conclusive proof that pipes do or do not save lives. NONE (unless a recent study was done).

I however don't find the law stupid. Since spring started, my block's noise level has risen tremendously from pipes. During the day it doesn't bug me but at 1am I'm ready to hurt someone. Worst are the straight pipe Harley that are loud enough to set off my bike'sshock sensor when its parked on the sidewalk and set to medium sensitivity (takes a nudge to set it off).

Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Chances are you're not going to get ticketed for a loud pipe.
well then i suggest you stay out of New Hope, Pa. The cops there, who are rockin peddle power, have a decibel reader. and the town is slow going so they will ride up right next to you, get your reading and tap you on the shoulder and give you a ticket. its not a fix it ticket and there is no arguing it. i had a few friends try and they walk into court, judge said lout exhaust with db reading over 94 (i think). pay fine. next.

personally i say rock whatever just when you get into towns or speed limits 35 and under, keep the rpms down. its just common courteous.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Not to go too far off subject but my best friend owns a prius (don't worry its his wife's) and that thing is QUIET. He had to tell me when it was on. Now with that being said if I wanted to pull out of my driveway and a prius was driving down the road and going the opposite direction was a f-350 diesel both of which were out of sight say due to terrain, who am I going to hear first giving me a heads up that someone is coming? I'm not saying that I haven't seen some d*ck harley riders that shake windows when they fly by with there exhaust but IMO loud gives everyone a heads up that your there.

FYI- The d&d strokes my ego pretty damn good lol

EDIT:I am supporting loud exhausts, not the excessively "shaking windows and wake up the kids" exhaust.

Last edited by daniels; 06-06-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And to add something : hitting the horn only requires one to move their thumb. To rev the engine so someone who obviously already didn't hear your loud pipe requires something I consider stupid... Pulling in the clutch.

You're taking the drive offline to do it at a moment when you might NEED the engine.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the "people with loud pipes make us all look like butt-heads" school. I've been a biker since '78, and loudpipes have always annoyed me, cars or scooters. In fact, my current baby had a D&D carbon-fibre can on it when I bought it. It's collecting dust in the garage now, since I got a stock can and pipes to go back to OEM.

That said, I DON'T mind a louder rumble for those that are so inclined. I just despise hearing you from more than a block away, whether it's your exhaust OR your stereo.

I depend on my situational awareness and planning to avoid getting into threatening situations. If I blow the call, there isn't any noise that's gonna help.

As far as horns/loud revs to notify people that they are intruding into your zone, I'd rather spend my milli-seconds and reflexes getting OUT of the threat zone. Like I want to depend on someone else's reflexes to avoid injury? Hardly.

On a more practical note, it's now federal law that you cannot remove/modify, without replacing to stock spec, any exhaust component on a motorcycle. That includes both EPA/catalitic equipement and maintaining maximum federal noise-levels required of the manufacurer. This is going to completely change the field for after-market exhaust manufactorers. Eventually that loud exhaust IS going to cause you problems.

Ern

Quick Reply: Stupid Laws