Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stupid Laws

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Laws

So I decided to chop my micron exhaust during several hard days of rain.
It's loud and for a new rider like myself I figure more noise = more presence = longer life. After talking to a few people I find out that bikes can be ticketed for excessive noise. Honestly, how stupid is this? I was gunna take a nice long ride this week until I found this out and became weary. Have any of our more experienced members been ticketed for their bikes being too loud?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Who cares - worse case scenario is they give you a ticket for it being too loud. It's not a moving violation so pay it and move on.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM

I don't think it's that dumb of a law. Loud bikes are a public nusance. Bikes are already loud enough as they come from the factory and do **** off the cagers, no need to make them more angry. I like to be silent because they don't see me anyways, they just have a general idea that I'm there from the pipe and I know the pipe pisses them off because loud bikes **** me off! Pay it forward, if we don't look like ******** with loud pipes and irresponsible riding, we don't get hit with more restrictive laws and don't get run over by road-raging cagers as often. Do unto others and all that, I don't want to be woken up by what sounds like a road race, I don't think others do either!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Chances are you're not going to get ticketed for a loud pipe. Now yes they can give you a ticket but as along as your not breaking the law( ie speeding) then you should be fine. Just don't cruise with the bike at 10K RPM. I had a D&D on my F4i which was insanely loud and never once got bothered for a loud pipe.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Of the 3 bikes I have owned, only one of them has had a baffle in the can. My current F4i makes your ears bleed above 5k. I always short shift when cruising around the city, I only open her up on the highway where no one is around to care. Wear earplugs or better yet, get an iPod and some in ear buds so you can jam to tunes while you are out cruisin.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Keep the revs down in town and you'll be fine.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by jtkardel
Bikes are already loud enough as they come from the factory and do **** off the cagers, no need to make them more angry.
The stock exhausts they put on bikes remind me of what my Civic sounded like. Quiet and dull. "loud pipes save life's" is more true than most people think. Nothing get's a car's attention like pulling in the clutch and giving the throttle a quick twist. If they get pissed, so be it. Them being upset beats me being dead.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM

yea i try to shift early to keep the noise down in neighborhoods.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by daniels
The stock exhausts they put on bikes remind me of what my Civic sounded like. Quiet and dull. "loud pipes save life's" is more true than most people think. Nothing get's a car's attention like pulling in the clutch and giving the throttle a quick twist. If they get pissed, so be it. Them being upset beats me being dead.
EXACTLY! i enjoy living

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Don't come to San Francisco. Loud pipes get your *** run over here. What saves your life is situational awareness and staying out of car's way.

Quick Reply: Stupid Laws