Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stoked: Gonna start recording!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoked: Gonna start recording!

I've played the guitar for about 3 years now, playing every week at the church for youth group the past 2 years. Now i'm leading worship on saturday nights. I've been encouraged to record my music by all my friends this past year,soI went out and bought a mic and cables and a recording interface that i can plug into the USB port on my computer. I cant wait to start coming out with CD's and being able to sell some of my stuff!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Stoked: Gonna start recording!

Awesome, Drew! That is my cup of tea. I've recorded an album of originals, and I am currently recording rhythm/lead guitar parts for a rocker gal that I play with on a regular basis. I have been playing guitar since I was nine (24 years now), so if there is anything you are curious about, pm me. Also, sign me up, behind your mother of course, for one of the first copies (I hope I get 5% discount ).Mostly, try to relax when you record (that is very hard to do), and just sing and playfrom your soul. Have fun...that is the most important thing a musician can do!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:50 AM

Thanks for the tip man, did you ever think you might want to take music as a career? Or do you do it as a hobby? I would love to get paied to play, heck, i would rather play and make less money, than do something that makes me tons of money. But then again, i'm afraid to make it a career and stop loving it.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Ummm, I don't play guitar, although I've always wanted to learn how to play acoustic. I love acoustic. Like when a band come out with a song, then does it again in acoustic, to me, that sounds better. I understand how you feel Drew. I'm currently in school now for Pre-Med, I mean yeah, I love helping people, but I think a majority of it came from my parents who are both Dr's, and they wanted me to be just like them, but deep down, I really want to do something with golf. That's why I'm working on getting my PGA card now. I'd rather make $70K a year doing something that I love rather than $700K a year doing something that I know I wouldn't be happy with.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Mstngdrew232

Thanks for the tip man, did you ever think you might want to take music as a career? Or do you do it as a hobby? I would love to get paied to play, heck, i would rather play and make less money, than do something that makes me tons of money. But then again, i'm afraid to make it a career and stop loving it.
Starting when I was in middle school, Iknew I was going to move to L.A. and become rich and famous. I starting playing in the local bars at 17, and I thought I was so cool. Then I got married at 19 and had my first son a year later...and the world lost a future superstar. I still play aound locally. I was actually voted the valley's favorite musician (small area) in a local magazine, which felt pretty good. I'll tell you what, playing other people's tunes teaches you to hate songs you used to love...you can only play Sweet Home Alabama so many times before you want to jump off a cliff. Original music is what I do to make my soul feel better. Keep at it!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

siccck drew

Old 04-07-2007, 05:05 PM

I play...(did I post this already?)

I play electric mostly now, but played classical at one time...

Some of my music...

I play all the lead guitar work...backing track is by John Mayes...who's a pro producer.

wma file 2.0 MB
Just doing it solo from unfinished collab

Here is my take on George Lynch's old Without Warning.

Got the backing track from the internet...

wma file 900 kb
Some soloing by me inspired by one of my fave players George Lynch

Old 04-07-2007, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Mstngdrew232

You have the right attitude to be an artist..not just a "player".

Keep it up...and let's hear some of your stuff when you get it rolling...

If you need some tips on PC recording..be glad to help.

First thing is get some good phones for monitoring.

Guitar Center has some Sennheisers for about $99...

Old 04-07-2007, 08:47 PM

i just started playin about two weeks ago,not very good right now but workin on it. i have a fender squire anda little marshall amp. my neighbor is really good so he is trying to teach. he let me borrow an acoustic which is cool. some of the stuff is actually sounding like music, thats a good feeling

Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Anyone who seriously wants to know the best guys to ask about PC recording PM me...

These are serious, professional musicians, recording engineers, some slightly famous.

They helped me get from sounding like my recording was done with a soup can to getting decent, almost pro quailty recordings from
very very limited software.

They don't want to deal with non serious peeps though...reason for the PM.

BTW...

Here is a finished short tune of mine...

El Belah...it means "Lake where God Devoured"...

Some decent runs, taps, arps, and shaking of the notes until the wood creaks...and cracks...

All music by me except the drums which were a free loop I scrounged from the internet.

wma file...run time 2minutes and 23 seconds...

El Belah By BMG