Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Starting my MSF basic rider course tomorrow (Fort Lauderdale, FL)....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gigaman1
so is mine, today and tomorrow only.
goodluck man, im sure you'll pass... shet when i did i felt like a champ hahaha

Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 AM

I took the MSF course at 17, fresh permit, and no riding experience at all. I came out with the best score in the class.

And yeah, If you're just getting into the riding, starting with the hand grip spring exercise things.. because holding that clutch for hours will get to weaker hands (for us computer geeks)

Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Lol and I work for geek squad! But yeah here now and it's going good so far

Originally Posted by MarkF3
I took the MSF course at 17, fresh permit, and no riding experience at all. I came out with the best score in the class.

And yeah, If you're just getting into the riding, starting with the hand grip spring exercise things.. because holding that clutch for hours will get to weaker hands (for us computer geeks)

Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM

wish i took that advice.. my left hand was hurting for days =(

Old 07-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the basic MSF class last year. Although I already had a motorcycle license for over 35 years it had been several decades since I last owned one and I wanted a refresher course.

I tied for the top riding score. I would have gotten #1 except I didn't use any braking when going around a big sweeper turn. At parking lots speeds I didn't feel that I was going fast enough to have to use the brakes. I guess the instructor ddin't see it that way.

So, how'd you all do in the figure-8 box? I did fine on their little Suzuki 250 bike. I went back and tried it again a few weeks later on my 1000RR and it wasn't so easy. I did manage to stay within the wider lines that they use in the advance course.The instructor warned me ahead of time that larger sport bikes aren't meant for tight radius turns.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Default Figure 8...

The figure 8 box wasnt bad, during practice a couple times I put my foot down but when it came to the test I actually didnt put my foot down and made it. I did great on the stopping fast portion and the accelerating through the turn at the end I was going pretty fast but no problems!

I did the best I think on the road course and all of us but one person got 100% on the written test w00t!

the written part is retarded easy. and if you drop the bike you will fail but seems to be the only way to fail. Our instructor allowed one guy to redo the braking once during the test because he didnt do very well.

I learned what I could out of it, but I dont think its worth $275. Maybe $125 lol

Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 AM

I got stuck between the minor/18 yr old law in PA when it came to the motorcycle license test. I was F'n pss'd off when I finally got my dad to sign the 50 hour riding sheet paper to take my test.

As for the figure 8, I did the test on my F3. Choked it, Upped my idle to 2k rpm, and used a ton of rear brake. I've actually taught the rear brake skill to a lot of novice cruiser riders learning the figure 8's

As for the 2nd gear, hand down, stop, part of the test.. I proudly kicked the back tire up, over, and back down, firmly planting the stop of my endo.. with my visor DOWN! hey now... he said gun it into 2nd! so i did.

I had the biggest, cheesiest smile on my license picture after that stunt!

Hmm. they charge for the MSF course? I think it was free in PA.. but this was 10+ years ago

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM

The figure 8 box wasnt bad, during practice a couple times I put my foot down but when it came to the test I actually didnt put my foot down and made it. I did great on the stopping fast portion and the accelerating through the turn at the end I was going pretty fast but no problems!

I did the best I think on the road course and all of us but one person got 100% on the written test w00t!

the written part is retarded easy. and if you drop the bike you will fail but seems to be the only way to fail. Our instructor allowed one guy to redo the braking once during the test because he didnt do very well.

I learned what I could out of it, but I dont think its worth $275. Maybe $125 lol

congrats! I had to redo the braking part bc the instructor said i let off the gas "anticipating the stop" but in the end i passed with flying colors...

it is a little expensive but the 10% discount on insurance more and pays for it when your a 22yo with a 600rr

Old 07-21-2011, 08:47 AM

I think Pennsylvania is one of the few states if not the only state, that the DMV picks up the tab for the safety course.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 AM

I learned what I could out of it, but I dont think its worth $275.
I think that's about what Maryland is charging (where I took mine), but it was only $180 when I took it about 4 years ago . I think the increased popularity of the course is definitely driving the price up. Although considering its like a 2 day motorcycle rental, instruction, and your license test, it's still not too bad of a deal.