Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Squid or Not
Yes
52.43%
No
47.57%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Squid or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbear
1. Who said you're going to hell? I sure didn't... I didn't see anyone else touch on religion or your character. You're just not very smart (maybe I'd say you're not consequence-oriented).

2. Have you ever seen crashes on bicycles?? People get absolutely torn up! Then add a 500-lb hunk of metal?? Come on dude.. I can at least see that some people just are willing to risk injury to ride without gear but to think that you can't mess yourself up -- or get messed up by an obstacle/road hazard -- at 30 mph is just dumb.

3. You can not run 20 mph. Just stop it right now. That's just ridiculous. If you can, I expect to see you in the next summer Olympics.

4. Who said we're scared of going down?? I haven't dropped/low-sided/high-sided/wrecked and I have ridden 15k+ miles a year for the last two years. I ride every day to work. I ride 300-600 miles about every other weekend. In those miles, I see deer and rabbits and owls and turtles and opossums and raccoons and dogs and cats and hogs and turkeys and all kinds of wildlife crossing the road. I see patches of gravel and shotty roads and cars leaking oil and people dropping trash and **** out of their cars. Most of all I see idiot drivers who are intent to get through that late yellow light, to change lanes without signaling or even looking in a mirror or blind spot, to run a stop sign instead of stopping and looking left-right-left, or to just talk on the cell/text/do makeup/read books/yell at kids/doze off/eat or just be generally incompetent behind the wheel. I'm scared of going down? Oh contrare.

I'm ready to go down. Are you?

I don't know where you guys are pulling this crap about us gear guys saying that people without gear shouldn't ride or we're elitist. That is just silly. Do we think you're dumb? Yes. Do we wish you would wear gear for your own good? Yes. Do we think you are immature and ignorant for hating on gear? Yes. Do we really think some talk on the internet is going to convert all of you gear haters? No. Many of you will have to see something horrific or have a bad spill to get the clue. In the end, it's your choice and you are the one to deal with the consequences, and no one can take that opportunity from you.

But maybe there's some noob lurking these threads that needed a little sound logic on what and how many risks there are, and maybe he'll go down and grab a perforated leather jacket for a measly $150 down at his local shop so he has a little insurance while he's out riding his new bike he bought this summer.
1. Had a hard time reading through everything. Don't need to be called names on saying who is smart and what not. I also put that I wear gear as well but again must flew over your head thinking I don't wear gear at all.

2. I have been down at low speeds. On bikes a couple of times(mini bikes and regular bike). It hurts ya but risking to hop on the bike could be fatal at any time. **** even doing a burnout with a fwd open differential can be fatal and yet people do it.

3.I can run 20 mph. Its not going to get me in the olmpyics since a lot of running backs in the nfl can do 20-25 with equipment on. For you not knowing what I am capable of doing is just being stubborn on what you think is true and not true.

Believe me never wanted to start a fight with it but more open people's minds. Harley guys don't even wear helmets and yet your called a squid on jap bike for wearing only a helmet. The moral is it seems that I said 30mph not 60 or 100..30mph. Yes you can get injured at any time but if this were the case I might as well never drive,never ride, never swim and just lock myself in the house. The moral of the story is people are going to do what they want to wear/ride.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
but the message I got was that a LOT of our "luck" is self-made. Self-control plays a pretty big role. Sure there are accidents which are completely unforeseeable, but I truly think they are extremely rare and can be greatly minimized by some care (dare I say, some healthy fear?).
Well to continue with the condom example, I carried a 3 pack always. Luck was if I met a woman that could go 3 rounds

Seriously tho (but I wasn't kidding bout the 3 pack), the majority of the time something will be found that the rider could have done to prevent the accident in the after action report. Whether they want to admit it or not. Someone might call it bad luck to find a patch of gravel at the apex of their turn. But did they look hard enough?

Luck or confidence in scoring. Luck or rider error in riding. Condoms and gear for whatever you call it.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rhythm method?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM

To say that people who preach ATGATT is elitist is pretty arrogant in my opinion. I would say that people who are ATGATT are realists.
Are all people who wear gear elitist? No. However, a lot of them think higher of themselves because they do so. The whole "I won't even ride with someone who isnt geared top to bottom" is pretty elitist if you ask me.

e·lit·ism   [ih-lee-tiz-uhm, ey-lee-] Show IPA
–noun
practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.
Id like to compare it to Mac vs PC. As a generalization, Apple fans are seen as smug ******** because they are part of a "cool culture" which turns their noses up to nay-sayers. How stupid would it be to say that you wont be someones friend because they use a PC and its "not smart" because they are more susceptible to viruses/spyware which could have their identity stolen? Sounds kinda like someone saying they wont ride with you because you arent geared top to bottom and its "not smart" because you are more susceptible to injury.

I drive 1/2 mile to my local grocery store every other night and the only thing I don't put on is my leather lowers (I put on my kevlar reinforced jeans). I commute 10 miles to work every single day in my 2-piece leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet with my CE back armor.
More power to you brother. I cant make it 2 blocks away to the bank without my tshirt and underwear being soaked with sweat. Isnt it awesome to squeeze your helmet padding and make a small sweat pool?

BTW how much less do kevlar jeans breathe than regular jeans? Is it noticable?

Also, Id love to see someone riding around town here in full leathers. Id give them major props. Never seen it before.

Last edited by andyriot; 06-01-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I said I was out of this one, but someone mentioned "rhythm method" and my mod senses went off....

This topic is much like the topic of safety gear at work, too.
I get the same excuses.
You wouldn't think it wouldn't be all that important to wear safety glasses when you're just untarping a trailer, but you're supposed to. Apparently there's a chance of losing your eye when a strap lets loose and the hook flys at your face (happened a couple months ago...hook got him right in the eye socket!!)

Same fight with people wearing hi-viz stuff. It's a PITA sometimes, I'll admit....but you have a little different perspective after seeing a guy get crushed by a Cat 836.
And I know... extreme examples. However, they're examples where safety gear could have made a big difference. The chances are slim, no doubt about it.... but I'm still more for the ounce of prevention vs. the pound of cure.
And quite frankly.... I've hit concrete and asphalt too many times. I know how it feels to not be able to sit down right for 3wks because half the skin on my azz is gone. And I still have scars on my wrists (both sides) and my hands and knees.
All of this was done on pedal bikes, too. My old redlines took a beating...
(oh, and don't get too close to those idiots with pegs on their bikes. That chit doesn't end well.... )

BTW how much less do kevlar jeans breathe than regular jeans? Is it noticable?
It's noticeable. Not terrible, tho. It's kinda like wearing real thick regular jeans. I'm wearing them right now.

I would look into some perforated leather, man. I'm telling you, that's what I got this year and it's WAY cooler than my textile stuff. I can't believe it took me so many years to discover it.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I would look into some perforated leather, man. I'm telling you, that's what I got this year and it's WAY cooler than my textile stuff. I can't believe it took me so many years to discover it.
seriously? my buddy rides in a textile and that **** is hot as all get out! lol

whats worst is all the stop and go traffic. all the stop lights and stop signs. i swear some of the stop lights around here will go on for an easy 8 minutes. it is so brutal to be sitting there baking in the sun with no wind (not that you can feel it in a helmet/jacket/jeans/gloves lol). and unfortunately that is most of my riding as a daily driver. to me its already so miserable sometimes, i cant imagine dealing with full leathers, that is just insane.

Last edited by andyriot; 06-01-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Guy at the office is buying a bike. Not 100% sure he's mentally ready for something that can do 0-60 in 4 sec or less but oh well. I do know he's barely financially ready to own a bike and is going to blow his entire wad on the bike. He paled when I told him the price of my old helmet and jacket.

So I gave him my old helmet and jacket. That's not Elitism. That's the polar opposite in fact.

No, I won't ride with someone unless they have the minimum. Yeah you live or die with the consequences of not wearing gear. You know what? So does the guy next to you if you go down. The better they know you, the worse it'll be for them if they have any soul or conscience. You think your buddy wants to leave you screaming in pain from road rash to try and find some water to clean the wounds. Or sit there helpless looking at your unconscious body waiting for an ambulance to arrive cause you hit your unprotected head? Not me, not anyone I give a damn about. They gear up or they don't ride with me.

And for someone I don't know, some guy that just rolls up, what he's got on to protect himself is my first impression of him. It may give a wrong impression, cause there are squids out there fully geared for the eventuality of them doing something extremely stupid. But at least I'll ride off with them to find out. No gear, he's saying:
  • He's not concerned with his safety. So why should I think he'll be concerned with mine?
  • He's more concerned with his comfort than his safety. So his priorities a different than mine.

Neither will make me comfortable during the ride.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

id rather ride with someone in no gear besides a helmet and gloves who rides safe and responsible then someone dressed head to toe with "full gear" who rides like a jackass any day.

and if anyone wont ride with me just because i dont have boots on ... well... bye

Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by HAVOC
id rather ride with someone in no gear besides a helmet and gloves who rides safe and responsible then someone dressed head to toe with "full gear" who rides like a jackass any day.

and if anyone wont ride with me just because i dont have boots on ... well... bye
No offense, Havoc, but if you were to just roll up rocking a helmet, gloves and some Nikes I'd pass. If you were to just roll up rocking a helmet, gloves, some Nikes and introduced yourself as Havoc from here I'd say "Cool! Go slow or leave me behind"

Difference being there is more demonstrable history with your introduction of your riding from here. Same would go with andyriot (not that he asked). Or Krux, who did ask with this poll and I replied he wasn't a squid. Some guys on here I'd ride with if they showed up in full gear and no introduction. And those same guys I'd park the bike and take a looooong a$$ lunch till they'd cleared the city limits if they did introduce themselves.

Gotta go with my gut when my safety is concerned. Even if I err, at least its on the safe side

Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seriously? my buddy rides in a textile and that **** is hot as all get out! lol
It is definitely hot, no doubt about that. That's why when I got the perf leather it was AMAZING! Night and day.
I ride in kevlar jeans, tho, no perf leather pants.... yet.
But dam, just the perf leather jacket made such a difference. (Although I was used to being soooo hot in reg leather or textile)
I just can't get down with the mesh stuff, tho. I don't know. I'm sure it's cool, too, but I don't know as I trust it. The armored stuff has to be better than without, tho.

Quick Reply: Squid or not