Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

sport bike culture?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Culture" - I hate it.

I love riding and sport bikes appeal to me. I am a professional with an extensive academic education, a CPA, and assorted other credentials, and unfortunately the sport bike culture is the exact opposite. It is 95% arrogant loudmouth kids with their pants too big, their hats on crooked, grammer and general poise all but non-existant, and with a complete lack of social graces.

Although there are some good people that are out their riding because they love it, and not falling into that category, a LOT do, and unfortunately those of us who do not have to get lumped in with the others.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of the internet, people who do something that isn't mainstream can still find plenty of people who share their interests, no matter where they are. So if the guy who has the part my bike needs or can walk me through a repair I need to make lives on the other side of the country, no problem - I'll find him on this forum. It's a lot easier to connect with like-minded people than it was a couple decades ago.

I enjoy the sensation of riding, and the mental and physical challenges of everything from carving a clean line to diagnosing and fixing a mechanical problem. And the bike's fuel efficiency, maneuverability, and ability to park in small spaces make it a very practical way to travel.

I don't like having to explain why a quiet, responsible middle-aged family man and business owner is doing something that a lot of people associate with 19-year-old aholes splitting lanes at 130 mph or bouncing off the rev limiter just to make noise. So I would just as soon most of my neighbors or business associates never know I ride.

Unfortunately, the people who ride to get attention are successful at getting attention, and their behavior is what most people associate with sportbikes. The fact that most of us are very generious with our time, whether giving advice on this forum or stopping to help when we see a disabled bike on the side of the road, gets overlooked.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Munson
Unfortunately, the people who ride to get attention are successful at getting attention, and their behavior is what most people associate with sportbikes. The fact that most of us are very generious with our time, whether giving advice on this forum or stopping to help when we see a disabled bike on the side of the road, gets overlooked.
Agreed.

Like most of us, I ride for the love of it and for the rush and the freedom. I ride for the comradery I have with the friends I ride with and for the general pleasure.

It's a shame that our "culture" is largely shaped by stereotypes perpetuated by people who, I think, participate in our sport for the "wrong" reasons or take no regard for the consequences of their actions.

All the same, there's plenty of people out there who don't ride but still get what we're doing and why. I love getting a wave from some little kid and waving back and watching them smile so big. While a lot of people have a certain idea about us and our "culture", there's still plenty of people who have a fascination and feel excitement toward bikes just like we do.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Ditto to Seaford, Munson and Chuckbear,

I don't fit the typical sportbike profile. I just love my playing with my toy.

Most of my riding is alone, usually where no one can see me. The other purpose is riding with my young adult son.

I'm actually a little uncomfortable when I see people staring. And I'm not usually averse to attention. But I imagine they are frequently thinking "What a hoodlum" or "He's too old to be doing that" or "How irresponsible" or "How immature" or some such. OTOH, I've been hearing some of that since High School 40 years ago.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JHouse
I'm actually a little uncomfortable when I see people staring. And I'm not usually averse to attention. But I imagine they are frequently thinking "What a hoodlum" or "He's too old to be doing that" or "How irresponsible" or "How immature" or some such. OTOH, I've been hearing some of that since High School 40 years ago.
Yea, same thing (except for high school being 40 years ago, geez house you're as old as my dad!!! ). You can really feel the stares from people who are judging you. I don't get upset or anything about it until some idiot cuts me off, but it's a little tragic that a lot of people just don't seem to understand. I surf as well, and I really do it for a lot of the same reasons. There's a certain serenity and peace of mind I get when surfing and riding my bike (away from heavy traffic) that you can't replicate for the most part. Endorphins...

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM

I love getting a wave from some little kid and waving back and watching them smile so big. While a lot of people have a certain idea about us and our "culture", there's still plenty of people who have a fascination and feel excitement toward bikes just like we do.
that is a awesome feeling when you see their faces light and they are jumping up and down.

This seems to be the general thought of most people on this board. Its funny, most people that ride, don't fit the profile of a person that rides a sport bike. Harley riders have to deal with the stuff. Some of the nicest, most generous people I have ever met have been die hard Harley riders. Not the dirtbad low down scoundral that most think they are.

+10000^^^

I managed to make it to a local ride this year, and it was a let down. 100+mph until a corner comes up, then its 20mph. Then the constant of the newbies trying to pull wheelie after wheelie. Reving the motors as much as possible through thier residentail loop, then back to the local hangout to talk about how awesome their new gutted pipe is. And of course, the dumbest person there was also the loudest and made sure everyone heard him. Of course, he was the guy with a tank top, shorts and sandals. Needless to say, I'm am completely done with rides next year. I will just ride with the select few people who fit my riding style.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
... Needless to say, I'm am completely done with rides next year. I will just ride with the select few people who fit my riding style.
I went on one, and a fair number of the folks were just a LITTLE creepy.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Originally Posted by JHouse
Ditto to Seaford, Munson and Chuckbear,

Most of my riding is alone, usually where no one can see me. The other purpose is riding with my young adult son.

I object, cause if House is too old where does that leave CBRClassic and then what do I have to look forward to when I finally grow up.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:44 PM

its just part of it. hate to tell you. its part of the stigma associated with it. love it , hate it, you still have to deal with it. i like the "shininess" if i said its dangerous and we shouldn't do it, i bet half of the people would say "that's why i do it" its not the whole reason, i realize all the other benefits, and i love them, but you could get them on a 250 night hawk. people realize were riding something that goes as fast (if not faster) than a sports car. its a stigma. if all you guys were just in it for the curving aspect, and the feel of freedom, or the gas mileage, or even the parking, you wouldn't need a "sports" bike. there's a reason you chose a sports bike. performance. and its dangerous, hence the stigma...don't like it? get a 250, or a triumph, or even a wide glide.
you could get it all on one of those too. im not condoning no gear, and im not saying wheelies on the freeway are cool. im saying i like the way people look at me, especially the kids.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 AM

It's fun because it is a skill that allows us to exercise some of our natural aptitudes.

We do that in a lot of areas just to have the experience. As in sports and hobbies. We enjoy learning and succeeding. Developing a competence.

It ain't just transportation. You want a great tennis racket or golf clubs, so you want a great bike. It's more fun if the equipment extends your envelope.

So no 250.

Quick Reply: sport bike culture?