Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Silly beer question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Silly beer question.

So im out for saint pat day last night and having a few drinks. Now when i drink i always drink a mixed drink. Mostly jack or some kinda rum. I wanted to try a beer since ive only ever had bud light and hated it. So i bought a sam adams and i hate it. Luckily my friend liked em. So i go back to my drink in fear of wasting another 4 bucks on a beer.

My question for yall is how to you find a beer you like to drink? Or is it just a ton of trails and errors? The thing i dislike the most is the bitterness. Im guessing thats the hops? Any ideas on a sweeter beer maybe?

PS yes i have had smirnoff before and its pretty good but its so damn sugary you can only drink a few. Plus its kinda girly.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Nex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beer is more of an "acquired" taste. If you don't drink it regularly, chances are you won't find one that just "fits the bill" Try a Wheat Beer, some have hardly any bitterness. Also, you won't find anything of quality taste from Miller/Bud/Coors/Busch ect....find something local, from smaller brewing company's as they take their time and use a lot of different things to make custom tastes. Cheers from WI - Where beer drinking is an art-form

Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Louisiana? See if you can get Shiner Bock and give it a go. Brewed in Shiner, Tx but I don't think they export very far. Sam Adams has a fairly large flavor selection. Might find something there. Chimay but its expensive and not carried at most bars / clubs.

Course I'm a beer drinker so I don't know what you're talking about. Bitter? Huh???

Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Shiner Bock OWNS. Texas beer FTW

That being said... You will hate all your first beer drinking. But try this. buy a 12 pack and drink 1 a day I bet by the 12th sitting out in the sun you'll really want a beer.

I dont know why but that's just how it works ;P

Old 03-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Shiner was available up here, I wouldn't drink anything else. How many cases do you think I can fit on my F3?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
If Shiner was available up here, I wouldn't drink anything else. How many cases do you think I can fit on my F3?
Not more than one or two lol.

Ill go to the store and look for some shiner.Im pretty sure we have it here. well im goin to a bbq so ill check in with yall later if typing is possible. thanks for the help.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually prefer beer with a high hop content & flavour. But as Nex said, it can bee an acquired taste. I used to hate red wine, happened when I was pretty young & after a big night of drinking & hours of steering the porcelain bus, I swore that I would never touch it again & even the smell of it brought back the memory of that night. But went for a holiday in a wine district & at one winery & already 3/4 soused I tried a few tastings (small glasses) & now love it (not as much as beer though).
If you want to get a sweeter taste in beer, try one with a shot, like fer instance one with a shot of ginger cordial (you guys may call syrup) turns it into a Ginger beer for grown ups. Or if you can get this over there, with a generous dash. Warning, it lives up to its name.Name:  g_stones_original_and_special_reser.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.5 KB

Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM

since in louisiana , like i am , you should give abita beer a try . they have a few different types . they are a local brewery out of abita springs .

Attached Thumbnails Silly beer question.-abita.jpg  

Last edited by cajun rider; 03-18-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 AM

I love bitter beer, so I cant tell you what to go for, but I can tell you what to stay away from.

Every Sam Addams Ive ever had had a nice bitter taste. Guinness is bitter and HEAVY, If you like (black) coffee you may like Guinness, but I hate coffee and love Guinness.

One beer that you may like is Surly. I dont remember exactly what it was called but it was brewed by Surly and had a grapefruit taste.

A good way to find a beer you like is to go to Old Chicago and get a sampler, or simply ask for a little taster for beers youve heard are good. Also asking the server/bartender what they would recommend is a good idea. Just tell them you want to stay away from bitter beer and heavy hopps beers.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Liking beer was a conscious decision for me. I didn't like paying $6-8 for a drink when my buddies beer was <$4. I just started drinking it.

You will find that as you drink beer your tastes will change a little bit from when you start. The recommendation on Wheat beers was a good one. You will find that not all beers that are "good" you will like, and vice versa.

Blue Moon is a good way to go. I like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Shock Top is really good too. Leinenkugel makes a lot of really good beers too. Looking forward to seeing Summery Shandy back on the shelves. Killians and a couple other Irish Red is also favorites of mine. I forget who brews it now but I was at a "pub" style place here in the US that was modeled after ones in Scotland (I assume) but I had an Oatmeal Stout that was amazing.

My favorite go-to beer is New Castle. If I feel like being cheap, Miller Lite works. I used to hate Great Lakes Christmas Ale (blasphemy, I know) but that has changed though and I really enjoy it (as does everybody else, and it is stupid expensive).

Amazing site: http://beeradvocate.com/

Quick Reply: Silly beer question.