Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sick feeling

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick feeling

I saw a fatal motorcycle accident today on the highway while I was at work. Probably not the first time in my life but now that I ride and my dad and best friend ride it really hit home. I think 2 bikes were involved or at least two people. The bikes didn't look totally destroyed so I don't think speed was a factor, more or less someone in a car cut in front of them or just ran them off the road or rear ended them. Seeing two white sheets on the shoulder is something I hope to never see again, really made me feel sick. Just a reminder to stay safe out there and stay far away from idiots on phones. I may stop at the spot if there's flowers or a cross there and pay my respect, I didn't know them but I could've waved to them at one point in time and that's enough for me. Stay safe friends.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 PM

I was headed to a friends house once going southbound towards the beach and they had an entire northbound stretch of road closed. 1/4 mile up, you saw the bike, another 1/8th mile up you saw a helmet, and just a few hundred yards after that there was a body covered in a white sheet and a pool of blood so big it looked like a puddle of oil on the asphalt.

Luckily I saw this long before I ever thought I'd want a bike, but that mental image still hits home once in awhile. Unfortunately we have far too many motorcycle fatalities that probably could have been avoided.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:49 PM

No doubt that will make the news. Hopefully the cager gets what they deserve! Either way I am sure their life is ruined...

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM

I had a family member that was cut off and lost control into a pole in NY when I was young. Didn't actually see it, but the loss was pretty bad.

After I got in the military, I ended up working on the ambulance as an EMT. Seen some pretty nasty wrecks, and a few motorcycle fatalities. It sucks.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM

There seem to be many, many accidents around the DFW area. I am fortunate enough not to be in one nor have seen one, but it is a risk you take every time you go out.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I seen a few fatal's, a few to bloody many actually. When the Japanese bike boom took off here in the 70's, lost a few mates (mostly ex school friends). Japanese bikes were like **** holes then, everyone had one, & inexperience + teenage attitude + tin top stupidity made for a lethal mix.
I feel for anyone that has to experience seeing a fellow rider in tragic circumstances, it really hits home, but hopefully we come away from it a little wiser.
Funny isn't, you could have a carnage of cars on the verge every few clicks on the highway & apart from most drivers slowing down to rubber neck, majority would still continue to drive like dick's.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Finally found out exactly what happened, there was a van stopped in the middle of a two lane on ramp in a high traffic area and the guy on the bike hit the back of the van. I'm gonna guess he had no way of avoiding it, probably a tractor trailer or a bunch of cars in the left hand lane and no where for him to go. Just thought I'd let you guys know what happened.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:23 AM

Yeah i saw a pretty bad bike accident on my way home from school about a month ago and it really hit home and made me think. Every time im in a car now and see a driver do something stupid or almost hit me or someone else it makes me wonder what would happen if i was on the bike instead of in the car. Today i was pulling out of dunkin donuts into the left lane of a highway and some old guy in a mercedes decided to switch lanes all of a sudden with no blinker and i had to slam on my brakes cuz he was coming right at me, wasnt even looking.

Sometimes i also wonder if the roads would be much safer and if thered be less accidents and accident related fatalities if everyone drove a motorcycle. Were probably the most attentive and aware drivers on the road just by nature. Plus we have no cell phones and radios and this and that to be distracted by like in a car.