Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should I pay my neighbor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes we just do stuff cos' it's a learning experience. Always better to learn on someone else's bike rather than your own.

Cold beer, good music and a bit of good company, certainly all the payment I would ever expect.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM

I always do gift certificates for people if they help me out. Couple examples:

A neighbor is going to install some blinds for us because he ordered them through his company and he can put them in in about an hour since he does them EVERY day. (Also - he walked in and saw my bathroom torn out all the way to the studs, ceiling and floor joists and said I had other more important things to do (especially since my wife was due last Friday)). I have lived by him for 30 years and would never think of paying him - that is tacky. However, i will get him a nice gift certificate for him to take his wife out.

A couple months ago my buddy got a quote from a a local Marina to replace the transom assembly on his boat - it was over $7,000. I told him to bring it home and I'd do it for him. I ripped the engine out, tore off the Transom Assembly, put it all back together and got him in the water with all brand new parts for about $2,500. He and his wife dropped off a couple gift certificates and a card the other day - it was a completely un-necessary gesture, but was a much more classy way of thanking me than offering to pay me. I am actually going to save the gift certificate and buy him and his wifes some drinks at the local waterside bar sometime when we are there together.

If I was you - I'd get him a nice little gift certificate to an online (or local) bike shop so he can buy something for his bike since it is an interest you both share.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Sometimes we just do stuff cos' it's a learning experience. Always better to learn on someone else's bike rather than your own.

Cold beer, good music and a bit of good company, certainly all the payment I would ever expect.

I agree. This is getting too complicated lol. Guy is probably just a car/bike guy like the rest of us and just enjoys wrenching.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
If I was you - I'd get him a nice little gift certificate to an online (or local) bike shop so he can buy something for his bike since it is an interest you both share.
This is a really good idea. Thanks

Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

I dont drink, so beer wouldnt do it for me lol

i charge my friends to work on their bike (if its going to cost me money, and take me hours or nights), if its simple stuff, and they already have the supplies needed, no payment is need imo

but then again thats just me

Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 AM

Cold beer if he drinks, prepaid gas cards if he doesn't.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by comodidit
Cold beer if he drinks, prepaid gas cards if he doesn't.
Hmmm that is also a good idea.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

take him to a bar, buy some good beer, maybe some cigars......

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
He could put it in his fridge.
have you had a beer that was warm before?
hellz no.

Its called a cooler.

Secondly, I offer to work on bikes for people to help them out and also because I enjoy doing it. If he shows interest, obviously he enjoys it to an extent, so don't feel too bad.

Beer is just a general, basic, cheap and affordable way of saying I think you are fc*&% awesome.
Also, it gets people laid.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM

while beer is nice as is food. 90% percent of the time if someone offers me money ill take it.. I always say thanks or are you sure or something but most people that want me to help them do something is because ive volunteered to help them in the past .Its a sign of respect to me it say hey you have been there when i needed you before and here is hoping you will be again. now if they dont offer money or food or something its normally because they dont have it which is fine its not required. Just make sure if he ever hints that he needs something ( not talking sex) that you be available to help it shows you appreciate his time and effort and are eager to be a freind to him the same way he has been a freind to you.

Quick Reply: Should I pay my neighbor?