Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should I be mad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be mad?

I went to my local bike shop and one of the salesmen who I do get along with well told me that I was for sure going to lay my bike down this year since it's my first bike. Should I bet mad, or just bet him a hundred bucks and pocket it at the end of the year?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Target fixation. Make that bet and you'll fixate so much on not laying it down, you're almost guaranteed to do it

Oh yeah: Go back to the shop and punch the salesman in the ***** if he was serious. I find telling a new rider something like that to be nearly as disrespectful as using a racial slur on a person. Eventually, sometime in our riding career we're extremely likely to go down. Yes, I believe that. But that's over the entire time we're riding a bike.

But telling a new rider with their first bike they're gonna go down this year is an attack on their confidence. And I feel new riders need their confidence as much as they need experience. A guy at work did that to me when I got my bike, telling me constantly about the wrecks he saw in Greece. How I was going to die on the bike. All sorts of chit.

It took a couple other guys who ride (and know my temper) to keep me from pounding the crap out of him when I finally got sick of it. With 3 guys between me and him, the last words I've spoken to him since last summer were "If you can't say anything good, shut the **** up else my fists will shut you up".

I hold grudges like their pieces of coal and I'm trying to turn them into diamonds

Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 AM

He was being serious as a heart attack, cause we were talking about an 05 they had in the shop, and I said I wouldn't buy a bike that had been lowsided, and he was saying that I would go down this year and he guaranteed it, basically exactly what he said.

Cbrclassic, my main concern is not lowsiding, my main concern in Wisconsin, the drinking capital of America is being hit by a drunk driver. I know I need to get a little better gear, and I will before the season, but I'm not concerned about lowsiding, and 100 bucks would be a drop in the bucket on how much it would take to get that bike to how cherry it is now, it has only been dropped once in it's life, and it was a newb parking lot drop by the looks of it. My main concern wouldn't be the money, it would be keeping my bike (almost) as nice as yours until it's as old as yours.

Last edited by dyracuse; 01-17-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dyracuse
He was being serious as a heart attack, cause we were talking about an 05 they had in the shop, and I said I wouldn't buy a bike that had been lowsided, and he was saying that I would go down this year and he guaranteed it, basically exactly what he said.
I'd tell him just as serious he never be able to sell me so much as a rubber grommet from there on. And never associate with him again... Lest I lose that temper I know so well.

Hell if I were feeling really evil, when I was ready to buy another bike I ask him to help me choose. I'd make him give me the full rundown on every bike in the shop. Discuss options, gear, accessories and everything. When i finally made up my mind, I'd say thanks...

Then go grab another salesman and give him the sale

Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fastest way to a crash is

1) claiming you will never go down, because it will happen eventually!!

2) Worry about going down or messing your purdy bike up. Ride it n dont worry about it, yes its nice to have a mint bike, but I rather have fun riding

3) Claiming you will never go down, you're too good to go down, this statement=you're stupid!!!

No I wouldnt make that bet because the only way to insure winning is not to ride AT ALL this year!!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:35 AM

I didn't say I thought it would never be possible for me to go down, I just find it very irritating that he is adamant I will drop the bike this year.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by dyracuse
I didn't say I thought it would never be possible for me to go down, I just find it very irritating that he is adamant I will drop the bike this year.
Well the odds are against all of us so hes sorta right, but that doesnt mean its written in stone... yet lol

Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 AM

I've known racers that have raced 10 years, done well, and never crashed. I've known street riders that have ridden 30 years and never crashed.

I have a buddy that had an R6 for two years and an R1 for 3. Never crashed on the street.

The guy's a jerk to say you're going to crash this year. But don't make the bet 'cause you never know...I won't tell you the last time I crashed because I don't want to jinx myself. Mojo is important.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
I've known racers that have raced 10 years, done well, and never crashed. I've known street riders that have ridden 30 years and never crashed.

I have a buddy that had an R6 for two years and an R1 for 3. Never crashed on the street.

The guy's a jerk to say you're going to crash this year. But don't make the bet 'cause you never know...I won't tell you the last time I crashed because I don't want to jinx myself. Mojo is important.
Oh I know some riders thats not gone down too. I also know some that had went 30yrs w/o crashing n developed the attitude that they wouldnt ever go down. Well guess what they learned

the old lame saying is true, 2 kinds of riders....