Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

seems to be having a bit of a delema...any help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seems to be having a bit of a delema...any help

so here is my problem. for the past few weeks now I have been doing some thorough research on sport bikes and which ones might suit me best. I have looked at all of them (i.e. r6, zx6, cbr 600 and f4i, gixxer 600 rtc.) Notice I am staying within the 600 classification. I have even gone to a couple different forums to gather other peoples opinions. On a certain forum mainly for the Suzuki Gxsr crowd they HIGHLY discouraged newb beginners on beginning on a Gixxer. Their solution is to go with something along the lines of a SV650. I have no problems with that and understand the differences between that bike and a race replica like the Gixxer. So I go to the Sv forum. Much to my surprise a lot of people there even discourage the SV as being a well worthy beginner bike. So now I sit in front of my laptop with large question marks floating above me wondering what the deal is.

I am in the market to get a bike that I will have fun for quite some time with. I have been trying to avoid the new 08 Kawi 250r Ninja due to the fact that I dont want to get bored with it in a matter of months and not to mentioni dont want to be on a bike that sounds like it has a lawnmower motor under that fairings. BUT, I havent ruled that bike out completely. If I were to go based on the general consensious off of the Gixxer forumI would probably have to rule out that gsxr600 out due to the fact that the bike has too much power for my skill level. Now that leaves the Sv650. Fabulous looking bike when you add the lower fairing. One simple problem, unfortunately they are not readily available used in phx rt now along with the 08 ninja 250r. So I suppose my question is, "is the cbr f4i a decent bike for me (refer to my past posts for my skill level) to start off with?" or is it just like getting a gixxer?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: seems to be having a bit of a delema...any help

It all depends on how you intend to ride - If you plan a cautious beginning, keeping the revs down below 7000 for a while, and want to improve yourself through training,then an F4i is a great bike. 250 starters are for people who've never ridden before - good bikes, but you'll grow out of it quickly.
IF however, you plan to ride like a raped ape with lead implants in your right wrist from the get-go, then try something with a little less 'potential'. An F4i can be lethal in the wrong hands - for you or for others.
Nothing wrong with the SV650 - loads of low end grunt, good handling, etc etc. My son rode one for a couple of years, and enjoyed it.
I'd buy a second hand bike to begin with, and learn on it - maybe an F3 or similar, and when you feel you've come to terms with it, move up to the F4i. You won't lose that much on a trade-in, and dumping an older bike is less painful on the wallet.