Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Running Tolls...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Tolls...

Last night, or last year , I was with my buddy in Central Florida and we were on a toll road. Neither of us had any coins to pay for the tolls, so we just sped through them. Bad, i know, I'm not one to break the law, but I just went with the flow.

Anyways, my question is what will happen? Will I get a ticket? My buddy told me that they will just send me a bill in the mail requiring me to pay for the toll. Will I get points on my license? I'm a bit worried now, and I hope nothing bad comes of it. Any ideas?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:54 PM

From the Tollway Website:

Florida statute 316.1001 requires you to pay a toll if you drive on any toll road or bridge in the state. Failure to pay your toll is a moving violation, and if convicted, you may be assessed points on your driver’s license for not paying the toll, in addition to a fine.

Failure to comply with the unpaid toll notice may result in the issuance of a Uniform Traffic Citation.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they got a pic of your plate, you'll be getting something in the mail. A picture of you + fine.

If you don't pay it, there'll be consequences

Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Out of coins...get an epass -- no matter if you have coins or not just makes life easier. They'll mail you a ticket, pay the toll and you should be fine.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, toll roads in Florida. That reminds me of the time many years ago when I rode my 500cc enduro from St. Louis to Key West. On the way back I jumped on a toll road and stayed on it all the way up to Orlando, where I was spending a few days with some friends.

I realized it was getting expensive so about a mile before the manned toll booth exit I noticed a field off to the right and some roads beyond that. This was after dark so I figured no one would notice me. I rode across the grass, kicked down a section of the feeble fence to the field, rode across it and was on the side road. I left the toll card wedged in a fence post for whoever came along and wondered what had happened.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 AM

My girlfriend used to take the turnpike down here and just plow threw the tolls... Worst thing they did to her was send her the $1 toll charge to her house..

Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 AM

They probably got a clear view of your license plate. In california they just send you a bill with the required toll amount + 50$. No points to your DL.

I'm sure you can get some kind of pass device for those roads. It will save you time, money, and your nerves.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 AM

I've HAD to run through some tolls. Damn thing kept taking my quarters.... I never got a letter. But I'm sure they understood. Here in DFW they have ZipCash. No one ever has to stop for change. They send you a bill. There's a sign that says "Dont stop, We'll bill you." lol.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride the line! Works in TX. I went on a ride yesterday(it was on a cruiser cause my baby is in pieces). Anyways i went on a ride and we took some toll roads and they told me to ride the white line when you past through them. Seems to work for them. Or just tuck you plate way under your tail so people from the street can see it but nothing from above can. I also have mine tilted like so. / so my plate is facing the ground kinda.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Ride the line! Works in TX. I went on a ride yesterday(it was on a cruiser cause my baby is in pieces). Anyways i went on a ride and we took some toll roads and they told me to ride the white line when you past through them. Seems to work for them. Or just tuck you plate way under your tail so people from the street can see it but nothing from above can. I also have mine tilted like so. / so my plate is facing the ground kinda.
They're installing new technology because of that, so it will stop working in a while (then they'll start mailing invoices). Just read about it in the tollroad newsletter. I use the EZ Pass, tucked in the trunk of the 954 and works fine. Cheaper than having the bike impounded.

Quick Reply: Running Tolls...