Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding in winter>>>????

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in winter>>>????

NEW TO motorcycling. purchased a 1994 cbr f2.. will be picking up next month... need advice on riding in winter...

Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. There's threads going right now on winter riding & cold wx protection. Just look around (search) & you'll find them.

Congrats on your new-to-you bike.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM

winter riding in atlanta? put on a jacket?
i wear lots of warm layers when i ride in the winter. i usualy wait a couple days after a snowstorm to let the sand get moved off the road by the cars. still have to be carefull for sand at intersections. ill usualy only ride in the winter if its both sunny and above 40f.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM

welcome and congrats on ur bike.....

ATLANTA winters come on man...whats the coldest it gets down there 30-40s maybe thats not a winter thats fall up here in stl

Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 PM

The answer is layers. layers. layers.

Underarmor shirt / leggings are great. Keep your hands and feet warm. Get a Baklava too.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Riding in winter? I wear jeans sneakers and a tshirt? :P

lol I'm in Texas it never is not riding season

Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM

Keeping your hands warm is a must. Make sure to invest in a good pair of gloves. Funny question: Do they make heated grips for your bike?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Default Winter riding

+1 on the need for layers and keeping the hands warm. Find the largest windbreaker style jacket and pants you can find, large enough to fit over whatever other cold weather gear you have on. Trust me, 6 layers of sweat pants won't work as well as 1 pr. of sweats covered by one pr. of windproof pants. You don't want to be so thickly and tightly bundled that it cuts off blood flow or makes it hard to move around. There are some pretty decent cold weather gloves out there and there are universal style heated hand grips that will fit any bike if you want to go that route. We may be in the south, but 30 degrees down here doesn't feel the same as 30 degrees up north. I think it might have something to do with the humidity.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM

[quote=sparkman;972531 We may be in the south, but 30 degrees down here doesn't feel the same as 30 degrees up north. I think it might have something to do with the humidity.[/quote]

thats 100% true...

i have a sister in law that live in colorado and in winter when she come to visit its feels colder here than in colorado cuz of the humitdy....the temp there could be 20 degrees and it could be 35 degrees here and they claim that the air is so much more colder here than there

Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by sparkman
We may be in the south, but 30 degrees down here doesn't feel the same as 30 degrees up north. I think it might have something to do with the humidity.
Thats because you guys are not use to it...I couldnt imagine having to put layers on to ride in Atlanta...I have rode when it was 15 degrees and I dont care what your wearing the cold air still finds its way in...I have found a good way to keep my hands warm are by putting on latex gloves under my regular gloves. I also wear a Balaclava....before I started wearing both of those it was painful...now its a little more manageable...

Quick Reply: Riding in winter>>>????