Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in the rain

Hey everybody. I will be picking up my motorcycle from the dealer today or tomorrow (they did a warranty service), and it has started raining. I haven't ridden in the rain yet, and I am a little intimidated. Obviously, I'll need to slow down. Does anyone have some other pointers. You guys were so helpful when it came to suggestions on riding the "superslab", and my confidence level has increased immensely. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Default RE: Riding in the rain

Stay in the tracks left by other cars if possible... don't try dragging your knees. =]

Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM

Pray it doesn't happen, but when the grip on your tires start to slide while in a turn, immediately start turning wider and completely shift your weight to the other side. otherwise you risk lowsiding or highsiding. Both of which hurt your body immensely. Good luck and always ride with your hi-beams on. Might be a good idea to have your tires properly inflated as well. Remember when you first start riding engine brake more than usual so it warms your tires up faster, therefore giving you more grip.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:16 PM

you'll be fine if you have decent tires i did a 3 hour ride in the rain/sleet and the colder it got the faster i went (within reason)... i had on a pair of pilot powers. its not bad inless you hit a puddle or some oil.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:16 PM

How does engine braking warm up your tires faster?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul Square

How does engine braking warm up your tires faster?

friction

Old 10-17-2006, 02:22 PM

How is more friction generated by a different braking method? I suppose that was the question I should have asked.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:14 PM

Keep everything slow and smooth. Always allow for more braking distance, and if its raining pretty good turn your head sideways and the wind will clean off your shield. Be calm and safe.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try not to lean in the turns. when i normally take a turn at a light or something, i dip it low, but when its raining i go slow enough to actually turn the handlebars to not lean the bike over. i dont like riding in the rain at all, im more paranoid than anything. too much to enjoy the ride usually.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul Square

How is more friction generated by a different braking method? I suppose that was the question I should have asked.
x2?

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain