Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding with Children

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Riding with Children

I have a question, how many of you out there, ride with your kids?

I have a seven year old myself whom I'd like to take with me on some trips. How many of you do the same?

What safety devices (if any) do you use other then a helmet? I'm concerned she'd fall off, but I've seen a seat belt like thing which the driver wraps around himself, then around the child passenger.

Any thoughts about this?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrap a couple layers of bubble wrap around them. then a another layer of leather. and a helmet than a larger helmet on top of that. but putting a small child that is unpredictable on machince where there could fall of at speed is danagous. teach the child how to ride on a little dirt bike or a scooter or mini bike first. or keep the childern up front where you can keep control.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Check your local laws first. Some places like here where I live it's illegal to put a child under 9 on a bike. That said I have always started with my kids & grand kids on the front from as early as about two. Helmet, Gloves, sleeves, jeans & good shoes. Then all we do is first gear up & down my street which is pretty quiet. They are controlled between my arms & feel safe & secure. Once they are able to put their feet on the rear pegs properly they are on the back. Still slowly & constantly talking to them. Make sure they are comfortable with what you do. Let them know things before it happens eg. "I'm going to give it a bit more power. Is that ok?" And so it goes on.
I used to take my seven year old son (now 22) on country rides. Kids don't fall off unless the rider is pretty darn stupid but they have been known to fall asleep. I don't know if it's a good idea but what I and many others back then used to do was put a bungee strap around ourselves & out kids but only on long nonstop rides.
I can now do anything with my kids on the bike. They all love it & are safe because I took the time to teach them properly. (Bum on seat. Feet on pegs at all times. Hold on at all times. Have fun at all times & let me know if something is not right.
Hope this helps & welcome to the forum.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

There's no way I'd ever take my seven year old on the bike. The possible consequences far outweigh the reward.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Definatly check the local laws. He in wa they have to be 10 or 12 can't remember which.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Incognito
There's no way I'd ever take my seven year old on the bike. The possible consequences far outweigh the reward.
I agree, your child is the most precious thing ever ... seven is too young, in my opinion ... wait until they are older, maybe about 12 or so ..I know we can't keep them wrapped in cotton wool but neither do we need to put them needlessly in danger, seven is too young to understand any risks .. if you do this please take the best care ever and keep it slow and short distance.

Jules

Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Default kiddo's

ive olny took them on very short rides , thru the neighborhood, but i would not even concider goin thru traffic, or on interstates...dont trust the cages while my reason for living is on the back. good luck...

Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 AM

While I can certainly understand what you're saying, this is Europe. (Not sure if that's better or worse then back in the states when regarding traffic.)

My kid's been with me on both a scooter and my old 250cc street legal motard. (But rode up front.) Never been out of town with her on the bike though, just around here locally and she's enjoyed herself immensely.

Here's a similar product I've seen for sale here in Europe: http://www.childridingbelt.com/faq.htm (Child riding harness)

There's some nice (and quiet) back roads here I'd love to take her on.

But with the proper motorcycle gear and this harness to help keep her upright, would you take your child out for a spin on the back roads?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by Juliet
I agree, your child is the most precious thing ever ... seven is too young, in my opinion ... wait until they are older, maybe about 12 or so ..I know we can't keep them wrapped in cotton wool but neither do we need to put them needlessly in danger, seven is too young to understand any risks .. if you do this please take the best care ever and keep it slow and short distance.

Jules
but the CRF50 is made for 6 year olds :P I have one sitting in my garage that i stunt on but when I have kids you better believe my boy or girl is going to ride the wheels off it all by his or herself! 3 gears and it will do 35 with me on it easy

Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bluebeard
Hope this helps & welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome.

Quick Reply: Riding with Children