Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is riding an art to you?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is riding an art to you?

What do you think guys?

I'd gotten an assignment in my English class to write an essay about (and yes it is vague) "What is Art to you? What do you concider Art to be?"

Writing is hard for me, and I'm not a very artistic person. Writing in English is even harder, since it's my second language. And so we are free to pick pretty much any kind of visual things\objects to write about. I immediately thought about bikes (looking at my jacket and helmet sitting in front of me during the class ). Maybe someone can throw some inspiring things in here!

Art of technologies? Art of techiques that are applied on tracks? Mix of the two?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Art is the results of the artist trying to convey something to the viewer. Anything can be art.

Go into Sights & Sounds and go thru all the posts from Juliet. Video editing and slapping in some music isn't what makes her riding art. She's expressing herself. The road is her canvas, the bike is her paintbrush. The videos and pictures she brings back are the works of art she created with them.

Watch any of the racing videos. Look at how the riders move, how they flow through the corners. How perfectly they lean their bikes down to make a turn, making everything look effortless. Their movements often done with more precision than any dance.

Basically look at people riding for whatever reason they ride. The pics and the vids are them expressing themselves, their talent. And then just describe what you see, what you feel and what they're trying to tell you

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Both for sure. I enjoy working on my old girl close to as much as riding. Riding is still visibly in the lead. Maybe if I had more money for parts,......

Sorry, back to you. Riding technique is art, a perfect line, through a curve, is a beautiful thing. Balance and friction keeping you on the edge of chaos, takes skill and practice, to make it perfect, like art. And if you do it wrong, it can be ugly!!! If that ain't art I don't know what is.

Tuning is a black art; if you have 4 carbs. I am no master of it either. Go to:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/mo...ing/index.html The Street savvy stuff is pretty good sometimes.

Good luck,
Patrick

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Art is the results of the artist trying to convey something to the viewer. Anything can be art.

Go into Sights & Sounds and go thru all the posts from Juliet. Video editing and slapping in some music isn't what makes her riding art. She's expressing herself. The road is her canvas, the bike is her paintbrush. The videos and pictures she brings back are the works of art she created with them.

Watch any of the racing videos. Look at how the riders move, how they flow through the corners. How perfectly they lean their bikes down to make a turn, making everything look effortless. Their movements often done with more precision than any dance.

Basically look at people riding for whatever reason they ride. The pics and the vids are them expressing themselves, their talent. And then just describe what you see, what you feel and what they're trying to tell you
Said it better, and types faster I can't win!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by 2H company
What do you think guys?

I'd gotten an assignment in my English class to write an essay about (and yes it is vague) "What is Art to you? What do you concider Art to be?"

Writing is hard for me, and I'm not a very artistic person. Writing in English is even harder, since it's my second language. And so we are free to pick pretty much any kind of visual things\objects to write about. I immediately thought about bikes (looking at my jacket and helmet sitting in front of me during the class ). Maybe someone can throw some inspiring things in here!

Art of technologies? Art of techiques that are applied on tracks? Mix of the two?
Ide just stick to the art or riding alone... i mean like any art it takes alot of time to master... no one ever really "masters" riding though

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/03/29...st-motorcycle/

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

IMO I wouldn't call riding an art, however the style of any motorcycle is absolutely art. Take a look at all the engineering that was done to your bike and start writing

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM

If it were me, I'd ride over to the Getty museum, walk around, look at some original artwork, then write a paper on what I saw and how it made me feel.

I love bikes, and I love art, but trying to combine the two is hard for an English paper. : )

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

After thinking about it, I guess both aspects can be called art. It takes a lot of talent to be able to control a mc at speed with grace. Just as much as a painter needs.

Also from motorcycles at a standstill. It takes a sharp eye and attention to detail to design and produce a good lookin bike. Then just as much or more to add tasteful mods/upgrades. Definitly art in my book.

Good luck with your paper, let us know how it goes if you decide on the riding theme.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd equate riding more to a state of mind than an actual art form. my 2 c's
From a spectator perspective I'm sure some artistic appreciation could be derived
form it ....... who doesn't love to watch Moto GP, SBK or TT etc......
Grid Girls / Paddocks Girls just add that little bit of extra ooommmphh to the
artistic view of things

So Dude , bikes and girls good combo to write about in any language

Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM

+1 Sprock
Umbrella girls = Art *Edit* NSFW Picture.

Last edited by RojerLockless; 05-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is riding an art to you?