Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ride of the Century deaths

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
Is it though, Kuro? I'm not saying there aren't "bad apples", but most of the videos show that the overwhelming majority are just riding. Sure, there will always be those couple of guys riding wheelies. But to say it's 100 bikes rolling down the road up on one is not even close. And there are roughly 3000 bikes there. You think that 1500 of them are stunting on the highway? Even if it were 100 - that's still only 3%
Maybe 3% are stunting but the other 97% are breaking at least one law during that ride.
What about when they swarm cars on the highway that are going slower, You can't say that is safe yet everyone there has a part in it.
I agree with Kuro that at least half at some point in time during the ride are riding like an idiot.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that I am fairly new to riding sport bikes... just a couple years riding now, and watching that 2012 ROC video was like watching an advertisment of why NOT to ever be a part of that ride...

As far as the police "abuse of force", I honestly didn't see any... what I did see was way more than half of that group using highly illegal and VERY dangerous manuvers to evade when they were simply being prompted to stop. Nothing says "I'm innocent" like running, right?

I'm no angel when it comes to travelling on the highway, I do enjoy the sensation of speed (in my car or on my bike), but I honestly believe there is time and place when it's safer to "let loose"... As far as any state patrol, I'm honestly not a fan, I normally feel like their only purpose is to generate revenue.

So even with those two items in mind... I still have to side with the authorities in that video and in the news stories from this year's ROC, assuming it's the same type of crowd.

It's these news stories and events that have me defending myself about riding a sport bike... like I have to prove I'm not one of "those guys". It's kind of a bummer. Sadly there is a well earned stigma about Harley riders too... a different stigma, but still one that has to be overcome by the regular guy who just likes to ride his Harley motorcycle on the weekend...

Ah, well... just felt like tossing my two cents in there... I will add, one of the reasons I like this forum (because there are MANY sport bike forums to join out there) is that most guys here seem relatively sensible and just out to safely enjoy themselves... We need to spread more of THAT stigma around!

Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Maybe 3% are stunting but the other 97% are breaking at least one law during that ride.
What about when they swarm cars on the highway that are going slower, You can't say that is safe yet everyone there has a part in it.
I agree with Kuro that at least half at some point in time during the ride are riding like an idiot.
So, you're saying everyone is a criminal in that vid? They all break some sort of law? How? Where? (and I'm not talking about the handful of guys that run up the wrong way of the entrance ramp)

Originally Posted by jmeekman

As far as the police "abuse of force", I honestly didn't see any... what I did see was way more than half of that group using highly illegal and VERY dangerous manuvers to evade when they were simply being prompted to stop. Nothing says "I'm innocent" like running, right?
You don't think impounding a motorcycle because "The engine is warm" is an abuse of force? You don't think hitting a motorcyclist with a police cruiser is wrong? That's fine.

And let me tell you something. The guys who ran - they didn't get caught. Other's (the one's who didn't run) were the ones that got cited. You do realize just about every bike followed the law right?

I'd love to hear everyone's take if they happened to be one of the ones that this happened to.

But I'm done with it. You guys think I'm defending the "stunners". I'm not. I'm saying that the police overreact. You've got 500,000 people that go to Daytona for an entire week, and you don't hear about this sort of stuff.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-05-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM

So, you're saying everyone is a criminal in that vid? They all break some sort of law? How? Where? (and I'm not talking about the handful of guys that run up the wrong way of the entrance ramp)
So out of 3000 people 15 got arrested.
How many of them just drive all over the highway without any regards to lanes or other motorists on the road? Thats breaking the law.
How many of them stopped at the road block? Thats breaking the law.
Running red lights to stay together and not get caught by cops?
How many of them pulled over when the police pull up with the lights going? I think more people threatened the police car by swerving at them and brake checking them and trying to block the path than actually pulled over.
I didn't say to what extent they were breaking the law but they all were, and the worst is to hear them complain about "Ohh the police are abusing their authority" Dont be a douche and the cops shouldn't be dicks back.

If they want to do this they should get the permits and try to close down some streets, (They do it here at the local sportbike rally of usually about 1000 bikes and call it the thunder run) The police block intersections and let the bikes go from one end of the city to the other, Kids and parents all come to watch it. When you work with them, they won't treat you like the criminal you are acting like.

In my opinion, If you feel like disregarding the law because you have a sportsbike

This is what they have to deal with, I would have no problem if the cop PIT maneuvered him:

Last edited by jeffjones; 09-05-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones

This is what they have to deal with, I would have no problem if the cop PIT maneuvered him:

So, I just want to be sure I understand. You think that guy deserves to die? Because he taunts a cop on a sport bike? Justifiable use of deadly force?

...okay...

Good job posting a video of something completely unrelated too.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM

So, I just want to be sure I understand. You think that guy deserves to die? Because he taunts a cop on a sport bike? Justifiable use of deadly force?

...okay...

Good job posting a video of something completely unrelated too.
I didn't say he deserves to die, If he is on the brakes he is probably doing like 30mph, thats not going to kill you on an open highway.
If your going to be dumb you got to be tough.

But yes, if you brake check a car as bad as he did you deserve to get hit.

Sorry, It looked like the ROTC guys (Or some knock off douche convention). But they ride the exact same way so I don't know how the video is unrelated?

So your brilliant idea is to just let them do whatever they want?

So you would be fine if your wife and children (If you have them) were in a car on the highway when all these asshats coming flying by doing wheelies and burnouts and who knows how good they all are.
Or what happens if they were walking across the street when 1000's of these guys running from the cops start running red's to get away?

You are fine with that? If so have fun at your next ROTC because the only way you would be fine with this type of douchery is if you are there with them.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Any time there is a bike vs a car - it's a situation that could kill the rider. The bike could get stuck under the car, the rider could get stuck underneath the bike, the car, a guard rail, etc. Even at 30mph. Especially when you consider how heavy police cruisers are. So yes, it's lethal force to use a pit maneuver against a bike. Period. Go google how many deaths happen with motorcycles going under 30mph if you really want to debate it. You can't be serious.

And I posted that vid a while ago (maybe even a year ago - I don't really remember). But I think it was in Texas or maybe somewhere else. Either way - it's not Ride of the Century. Just because one douche bag video is made, doesn't mean it relates to all bikers. If it does, you're saying it relates to you too. Stick to the topic.

I'm not defending the stunters or guys who run. How many times do I need to say I'm not defending them or their actions before you stop trying to make that connection. It's like a broken record with you now in the last 3 posts. So please, before you respond - go look at the posts I made. I never said "Just let them run wild!" And when did I mention my "brilliant" idea? I never did.

Go ask anyone who has ever been on street duty as a cop. You pick your battles. Because let me tell you, if one of those cops hit and killed one of those bikers (especially the one with a girl on the back), you better believe there would be lawsuits coming out of the department's ***. And, would it have been worth it? Is a rider is committing a traffic violation worth being killed for no reason (in the scheme of things)? The cops started that situation (in the first video I posted). Do you honestly think that cops have the same rights, concessions, and legal ability to be wrong like citizens do? They don't, they're held to a much higher standard. They're not allowed to hind behind "Oops, I made a mistake" like citizens are. So there is a huge burden on officers to approach situations trying to keep the public safe at the cost of not putting them in more danger and maybe loosing out on a traffic stop. (Do cops fire guns into large groups of citizens trying to stop one man? - That's pretty stupid)

The officer in your video, the one you posted, did the right thing. Let the dash cam get all of the information and DON'T cause a scene on the interstate that could get someone killed. I guess that's my "brilliant" idea. Don't overreact. Which is what I said in the beginning. (btw, I'm pretty sure there were arrests made of the actual people in the video you posted - unlike most of the ROC)

If in the video (going back to my 1st one), the police had not gotten out of the cars - if they wouldn't have tried to grab one fleeing rider with their bare hands - if another one hadn't been outside of his car reaching for his gun - They could have better positioned the car to get information on the bikes.

And then, don't go impounding motorcycles because the engines are warm anywhere in the city. Did you even read the articles? Did you even watch the videos? How does that help anything?

Simply put - I'm not the one who said "they did nothing wrong" with respect to the riders. You're the one who said "they did nothing wrong" with respect to the cops. Do you really think that they're doing NOTHING wrong?

With respect to the wife and kids scenario (yes, I have both, btw).

By the way - I'm not a stunter. I'd rather have a guilty rider walk free than an innocent rider arrested or have their bike wrongly impounded.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:00 PM
      Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Part of the issue I have with this ROC is that I have to live with the stigma throughout the year of what many people associate a sport bike with. Most of the ROC stunt clowns ride into town, stay a few days and then leave. They couldn't care less what their antics cause while they're here.

I am not a part of the group but just because I ride a bike that looks like theirs I get closer scrutiny from the cops. I've seen the MO highway patrol two lanes over from me on a local interstate slow down and tail me for 5 miles while I'm sure my plate was being run through the computer. I don't need that kind of attention when I'm out riding, generally staying within the law.

Here are a few more articles form the local St. Louis paper about last weekend's ROC if anyone wants to read them.
      The latest figures say 47 arrests, 58 impounded bikes, at least 55 tickets for traffic violations and 2 deaths related to the event.

Dozens arrested by police during weekend motorcycle rally in St. Louis

Police roadblock at St. Louis riverfront slows 'Ride of Century'

2 motorcyclists die in St. Louis area

Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 PM
      Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it though, Kuro? I'm not saying there aren't "bad apples", but most of the videos show that the overwhelming majority are just riding. Sure, there will always be those couple of guys riding wheelies. But to say it's 100 bikes rolling down the road up on one is not even close. And there are roughly 3000 bikes there. You think that 1500 of them are stunting on the highway? Even if it were 100 - that's still only 3%

Here is kind of my point. I'd rather a few kids get away with riding wheelies on the highway instead of this happening. (Kind of like the old saying, I'd rather error on the side of a guilty man walking free than an innocent man being imprisoned)

Ride of the Century: Joe Challoner Says Cops Illegally Towed Motorcycle, Will Sue (VIDEO)

The only reason they give is "The engine is warm." Watch the video.
      Watched the video. The owner of the bike was legally right. But why so sure he wasn't out on the road minutes before, 1 wheel up in the air? We have his half of the story.

My problem with RoC is whatever the original intent was, it's now mostly about giving the finger to "The Man". The attitudes of the majority have made it that. So you can't go pointing at the LEOs for overstepping their boundaries without doing the same for the whole event. Nobody has yet to answer if they've ever sought official sanction for the event.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM
      Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Several people from around here went to this. They got arrested once and their bikes impounded twice, the first round was before the ride even happened. The cops told everyone they were going to make a statement this year and they did, unfortunetley it seems they overstepped. Stunters are a-holes on the public roads when they get in big groups normally so I understand why the cops dislike them but they are letting it get personal and thats a problem.

Quick Reply: Ride of the Century deaths