Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Retreadophobia

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retreadophobia

Retreads' tread comes off in chunks. Those big tread rings are from new manufactured tires.

Mythbusters did an episode on semi tires going thru windows.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM

here in michigan deer scare the hell out of me watch these videos.both rinsanehttp://youtube.com/watch?v=CaSEOaJ5phYhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=A6VS6qsLJeY

Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to deer in Michigan I almost hit one 2 days ago at 12:30 in the afternoon!! It jumped in front of me and then tried to take on the BMW in the other lane. I have seen tires come off and retreads come off in chunks. I ALWAYS stay away from the car haulers cars fall off those things alot more than you know. I also stay away from the motor homes with cars hooked to the back. I don't like the idea that some 90 year old guy probably hooked that up.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

It's every truckers responsiblity, to do a walk around check before they drive. That includes, checking the oil levels in the wheels, that the bolts are on tight.
And if the oil level in the wheels is low, make sure you add coolant to the taillight.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM

Around here it's the dump trucks full of sand, gravel, boulders, whatever. Most of the trucks look beat half to death and crap is always blowing off. None of them are required to have their license plate where you can actually see it and the trucks have a sticker saying "Keep back at least 100 feet. Not responsible for any damage". So either drop back, pass or eat s**t and die I guess.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

But here in Canada, if anything !!comes off your truck and cause property damage or hurts someone. Your liable for it!.. If it kills someone, your going to jail for man slaughter.
It's every truckers responsiblity, to do a walk around check before they drive. That includes, checking the oil levels in the wheels, that the bolts are on tight. Checking the air brakes. Making sure the load is secure. etc
That's not true in the states. Yes you're responsible for you truck, but if a tire blows it's an accident and you most likely won't be called a murderer or vehicular assualt. **** happens.

I think too many of you guys are blaming this on the retread issue, it's more a big truck issue. You all must remember that when there are 18 tires it's alot more chance of a failure. And when they are cruising with 20 tons of weight you better factor that in as well. The retreads certaintly aren't the same quality tire as a new one, but i bet 90% of the time it's got nothing to do with the retread and more to do with the semi-load and road conditions, etc. Alot can go wrong with such a load and that many tires.

I'm a big fan of the wider tires that semi's are using now, have you guys seen these? One tire replaces the double tires that they use.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Here in Oregon...they can have 3...count em 3 trailers behind a semi truck. I absolutely give it the gas and get ahead of those things when I'm on the bike. I saw the Mythbusters show also...in a word:

DAMN [:'(]