Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Retreadophobia

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retreadophobia

I had one blow as I passed the truck...sounded like a damn bomb going off, and made my right foot hurt. When I got home, I found a chunk of tread the size of a quarter with the steel belts still attached pierced through my boot and just barely into my foot...good times (and another reason to always gear up).

Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Lamar Vannoy

On Mythbusters they verified that a piece of tread flying up from a truck could about take your head off.

i saw that..

My fear is stuff falling out of cars/trucks.. On my F4 i hit a washing machine still in the boxat about 40 in Feb of 2000... thank god for gear, because i went flyiing and landed in the grass after hitting the curb, the driver kept going.<-guess hefigured the washer wasnt worth what he was going to get slapped withwhen he stopped.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM

I just had a damn semi tire tread hit my window bout two weeks ago, the window was touching my dashboard and glass all in the passenger seat...and I believe that it could take your head off if you are traveling at a highway speeds
Name:  Picture.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  93.9 KB

oh yea and that morning I was going to ride my bike(I almost always ride to work) but I couldn't find the keys to my bike...otherwise I might have tested that theory

Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Old 06-26-2008, 02:47 PM

Damn! I had one of those hit my car once coming back from Vegas I had the wife and kids in the car and it was at night too but thank god for my fast reflex's cause I moved out the way enough to where it only the side of the car which I lost my front bumper and anice dent on the side driver side door but nothing else and no one was hurt. Yeah hate those damn things but not scared to drive next to them or by them i will not drive behind them though LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM

I was in rush hour traffic in Cincinnati, in a construction zone, with a one of those cement barriers on one side and a car on the other, wasn't no moving for me...

Old 06-26-2008, 04:21 PM

I'm a truck driver here in Canada. Usually all trucking companies retread thier trailer tires. The reason is that new ones are freakin expensive ! To replace all the ones on the traielr will cost you over $5000 can, where a retread will cost you 30-50% of that. And usually 99% of the time the tire will be good forever.
Infact Id say just about every truck on the road has retreads on it, some tires it's hard to tell they even been retreaded.
BUt there's the ones where they wen't done right, the tire was too old, and come off. I don't know about the states because every state laws is differn't. But here in Canada, if anything !!comes off your truck and cause property damage or hurts someone. Your liable for it!.. If it kills someone, your going to jail for man slaughter.
It's every truckers responsiblity, to do a walk around check before they drive. That includes, checking the oil levels in the wheels, that the bolts are on tight. Checking the air brakes. Making sure the load is secure. etc So if you ever see anything fall off a truck, call the transportation police with the liceance number. Or even the cops!!they will have him pulled over so fast it will make your head spin. That or at the next scale they will go over his truck with a fine tooth comb. Trust me, the transport cops are 100x worse then any cop can be. And what they say is final.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those things can take your head clean off!!!![:-]

Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM

I almost hit a dog once doing about 70 on my old F4i, that was scary...it ran outin front of me and turned back at the last second...

...I'm not usually going slow enough to have to worry about being near a big rig on the highway...

Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM

Wow 30% - 50% of the cost forretread tires..... Well they oviously don't last forever cause they are all over the place on the highways. There's so many accidents duethis damn things flying all over the place.