Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Recommend a Worthwhile Family Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 10:35 PM
Default RE: Recommend a Worthwhile Family Car

ORIGINAL: RCR

So you saved up $2500 and your fiance is going to fall in love with something in the 6g range. Guess whats next? "If you sell the bike we can get this much safer and more dependable car for our child, plus I want you to be around for the little one."

Quit looking around and buy the next 4 door you see before it comes to that.

I see you're a wise man RCR with that astute comment!

Old 09-14-2007 | 07:36 AM
Ty

ORIGINAL: F4Isvt

hate to break into you but toyota and hondas are the most american cars on the road today. So maybe someone should give the "american car story" I will agree I had a toyota pickup all orginal except brakes and clutch with 210k and it still runs like a champ.
Your exactly right. For those that don't realize what F4Isvt is saying, do some research on where the money actually goes when you buy a car. You may be surprised at what you find.

Old 09-14-2007 | 09:04 AM
|

ORIGINAL: Rubicon on 38s
How in the H E Double Kickstands did you get to test drive a Lambo? My brother-in-law works for a VW dealership. The dealership decided to buy a Gallardo and not one employee was even allowed to sit in it.
Hense the sarcasm...I was J/K

ORIGINAL: RCR

So you saved up $2500 and your fiance is going to fall in love with something in the 6g range. Guess whats next? "If you sell the bike we can get this much safer and more dependable car for our child, plus I want you to be around for the little one."

Quit looking around and buy the next 4 door you see before it comes to that.
Yeah, she actualy got pissed when I brought up the I idea of selling off some of my toys to afford the car. I do see my riding time being crunched in the future thou.

Old 09-14-2007 | 11:43 AM

Like VooDoo said, stay away from the 2-door cars with a baby. We had a 95 T-Bird when my son was born. It had a huge back seat but after bumping my head a bunch of times and bumping his car seat around on everything (door frame, quarter panel, front seat), I got my wife a Taurus wagon (2001). That was a nice car but had too may problems after it was out of warranty.

I realize that it is probably way out of your budget, but we traded the Taurus on a 2005 Pacifica (Chrysler), and absolutely love it! I would recommend one to anyone looking for a family vehicle (not technically a car).

Old 09-17-2007 | 09:11 AM
|

Here's a Beemer that's in my range...not sure if it would be a good choice though?
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/car/422071689.html

And a Grand Prix that I asked info about
http://greenbay.craigslist.org/car/424412070.html

Old 09-17-2007 | 07:08 PM

I would stick with honda/toyota. I have a 95 4door accord 170k...runs like a champ,great on gas,cheap to insure. The wife has an 03 328i with 60k and is always having electrical/sensor problems sucks gas, and pays a large insurance bill.

Old 09-17-2007 | 08:20 PM

Look into some late 90s hondas or acuras. You cant beat them! My first car was a Ford Probe GT, got it for around your budget. Man, was that thing a piece of crap, well it wasnt after another extra $1500 to fix the mechanical issues. THen, I got a 92 Acura Integra, now that thing was sweet, never had an issue whatsoever. However, being a dumbass, I thought I wanted something that looked newer, went for a 2000 Mustang. What a stupid idea, it was in the shop every other week. Now, it back to a Honda.

Another thought, my dad has a Honda that is getting ready to turn 300,000 miles in the next month or two. Never an issue with it, other than the normal things that need to be done, as the miles rack up!

Hope this helps a little bit!

Old 09-24-2007 | 07:30 AM
|

Okay, I've been lookin everywhere for the imports and the only ones that I find are out of my budget. So I have found some Ford Torasses.
They are a '96 wagon and a '97 sedan.
My question...the are both 3.0L engines, is that a good/bad thing? My old mans '96 was a 24 or 32 valve engine that was diffrent than these so I'm winding off the path of getting a car that was just like his, he never put any money into his and he gave it to my sister with over 200k on it!

Old 09-24-2007 | 08:18 AM

The early- to mid-'90s Tauruses had notoriously bad auto transmissions. If you can find one with the manual, that would be sweet. I guess I thought you were looking for newer cars and can't believe I didn't think of Jettas. Try looking for the last couple years of MkIII Jettas, they should be right in your price range for the '95-'98 model years. The 2.0 is a bulletproof motor unless you run it through several feet of standing water.

Old 09-24-2007 | 08:34 AM
Retired Moderator

How about a nice Family Truckster?

Quick Reply: Recommend a Worthwhile Family Car