Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

(Rant) Previous owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Rant) Previous owners

I know when buying anything used, it's Caveat Emptor. But come on! Some people simpy don't know how to take care of shyte! I got my bike for $500. I know at that price I should be happy it actually started. But the things I've found wrong are through plain willful ignorance! Would it have killed her to pay attention to WTF people did to her bike?

The previous owner paid someone to paint her bike. They rattlecanned it. Which can be done well if you take your time. They did not! How the **** do you mismatch premixed spray paint??? And how the **** do you layer it on so thick that I'm now on the 3rd application of paint stripper and just barely seeing the plastic?

Putting the wrong spacers on the front wheel? Bolts snapped off on the rear brake mount, meaning the caliper was hanging on by a prayer? Enough bad splices I shoulda electrocuted myself simply sitting on the seat? BENDING the sidestand to accomodate lowering the bike?!?

I can understand not being mechanically inclined. I can understand not wanting to be mechanically inclined. But if something is beyond my abilities (or my desire) I'm gonna make sure whoever I get to do it DOES IT RIGHT! Especially if it's something that can end my life in less than a second!

Ok, I feel much better now. Back to stripping the bike Least the tank will be easy since I can use the strong stuff

Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People usually sell a bike for a reason...if they bought it new themselves they've seen it slip from the pristine showroom condition to whatever sits before you now. Maintenance which may have been by the book at first slips till if it aint broke don't fix it. So usually what you pick up hasn't been ridden for a couple of years, wasn't properly prepared for storage, and has been hastily ressurected for a quick sale if they even bothered. Just get it out of my garage so the old lady doesn't bump into it with the car again...
Its importance as the dream machine it once was has been forgotten and now you are presented with the opportunity to bring it back from the brink. Congradulations for taking it on.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Oh I'm bringing her back. But some things are just so frustrating

Name:  DSC00832.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  58.8 KB

Think how thick the paint has to be to develop a crack like that. And it's only the paint. The actual fairing is fine on both sides

Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of stripper is safe to use on fairings?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

In this case a hammer and chisel !

Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Based on someone else's reported success here I'm using this
Name:  DSC00836.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  66.7 KB

Availible at Home Depot. When I went to check it out, I was pleased to see that it was being stored in a plastic bottle. Also when reading the label it said "Test in an inconspicuous area before use on any plastic or synthetic surface".

I'm testing it on the fuse box cover. So far I've had it on there a couple hours at a time. It hasn't touched the plastic and is enabling me to use a plastic spatula to scrape the layers of paint off fairly easily. Its just that there are many, many thick layers on it

Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah its sad what people can do to a once proud machine, but you have saved it from an ignominious death & are going it restore it back to its former glory.
Good luck on the project

Old 10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see your using the stripping gel. I put alot of money into stuff before i found that citristrip so its good to see someone heeded my advice.

Anyways +18641298 on previous owners not taking care of their bikes.

I ran into all the problems you had. My wife read it and said it sounded like my bike. lol Good luck with the fix.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 AM

I think thats the reason i love stock CBR's. I love it when nobody messed it up with stupid. sad but true ...with out previous owners most of us could not afford this sport. Good luck with strippin all that paint, i could swear that was a crack in the fairing hahahaha. peace

Old 10-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Wow, that's some seriously ugly paint >< Glad to see you're restoring it.

Quick Reply: (Rant) Previous owners