Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

RANT: Part Time workers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT: Part Time workers...

A little intro: lots of you guys know, I'm in the cell phone biz and a few months ago my employrer decided it would rather hire part time employees instead of full time... so if I have 2-3 full time employees I have to have 4-6 part time employees to balance it out...

Anyway, what I realized after just a few weeks is that it seems like every single part time employee has something their more interested in that coming to work (i.e. I can't find people who are in any way committed to the job). Everybody who comes in for an interview is either not qualified or not at all interested in working part time.

Does anybody else seem to have this issue at their job or is it just my industry in parcitular that keeps dragging the bottom of the barrell for employees?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RANT: Part Time workers...

I think the whole problem is with the words "part time" ... people take them too literally or

...translate them as "occasional guest appearance" ..lol

Jules

Old 03-28-2008, 08:50 AM

no i think its the fact that people cant make much money working for you i assume >$10 per hr. so part time is not worth it.. thats the way it is in my biz.. people just cant afford to work part time anymore. the generation of working 2 part time jobs is gone.. we now think we can just work one job and be fine.. our generation is sooo lazy!!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
VP

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

no i think its the fact that people cant make much money working for you i assume >$10 per hr.
Well our particular company pays extremely well, so its actually right around $10/hr but you also get commission, which in a good sales reps case is another $1200-$1500 a month... that's comes out to like $20$25/hr ... Some of the better ones make $50-60k a year

Old 03-28-2008, 09:03 AM

VP! i was trying to remember the member that gave me cell phone advice a few months back.....

Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

no i think its the fact that people cant make much money working for you i assume >$10 per hr.
Well our particular company pays extremely well, so its actually right around $10/hr but you also get commission, which in a good sales reps case is another $1200-$1500 a month... that's comes out to like $20$25/hr ... Some of the better ones make $50-60k a year
Well in that case i dont know what to tell you.. if i was looking for a part timey i would be stoked to come across something like that..

Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 AM

part time means no benefits

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
VP

ORIGINAL: dusterdude

they get full benefits too... medical/health insurance/eyes/ears/teeth/blah blah blah...EVERYTHING. They get a $10 cell phone bill every month, free cell phones, extra bonus gift cards we give out every week, free accessories (car chargers, house chargers, bluetooth earpieces) they can expense every single damn expense they incur...

And there still isn't a single store in the market who doesn't have at least a one or two openings (max of 10 employees) every single month because the turnover is so high.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:01 PM

I dont understand the point of part time if you are paying them well, and offering benifits, then what is your boss's incentive to go part time.

btw, In my industry, I will not even talk to a person about part time employment unless he/she has already retired and just bored. otherwise, they are always looking for the better deal with no commitment to you===waste of your time

Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

ORIGINAL: dusterdude

they get full benefits too... medical/health insurance/eyes/ears/teeth/blah blah blah...EVERYTHING. They get a $10 cell phone bill every month, free cell phones, extra bonus gift cards we give out every week, free accessories (car chargers, house chargers, bluetooth earpieces) they can expense every single damn expense they incur...

And there still isn't a single store in the market who doesn't have at least a one or two openings (max of 10 employees) every single month because the turnover is so high.
Were do I sign up? Here in Louisiana everything thats not professional or construction is mimimum wage or near + no benefits and ungodly hours of slave labor.

Quick Reply: RANT: Part Time workers...