Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

A rant about PennDOT "inspections"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A rant about PennDOT "inspections"

PA guys, you know what I'm talking about.

I took the time and effort to replace all of my stock signals and marker lights with brighter, more obvious pieces soI can be seen easier and possibly not end up as someone windshield decoration. I go in for my inspection, and I'm told that these parts won't pass because they aren't "factory" and are therefore less safe. I'm also told that my aftermarket taillight can't be legal either (mind you, this is the factory taillight, Honda p/n and all). WTF?!?! I then am told that if I put the stock parts back on it, they will pass it. Now, you and Iboth know that even if this happens, I'm just going to come home and put the aftermarket, BRIGHTER, MORE VISIBLE parts back on it, so why not just pass the goddamn thing? Fookin beauracracy at it's finest, just laws being made to protect us from something we don't need protection from.
I'm more upset at the waste of a day it's going to take to replace all the stock ****, and then remove it again. ********.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Default RE: A rant about PennDOT "inspections"

Why did you have to have it inspected? Was it a salvage or something?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 AM

and this is why my bike was last inspected in 2004....

Old 09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rod38um

Why did you have to have it inspected? Was it a salvage or something?
PA requires annual inspection.

51, just go somewhere else! I have integrated tailights, flush mount fronts, and have relocated my plate, and I still passed! The mechanic gave me a hard time at first, but he passed me anyway. I have been rejected by some places though...all you gotta do is look.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:55 AM

Annual???? that sucks a$$.... Only time we have to have anything inspected is if you rebuild a total........

I'd be lobbying to get that stuff changed.... or move to another state..... sounds like a money gimmick to me

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Annual???? that sucks a$$.... Only time we have to have anything inspected is if you rebuild a total........

I'd be lobbying to get that stuff changed.... or move to another state..... sounds like a money gimmick to me

PA is ALL about money gimmicks...trust me on that one

Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM

yea just go somewhere else..sounds like the guys bein a dick...im in NY, where i go to get inspected they just walk around it and make sure the lights work...thats it

Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 PM

You just gotta keep trying.. I've had some stuff fail on those inspections.. like a tail light on my car was out and it was the one in the middle of the back window. The guy doing the inspection told me that if cars have lights they need to work in order to pass but some vehicles don't even have the middle lights so I should go and get a big sticker for my back window and hide the light and come back so he can act like he didn't know that he light existed. It's all up to the guy's discretion really, I'd just go somewhere else if they're giving you a hard time like redz said.

side note: Speaking of bs during inspections, I heard in some states they are failing Toyota Prius's on emissions testing because the cars don't idle when they sit still so they can't take a reading.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM

If your state isnt annual inspection then in your state you pay a huge *** tax. Cant remember where but it all equals out.

The reason they dont pass it is the state isnt going to higher people to test every single aftermarket item for bikes/vehicles to see if they work, if they are "as good or better", how long they'll last/how strong they are/ etc etc.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr
PA is ALL about money gimmicks...trust me on that one
Can we say "state store?"

Quick Reply: A rant about PennDOT "inspections"