Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

RAIN

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAIN

So I have only rode in the rain a dozen times or so....I wont go if it is already raining, but will take my chances. But when I am riding in the rain I always think my brakes are going to lock up so I drive so and dont brake hard.

My dad says not to use much of the front brake and harder on the back, I have followed his advice, and havent had them lockup yet....what do you guys think? the ones that actually ride in the rain.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Default RE: RAIN

I ride in the rain all the time--less front brake, more rear. If you lock the rear, it's an easy save...lock the front and it can hurt you quick. Rain-X is your friend, and find gloves with chamois cloth stitched in them to use as "Windshield wipers". Be careful cornering, stay out of the oil stripe in the middle of the lanes. Above all, remember that the wet road will bite you QUICKLY and give it the respect it deserves.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned

To add to what 51plymouth said, keep away from the road stripes. They become very very slippery when wet.

There is nothing really bad about riding in the rain, just have to be a little more cautious in some situations than you normally would. Give more time for braking, cornering and such. Its also the best time to have on reflective gear.

But I am just like you, I dont go out if its pouring down rain, but I will take a chance if it looks like it might not rain. Here in Seattle we have to deal with that often. Somedays it will look like its going to rain and nothing, not a drop.Otherdays it could look like its going to be nice and boom, you get soaked. Our weather here is a crap shoot.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

If your tires are warm and it's not a hurricane, you can still use plenty of front brake. I'm not saying you other guys are wrong but to be completely honest, I don't do anything any differently when it's raining - I only ride a bit slower.

If it's 35MPH and sunny out, I usually do 40 or a bit over. If it's 35MPH and raining, I'll prolly cruis at around 25-30 miles am hour - my brakes have never failed me.

Personally, it's my belief that the rear should be avoided as yes, it does lock up easily, even easier when it's wet. I wouldn't use the rear like that but if that's what makes you feel comfortable then go for it.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

If you are going faster than 35 or so and get buildup on your visor, just turn your head to the side for a second, it will take most of it off and you can see again. I know most prolly know that, but i had a few guys ask me last year what i was doin. Just a good lil tip.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:23 PM

TK beat me to the looking sideways thing to clear your visor.

Anyway, what everyone else said... just basically ride more carefully in the rain and you'll be fine. Also, getting into a tuck does wonders for keeping you sort-of dry.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:17 PM

yea reaper, I am always in a tuck when its raining, and my visor, it has rain-x so never had any problems there.

as far as kid, u dont do anything differently? do you ride in rain much? my dad has been riding for longer than I have been alive...so his advice is usually good. I was just wanting 2nd opinions and yours just stands out that you dont do anything different but ride a little slower?

i dunno I have a sport bike and if I am not going to work or riding with my wife/another person on the back I normally ride pretty hard through the turns, brake hard, accelerate hard, so to me its a totally different ball game.

I HATE to get my bike wet(makes it so dirty) but I hate when I dont ride b/c "it might rain" so I just about always take my chances...I just know there are alot of experienced riders here that love to ride just as much as I do and I would like to get some tips from them about riding in the rain.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 PM

Rain is easy. It's the snow you have to watch out for. Cold air, cold roads, cold tires, snow going into the gap between your helmet and your neck...really improves your driving skills. Obviously once the roads are iced over it's impossible, but I've ridden year-round up here in the mountains at 5k feet...well, not so much anymore. It makes me happier to keep new gear new, if you follow me.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:11 AM

I refuse to ride if there is even a chance of rain. I got cought in some BAD rain when I had my vtx and since then the bike stays in the garage if there is a chance of rain. I think getting cought in the rain in my jeep with the top and doors off is as bad as if not worse than being on the bike. there was just as much water on the inside of the winshield as there was on the outside and i couldn't see a damn thing

Old 05-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last time I had to ride in the rain, it turned into a flash flood. I was at an intersection riding home around 2am, and when I put my foot down, the water reached my ankles. Bike rode fine........but I was riding so slow to avoid hydroplaning.

Quick Reply: RAIN