Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Radio DJ bashing people who wear gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio DJ bashing people who wear gear

This was copy and pasted from the club board I read. This was at a Customer Appreciation Dayin St louis. Here is what the guy sent to his boss in an E-mail.

For those who don't know who Smash is, he works for 97.1 FM Talk radio. Below is my encounter with him at Ted's on Saturday. John Beck is the Senior Vice President at 97.1. I have not received a response from him. I am not looking to start a First Amendment debait here whether he is entitled to say anything he wants from stage.

Dear Mr. Beck,

I am writing to inform you that I will no longer be listening to your radio station based of the actions of Smash today at Ted's Customer Appreciation Day. I listened to Smash when he was on DC 101, after moving to St. Louis, found Smash and Karen on one of your competitors, then followed him to your station. Today was the first time I had the opportunity to see him live.

My friend and I were enjoying ourselves at Ted's. Then, we walked in front of the stage where Smash was performing. He stopped what he was doing to single us out of the crowd to ridicule us because we were wearing proper motorcycle riding gear. In front of hundreds of other riders, at a motorcycle dealer, representing your station, Smash's used us as the focus of his "Public Service" Announcement. I don't remember the comments word for word, but his message was that we must not know how to ride a motorcycle because we were wearing gear on such a hot day. Only someone expecting to crash their bike would wear heavy gear when its 95 degrees out. He continued to tell everyone in the crowd that we were planning on falling off of our bikes on the way home. We left Ted's because of his ridicule.

If he feels that wearing helmets and protective gear is foolish, that's his opinion and he has every right to believe that. If he wants to ride around in shorts, tee shirt, and sandals, that's his decision and he will live with the consequences. However, he does not have the right to promote that from stage while representing your station. He does not have the right to use the power of the microphone and your station to belittle people who do not believe the same. At a time where motorcycle accidents and deaths are increasing at an alarming rate, I would expect a radio personality to behave professionally and responsibly. If he doesn't believe in wearing gear, all he had to do is say nothing. I would ask for Smash to apologize, but I won't be listening to your station to hear it. I will also be posting this message to several of the local motorcycle club websites and the AMA.

Thank you,

Here are all the E-mail addys
email Smash: abenrubi@stl.emmis.com
email Alman: JAllman@stl.emmis.com
Here is the link to all the office email addresses and phone numbers: http://www.971talk.com/station_info/contact_info.aspx

Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Default RE: Radio DJ bashing people who wear gear

What a tool.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:48 AM

I HATE ignorance! [:@]

Old 08-19-2005, 06:08 PM

you dress for the fall not for the ride. and if i were you i would have told that dj to stop doing live performances cause he has a face soley made for radio.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:34 PM

i dont know that ive ever heard a "smart DJ"...its why they bs on the radio and play music for a living...

Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 PM

I don't care who you are that is just plane stupid! Also i don't care who you are you don't tell someone that they are going to crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have great discipline grasshopper...I would shown him what road rash he could experience without safety gear.....all over that freakin' stage.